OT - NO POLITICS We’ve entered the ‘ber’ months

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Absolute freak of nature. Hard to grasp how athletes such as Biles and Chusovitina are able to compete so well at their age in a sport in which most athletes peak in their teenage years. The physical aspects of high-level gymnastics at Biles' age are crazy enough, but the mental part and dedication to training for so long is incredible.
Chusovitina is just incredible. I am glad she is showing the younger generation that age is just a number.

Simone has taken the sport and changed it for the better both on and off the mat.

The great news is that both the men and women qualified full teams to the Paris 2024 Olympics :)

What a cheery world we live in.
Welcome to the poison that is social media

Reactions: missingchicklet

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Not that I am aware of. A lot of people are not covering the case because they don't want to deal with the trolls of the blogger @CDJ named.
Having read that Boston Mag article posted earlier, it's pretty clear to me that this woman killed her boyfriend, realized she was caught dead to rights, and then tossed a hail mary that this dingdong blogger caught and is running with. It's too bad someone can't put out a cease and desist order on them. Harassing a bunch of people that just lost a loved one? Terrible.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Having read that Boston Mag article posted earlier, it's pretty clear to me that this woman killed her boyfriend, realized she was caught dead to rights, and then tossed a hail mary that this dingdong blogger caught and is running with. It's too bad someone can't put out a cease and desist order on them. Harassing a bunch of people that just lost a loved one? Terrible.

Boston magazine left out a ton a details. The dog bites? The scratches? The deep black eyes and his swollen knuckles.

That's not consistent to being hit by a car.

His apple watch saying he was climbing stairs.

The sister in law with the google search? You don't think that's shady? Cmon now.

Let's ignore that Aidan guy or whatever he goes by. This case has a LOT of shady details and I'd hate for a innocent woman to go to jail because of corruption.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Boston magazine left out a ton a details. The dog bites? The scratches? The deep black eyes and his swollen knuckles.

That's not consistent to being hit by a car.

His apple watch saying he was climbing stairs.

The sister in law with the google search? You don't think that's shady? Cmon now.
Her car data indicating that she proceeded to reverse at great speed in the death timeline. Refusal to turn over her phone. Knowing exactly where the body was in the dark. Micro fragments of tailgate in the clothing. His phone never pinging in the house. This is all hard data.

How do you know that things like black eyes, swollen knuckles, etc are not possible when a car hits someone at high speed? Or from the ground he clearly contacted after being hit? Are the bites consistent with a German Shepard? Or just animal bites that could be a coyote, or another wild animal?

Honestly I don't care that much, I just see a really good defense attorney trying to introduce reasonable doubt, and a terrible blogger picking up the bait to try to make money/get famous.

I don't blame the defense attorney, this is their job. I do hate a blogger that will make an already terrible experience even worse for their 15 minutes of fame.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Her car data indicating that she proceeded to reverse at great speed in the death timeline. Refusal to turn over her phone. Knowing exactly where the body was in the dark. Micro fragments of tailgate in the clothing. His phone never pinging in the house. This is all hard data.

How do you know that things like black eyes, swollen knuckles, etc are not possible when a car hits someone at high speed? Or from the ground he clearly contacted after being hit? Are the bites consistent with a German Shepard? Or just animal bites that could be a coyote, or another wild animal?

Honestly I don't care that much, I just see a really good defense attorney trying to introduce reasonable doubt, and a terrible blogger picking up the bait to try to make money/get famous.

I don't blame the defense attorney, this is there job. I do hate a blogger that will make an already terrible experience even worse for their 15 minutes of fame.

The fresh dog bites would be consistent with the dog that lived in the residence at the time of the murder, that the family removed twice. The police never went inside the house. There were no fragments found when Canton police looked, it was only when the Mass State Police SERT team came they "found" fragments.

Boston 25 News Logo

Parents of Karen Read, woman charged in Boston officer’s death: ‘My daughter will be free’
August 8, 2023 at 9:05 p.m. UTC
By Ted Daniel
DEDHAM, Mass. — The parents of a woman charged in a Boston Police officer’s death say they’re confident in their daughter’s innocence as her legal fight continues.

Karen Read, the girlfriend of late Boston Police Officer John O’Keefe, has been accused of backing over her boyfriend in Canton, MA, and leaving him to die in a January 2022 blizzard.

She was charged with second-degree murder, motor vehicle manslaughter, and leaving the scene of a collision in connection with O’Keefe’s death. The case has drawn national attention over claims of a cover-up. A Facebook page called, Justice For John O’Keefe & Karen Read (Mass corruption) has more than 18 thousand followers.

In Massachusetts, second-degree murder includes when a person intentionally kills another without premeditation.

“We’ll resolve these issues,” William Read, father of Karen Read, told Investigative Reporter Ted Daniel. “My daughter will be free. That’s what I believe.”

William Read says his daughter told him she thought she “struck something” while she was at Good Samaritan Hospital in Brockton, where O’Keefe was pronounced dead.

The father denied that Karen Read thought she struck O’Keefe.

“No, no, no,” William Read said. “She felt she struck something. She said: ‘Dad, I think I struck something.’ I said, ‘What do you mean?’ This was in the hospital, she says, ‘I remember backing up and hitting something, but I can’t say what it was’ and at this point, she’s frantic.”

Karen Read (left), John O’Keefe (right)

VIDEO FROM THE BAR HOURS BEFORE DEATH

Karen Read’s parents say she and O’Keefe became serious in 2019 right before the Covid pandemic.

“They just seemed to be in a happy place, you know,” Karen’s mother Janet Read said.

The Reads shared multiple pictures of the smiling couple at family events and on vacation.

Daniel also reviewed surveillance video showing Read and O’Keefe laughing and embracing at C.F. McCarthy’s, a restaurant and bar in Canton.

According to police, Karen Read would back over O’Keefe and leave him for dead in a snowstorm less than 3 hours after the bar video was recorded. In court documents, police estimated that Read’s blood alcohol level would have been between .13% - .29%. at 12:45 a.m., the time they believe O’Keefe was struck.

Police determined Read backed over O’Keefe after dropping him at 34 Fairview Road where a party was taking place. At the time, the home was owned by another Boston police officer named Brian Albert.

‘SUCKER PUNCHED’ IN THE BASEMENT THEORY

William Read told Daniel he believes O’Keefe was lured to the late-night gathering and quickly ended up in the basement.

“I think John O’Keefe entered that house, was sucker punched, a fight ensued, and he was overwhelmed,” he said.

William Read suggested O’Keefe was dragged out of the house through a basement bulkhead, taken around the side of the house, and placed near the road where he was found unresponsive in a snowstorm later in the morning.

Hospital medical records detailed O’Keefe’s injuries: including his eyes swollen shut black and blue, a cut on his right eyelid, a cut to the left side of his nose, a two-inch laceration on the back of his head, multiple skull fractures, and six bloody cuts of varied length on his right forearm from his forearm to bicep.

Read’s defense team has argued that police failed to seriously consider any of the party attendees as potential suspects.

According to the Norfolk County DA’s office, eight people inside the home and three more outside testified that O’Keefe never entered, and the office states that GPS data from O’Keefe’s phone supports that.

William Read suggested that the alleged attack was kept secret from most of the people inside the Albert home, including teenagers celebrating a birthday, and only a limited number of adults were aware of it.

Ted Daniel asked Read’s parents: “if the events happen the way Karen’s attorneys say they did, how many people would have to be involved in the cover-up?”

Read’s father said: “My sense is that there are a handful of people, influential people, who know what happened.”

The Norfolk DA’s Office tells Daniel, “There was no conspiracy or cover-up,” and “such claims have been systematically refuted by evidence submitted to Norfolk Superior Court and provided to the defense.”

TAILLIGHT DAMAGE

Police found damage to the passenger side taillight of Karen’s Lexus LX-570. How the damage occurred is disputed by Read’s legal team.

A party attendee who helped Read search for O’Keefe on the morning of January 29 said Read had shown her a cracked right rear taillight on her vehicle and questioned if she could have hit O’Keefe.

The Reads believe the damage occurred when Karen Read backed out of O’Keefe’s driveway to look for him – hours after she is accused of striking him. A Ring camera at John O’Keefe’s home shows Karen Read back out of his garage and directly towards O’Keefe’s vehicle parked in the driveway.

“Look at it frame-by-frame,” William Read said. “And you tell me whether or not the O’Keefe vehicle, the left rear wheel, does not jettison forward upon impact and return to its previous position.”

According to court documents filed by the prosecution, the video only shows Read “coming close” to O’Keefe’s car.

Police say they didn’t find any damage to O’Keefe’s car or garage doors, or any fragments or pieces of broken taillight in his driveway.

According to prosecutors, a state police team discovered two red plastic pieces and one clear plastic piece of a taillight in the area they believe O’Keefe was struck outside 34 Fairview Rd.

“The SERT team discovered these items after digging through the still-falling snow,” reads a prosecution memorandum.

The Reads say that wasn’t until after Karen’s SUV was in the custody of law enforcement.

“They confiscate Karen’s car at my parents’ residence .. at 4:16 P.M. and somewhere in the neighborhood of 5:30, 5:45, Mass State Police SERT (Special Emergency Response Team) comes back to the scene,” Karen’s older brother Nathan said, “They search the scene then with two feet of snow, pieces of a taillight are found on top of the snow.”

Thats the only physical "evidence" they have.

Hospital medical records detailed O’Keefe’s injuries: including his eyes swollen shut black and blue, a cut on his right eyelid, a cut to the left side of his nose, a two-inch laceration on the back of his head, multiple skull fractures, and six bloody cuts of varied length on his right forearm from his forearm to bicep.

The Reads question the injuries seen in John’s autopsy photos. They say he appears to have dog bites on his right arm.

The defense theory is that O’Keefe was beaten inside the Albert home and attacked by Albert’s German Shephard, but the medical examiner says those markings are “scratches caused by a blunt object” – not animal bites.

And that's just half of it. This entire case is a fascinating story and it's not so cut and dry and I certainly hope those who haven't done any semblance of research can do some and then see if they think it's cut and dry. It's not and I think those who have been keeping up with this case cab at LEAST agree on that.

And no, I'm not no "conspiracy theorist" or a Aidan whatever his name is fan. This story is one to watch as the upcoming months come.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
@Mione134 I dont want to quote that whole thing to save space, but I did read it all and it just makes me more certain she hit her boyfriend (whether intentionally or in a drunken accident I cannot say), has been caught pretty dead to rights, and is (in her legal right) throwing any alternate theory she can against the wall to introduce reasonable doubt.

I mean, she admitted she thinks she hit something that night. The 'dog bite' isn't even consistent with a dog bite. And we're not even privy to all of prosecutions data. I plead with people to let these things play out in a court of law. A blogger going after real people dealing with this real tragedy is disgusting.

I'll leave it there. And I do appreciate the information you've provided here, thank you for engaging me respectfully.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
@Mione134 I dont want to quote that whole thing to save space, but I did read it all and it just makes me more certain she hit her boyfriend (whether intentionally or in a drunken accident I cannot say), has been caught pretty dead to rights, and is (in her legal right) throwing any alternate theory she can against the wall to introduce reasonable doubt.

I mean, she admitted she thinks she hit something that night. The 'dog bite' isn't even consistent with a dog bite. And we're not even privy to all of prosecutions data. I plead with people to let these things play out in a court of law. A blogger going after real people dealing with this real tragedy is disgusting.

I'll leave it there. And I do appreciate the information you've provided here, thank you for engaging me respectfully.

We are all entitled to our opinions! I'm glad you found that one article helpful. That was from Fox25 Boston.

Definitely read up more if you're interested.

Either way, thank you for engaging respectfully as well. As I'm sure others are not with my post.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Hard agree with that reasoning.

Some people have seen one too many murder mysteries and now think somehow a group of influential adults are involved in some cover up.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Hard agree with that reasoning.

Some people have seen one too many murder mysteries and now think somehow a group of influential adults are involved in some cover up.
It reminds me of when the Idaho college murders happened last November and all the amateur sleuths took to social media and started digging into innocent people's lives and accusing them of having involvement while ripping the cops in the town for not catching the person right away.

I wish more judges would issue gag orders in cases and actually hold disruptive people in contempt. People forget the real victims in these cases and it is a damn shame.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
It reminds me of when the Idaho college murders happened last November and all the amateur sleuths took to social media and started digging into innocent people's lives and accusing them of having involvement while ripping the cops in the town for not catching the person right away.

I wish more judges would issue gag orders in cases and actually hold disruptive people in contempt. People forget the real victims in these cases and it is a damn shame.

Or when people from that Reddit website thought they solved who did the marathon and they doxxed the wrong person.

Just completely irresponsible. Ruins peoples lives

Reactions: Alicat

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Local news guy posted this pic from Tater Peeler Road. Yes, that's the real road name lol.

I love Tennessee

FB_IMG_1696205226573.jpg

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Chusovitina is just incredible. I am glad she is showing the younger generation that age is just a number.

Simone has taken the sport and changed it for the better both on and off the mat.

The great news is that both the men and women qualified full teams to the Paris 2024 Olympics :)

No thanks. You can have it. I was on Facebook for about a month in 2006. Twitter/"X" is and always has been a sewer.

Other than this board, and perhaps a few other outlets, social media is garbage.

Enjoy,

🌜💤🛌🌛

Reactions: jgatie and Alicat

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
No thanks. You can have it. I was on Facebook for about a month in 2006. Twitter/"X" is and always has been a sewer.

Other than this board, and perhaps a few other outlets, social media is garbage.

Enjoy,

🌜💤🛌🌛
Can confirm. I did social media management for 12 years as a profession. It's gross.

Reactions: bb74 and GordonHowe

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Or when people from that Reddit website thought they solved who did the marathon and they doxxed the wrong person.

Just completely irresponsible. Ruins peoples lives
Or people who judge other people and make comments because they heard a rumor and think they are smarter than the rest of the world. Been on the receiving end of that.People are 🤡

Reactions: BMC and GordonHowe

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If a mistrial happens it will be to the witness tampering and intimidation.

It would be best if that case isn't discussed here because the last thing any of us need, especially the mods, are the rabid troll supporters of a guy who goes by an animal name.

Nope and you are so much better off ignoring the case unless you love conspiracy theory after conspiracy theory.
ok got it, thanks Ali

Reactions: Alicat

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Just a reminder that all devices, phones, tvs, tablets , radios willbe effected by this National Emergency TEST on Wednesday.

Folks in the trauma teaching world are advising survivors to go on airplane mode so response is not mobilized.
I'm working with a client at that time so will prob be on DND anyway.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Kinda hard to do when where I live is on the coast near the Taiwan Strait. Most here though don't pay any mind to the empty threats of our neighbors across the strait. You kind of have to just...put up with it.

You know better than me, but I'm not certain the threats are empty.

The CCP under Xi has become quite aggressive in staking its claim to regional hegemony, especially of late.

Be safe and come visit sometime,

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and EvilDead

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
You know better than me, but I'm not certain the threats are empty.

The CCP under Xie has become quite aggressive in staking its claim to regional hegemony, especially of late.

Be safe and come visit sometime,

:)

Probably another decade or so before China could do that and not submarine their economy due to foreign dependence upon silicon and associated IP. They are catching up fast but it is a long game they are playing IMO.

Geopolitically the Iron curtain is rebuilding and there will likely we a Silk curtain (TM me ;-) ) coming up in the next decade in SouthEast Asia. They have had a taste of representation and few of those countries want to go back to a full blown dictator / censorship driven rule.

China going after Taiwan with the Taiwan Straight shipping impact and more importantly 80%+ of global semis coming from Taiwan would be akin to the US cutting off oil and rubber access to the Japanese in the late 30's. It would be a "no alternative" attack decision because if you can't get semis, your economy and defence posture is untenable in short order.

This is why billions are being thrown at local silicon fabs in the US while export bans on silicon are going up all over the place. Forces China to build their own (decade +), reduces the exposure to Taiwan for the US so they can decide more neutrally on a potential WW3, and can provide some safety net if things really do go to shit in a decade with China.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Two people killed by a grizzly bear in Canada.

I have to think that would be one of the more horrifying ways to die. Hope for their sake it was quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad