GDT: WCSF | G4 | Oilers vs Knights | 5.10.23 | Rogers Place | 8:00PM | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
let me know how you feel when Skinner lets in his usual 3 goals minimum tonight

he let in less goals in the Leafs last 2 losses to TB than Skinner did in his last 2 wins to LA....
He was still the second best goalie on the ice in 5 straight elimination games for the Leafs. In case that bears repeating, he lost the games. Campbell can't handle pressure. There's a very good reason we wanted him bought out halfway through the season.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
But he didn't cost them the game. And even if he lost the game they still had game 7 to fall back on. If you're going to yank a goalie after every loss you're not going to build any confidence. Campbell went in last game and he gave the Oilers zero confidence in his playing ability. Went into a damn coma for the rest of the game.

He still lost the series for the Leafs. Campbell starts and we'll need to score at least 8 to win. He simply wilts under pressure.
With that logic, Skinner is losing us this series. Skinner starts and we need at least 9 to win. He simply wilts under pressure.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
He was still the second best goalie on the ice in 5 straight elimination games for the Leafs. In case that bears repeating, he lost the games. Campbell can't handle pressure. There's a very good reason we wanted him bought out halfway through the season.
so despite letting in less goals than Skinner, he can't handle the pressure? is he supposed to score goals too?
Skinner won those games cause the Oilers scored 6 goals and 5 goals in Game 5 and 6 :laugh:

Reactions: ujju2

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
so despite letting in less goals than Skinner, he can't handle the pressure? is he supposed to score goals too?
Skinner won those games cause the Oilers scored 6 goals and 5 goals in Game 6 and 7 :laugh:
Again, he lost the games. He was the second best goalie on the ice. Would you rather win and give up 4 goals or lose and give up 3?

I mean you talk about "what have you done for me lately", Skinner was fantastic in game 2 and suddenly that's all gone because the Oilers played their worst game of the season in game 3 where Skinner would've had to pitch a shutout and stop... what, 17 grade A chances for them to win? He's not Hasek.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Washington is about as far south where they care about hockey. That town is hockey crazy, trust me. Everywhere else, they're fair weather fans who only care if the team is doing well.
Nashville is further south, so I'd give it to them, but yeah.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Again, he lost the games. He was the second best goalie on the ice. Would you rather win and give up 4 goals or lose and give up 3?

I mean you talk about "what have you done for me lately", Skinner was fantastic in game 2 and suddenly that's all gone because the Oilers played their worst game of the season in game 3 where Skinner would've had to pitch a shutout and stop... what, 17 grade A chances for them to win? He's not Hasek.
The problem is his 1 game was an outlier. He has a .888 and a -2 GSAE over the playoffs....thats not one game skewing the stats.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
oh so now "only winning matters"?
Jack Campbell had a 21-9-4 record...better winning % then Stuart Skinner

therefore, according to you, Campbell is the better goalie if wins are the thing

he let in some bad goals IMO...defense didn't do him any favours but he got beat bad glove-side and didn't make big saves

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
IMG_2497.jpeg

Reactions: Oilhawks

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I was concerned about the last game, given how this team has been bad at home many times this season. After spending a week in Vegas and thoroughly beating them, I figured there was a good chance we’d serve up a poor effort while the GK came looking for blood and sure enough that’s exactly what happened.

Earlier in the year a big weakness we had was protecting the front of our net, we did improve as the season went on but last game it seemed like Vegas aggressively attacked the front of the net and we’re very successful at creating chaos and scoring because of it.

I’m sure they’ll try it again and the boys need to be better prepared.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
GM6 vs. MTL - 2-3 loss (OT) - .903 SVP under 3 GAA
GM7 vs. MTL - 1-3 loss - .909 SVP allowed 2 GA

GM6 vs. TBL - 3-4 loss (OT) - .886 SPV with more than 3 GAA
GM7 vs. TBL - 1-2 loss - .920 SVP with 2 GA

These were Campbell's last 4 playoff starts for the Leafs. He was outdueled by Carey Price and Andrei Vasilevskey - two Vezina Trophy winners. Let's please stop with this narrative that Campbell "can't handle pressure." Maybe you could consider the rest of the Leafs' players as well?

Facts:
1. Campbell had a terrible season.
2. Campbell is streaky, capable of high highs and low lows
3. Skinner has performed below average in these playoffs, the rest of the team has also been defensively sub-par
4. Skinner has poor career numbers against Vegas
5. Campbell has strong career numbers against Vegas

Most people advocating that Campbell start a game for a change admit that ON THE WHOLE - he's not better than Skinner. The question is whether he can be the better option for right now. For a few games. It is not Looney Tunes to think that Campbell could play better than Skinner for a few game stretch. The main reason I am even supporting Campbell is that Skinner isn't playing up to my expectations of him. I want Skinner to be our go-to guy, but that needs to be based on his recent performance.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I see u guys in Alberta are in middle of a heat wave and forest fires. How close are fires to Edmonton now? All the best to the people in these areas.
Close enough but no specific risk here outside of maybe neighborhoods next to a ravine or edge of city or something. Virtually no smoke here, and we have had some rains through province, not sure how much its helping. Heat wave went away fro a few days as well.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Bought tickets for game 3 and 4 because we didn't know what one we could make it to. Ended up going to game 3 (whoops).

Now can't even get face value for the game 4 tickets. I know money is tight for a lot of people but holy hell never imagined I could possibly take an L on playoff tickets.

Looks like I"m driving up from Calgary again tonight! For the love of god please have a better effort.

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
Giving up already? That’s pretty pathetic. The Avs were clearly the best team in the NHL last year.
Not giving up, just dont have a good feeling about it. We don't have a goalie who can post a .900 save percentage and our defense only shows up once every 3 games.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Not giving up, just dont have a good feeling about it. We don't have a goalie who can post a .900 save percentage and our defense only shows up once every 3 games.
I think you’re over thinking it. Lots of random blow outs this round.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad