WCQF/PDSF: (P1) Calgary Flames vs (WC2) Colorado Avalanche | COL Leads 3-1 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
This is why I'm hoping that Peters doesn't crack open the blender. Put Bennett out there instead of Monahan, and I can easily see that line sparking to life in game 5...which I half expect us to lose either way...
That's only because you took the Flames in 4! Haha

Reactions: cgf

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Hard to do when you dont pick #1 overall to be fair. Not easy to trade for a #1 C. We are a committee team that is losing as individuals right now.
True, that's why every team was throwing truck load of cash at Tavares when he became available. Calgary fans know that best, remember the find Iginla a Centre era?

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO
EJ, Barrie, Zadorov, Girard, Makar, Cole, Nemeth. This is not "not good," it's clearly in the top half, maybe top 10 in the league.

I was typing this out when I read it as well. That’s a top 10 defense. Just no true elite #1. But there is a good pairing out there 60 minutes a game.

This right here. I feel like the (very warranted at the time) fact we HAD shitty defense in years past is still being held in the minds of people, even Avs fans, up to today. We don't have a true #1 (yet, see: Makar ;) ), but EJ, Barrie, Z, and Girard are all at least top four guys and can all play on the top two if needed, not to mention the nice mix of shutdown guys that can move the puck if needed in EJ and Z with the offensive juggernauts in Barrie and Girard that run the PP and are pivotal to making the Avs fast paced style work. Then Cole and Nemeth are, despite their shortcomings, fine on the bottom six and you need guys like them to block shots and just not be too stupid (although Cole is pushing it on that last point).

As Girard, Z, and Makar get better, and eventually with Timmons hopefully, the D has a very very bright outlook and is likely one of the more stable parts for the team moving forward.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hard to do when you dont pick #1 overall to be fair. Not easy to trade for a #1 C. We are a committee team that is losing as individuals right now.

While true, I think you'd look very different with a Duchene, O'Reilly or playoff-RyJo next to Johnny. And those guys do move around fairly regularly.

...although this may just be my own dislike for that not-exactly-multifaceted-sniping-center archetype that I put Monahan in...

PPS - I also kinda went crazy when remodeling you guys around a different 1c than Monahan...having moved him & Hamilton for Drae & the Oilers 1st...when I ran the Flames in HFavs mock offseason last summer :laugh:

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I feel I’ve been super respectful to Calgary fans throughout this series. In saying that, I hope all of you that were calling the Avs a “joke” after game one and we’re making fun of all of us Avs fans and laughing about how Mike Smith was outscoring Nathan Mackinnon are choking on crow right now.

To the rest of you Flames fans (which is 90% of you), you’re all awesome!

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
MacKinnon went into beast mode last year against Nashville and the Predators needed everything they had to survive. This year he is going into beast mode again and the Flames have no answer. It's too bad for the Flames because they have a good team and expectations are high but it is what it is. As an outside fan I just enjoy watching MacKinnon play, he is probably the most exciting player to watch once playoffs start.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd like to see MacKinnon get traded to Calgary this summer for Monahan.
giphy.gif

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
MacKinnon went into beast mode last year against Nashville and the Predators needed everything they had to survive. This year he is going into beast mode again and the Flames have no answer. It's too bad for the Flames because they have a good team and expectations are high but it is what it is. As an outside fan I just enjoy watching MacKinnon play, he is probably the most exciting player to watch once playoffs start.

He did it against the Wild as an 18 year old as well. Kid's born to play playoff hockey...which is why we need to give him the supporting cast to go deep ASAFP :laugh:

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He did it against the Wild as an 18 year old as well. Kid's born to play playoff hockey...which is why we need to give him the supporting cast to go deep ASAFP :laugh:
I think Sakic can makar that happen...

Reactions: cgf

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Yeah, but if he doesn't fill that 2c hole it would be zbad, even with healthy internal growth. Joe hayes to do something to address that need. Hopefully, we can zucker someone in a trade to make it 2 new top 6ers for next season.
Yah I agree. 2nd line is the biggest issue we have left, by far.

Unless Grubauer turns into crap again next year

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yah I agree. 2nd line is the biggest issue we have left, by far.

Unless Grubauer turns into crap again next year

Yeah, I'm high on Francouz, but not having given him a look during that disastrous middle of the season stretch makes me a little anxious about nedding to rely on him if Gru loses form next year.

But I'm much more worried about that 2nd line. Hayes is the only satisfactory C option in FA...assuming Dutchy coming back is not a possibility...and if we grab a winger in FA & trade for a C, the market for higher end 2Cs or capable 1b Cs, isn't so rich that we can nab the guy we need without Joe getting more aggressive than has been his MO to this point.

This offseason is poised to be even more important to his GM-legacy than the Duchene trade was.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I know MacKinnon won't be traded but if I am Treliving I would be packaging Monahan and Brodie at the draft for #1 picks and top prospects. Then I would throw a huge offer at Duchene, sign him for 5 years and then trade Backlund for a top line winger with size, Wayne Simmons or JVR makes sense.

By the Flames not paying up to get Stone at the deadline is making him really regret it now. Stone would be the perfect grinding winger for Gaudreau. But Flames need a top #1 centre more than an elite RW.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I know MacKinnon won't be traded but if I am Treliving I would be packaging Monahan and Brodie at the draft for #1 picks and top prospects. Then I would throw a huge offer at Duchene, sign him for 5 years and then trade Backlund for a top line winger with size, Wayne Simmons or JVR makes sense.

By the Flames not paying up to get Stone at the deadline is making him really regret it now. Stone would be the perfect grinding winger for Gaudreau. But Flames need a top #1 centre more than an elite RW.

If you have trouble finding that top line winger with size for Backlund, we've got futures you can use to make it a three-way :naughty:

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017

JVR is technically a top line winger with size but he doesn't use his size and is better suited for further down the lineup, that idea is reasonable though.

Wayne Simmonds has been pretty bad for a while, definitely not a top line winger. Also he'll be a free agent so you could just sign him, although I would be wary of that. I love me some Wayne Simmonds but he is exactly the type of guy who will sign a bad deal on July 1st.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Our team is having our asses handed to them.

By the refs who don't let them play. Blatant non calls at one end and charmin soft game changing calls at the other. It's unplayable. The corsi is just a biproduct of the lack of consistency. One team is allowed to hook and hold all night completely taking the other team's offense and zone time away, other team can't even lift sticks without manufactured slashing calls.

Johnny Hobbit, is that you?

gaudreau-ref-angry2.gif

gaudreau-ref-angry1.gif

Bunch of cry babies.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Colorado is giving no space. Flames are giving more space. Gotta figure it out or it's curtains on Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad