Series Talk: WCQF: (P2) San Jose Sharks vs. (P3) Vegas Golden Knights - Part II

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I don't think its quite the end of the world if he is not back. Honestly, it gives us options to be aggressive in FA and try to land one of Panarin or Duchene. Assuming we re-sign our RFA's, we are ok. If we get one of Panarin/Duchene, even better.

If EK65 walks, the main problem with the team would not be that he left but still the coaching and goal-tending. If we fix those two going into next season, we are a playoff team again. In my ideal scenario Chekhovich and Ferraro both earn their roster spots.

Ferraro isn't NHL ready yet IMO. Haven't seen Chekhovich enough but he looked good last night. My main thing is that we gave up a lot for only 50 games of Karlsson. I still make that trade in Hindsight but it hurts to give up a prospect like Norris who did improve a lot this year before getting injured and a first round pick on top of that. To be honest Karlsson was really only himself for maybe 15-20 of those games too. I could live with not having a first round pick for 3 years when you have Karlsson locked up long term but losing him would make that sting a bit more. Hopefully DW would be able to sign a Duchene or Panarin but I'm not holding my breath. Top stars still seem hesitant to sign here as FA's. I think this is going to be an interesting off-season for the Sharks regardless of how the rest of this playoffs shapes up.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Ferraro isn't NHL ready yet IMO. Haven't seen Chekhovich enough but he looked good last night. My main thing is that we gave up a lot for only 50 games of Karlsson. I still make that trade in Hindsight but it hurts to give up a prospect like Norris who did improve a lot this year before getting injured and a first round pick on top of that. To be honest Karlsson was really only himself for maybe 15-20 of those games too. I could live with not having a first round pick for 3 years when you have Karlsson locked up long term but losing him would make that sting a bit more. Hopefully DW would be able to sign a Duchene or Panarin but I'm not holding my breath. Top stars still seem hesitant to sign here as FA's. I think this is going to be an interesting off-season for the Sharks regardless of how the rest of this playoffs shapes up.

I am honestly over how many games Karlsson played here. I said earlier that I felt cheated about this season but it is time to let that go and just go with what the future brings. I am hoping for positive changes like seeing new coaching, young faces, etc. next season.

Even if Chekhovich and/or Ferraro are not ready for next season, it opens up the door to try out some of the other Cuda guys. Same with UFA. You are right about a lot of high-end FA's still not wanting to come to SJ and that is alright too.

Do we re-sign Pavs? Bring back Jumbo? What is the focus of DW this off-season? Does he still truly think that we can compete with Pavs and Jumbo on the roster? Or is it time for a different direction? Like you said, its going to be an interesting off-season.

Right now, the only thing that makes me uncomfortable about next year is our coaching. If PDB is replaced, I am going to be fairly excited about next year.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
If I'm a Vegas fan I get a jersey with Jones' name on it. Just sayin.

I stumbled on a free ticket to the game tonight and 3 games ago me would never turn down a playoff game. But its a work buddy, and this COULD be JT's last game so im going in with a positive spin, to watch Joe potentially walk away into the sunset.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
upload_2019-4-18_10-44-7.png

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I am honestly over how many games Karlsson played here. I said earlier that I felt cheated about this season but it is time to let that go and just go with what the future brings. I am hoping for positive changes like seeing new coaching, young faces, etc. next season.

Even if Chekhovich and/or Ferraro are not ready for next season, it opens up the door to try out some of the other Cuda guys. Same with UFA. You are right about a lot of high-end FA's still not wanting to come to SJ and that is alright too.

Do we re-sign Pavs? Bring back Jumbo? What is the focus of DW this off-season? Does he still truly think that we can compete with Pavs and Jumbo on the roster? Or is it time for a different direction? Like you said, its going to be an interesting off-season.

Right now, the only thing that makes me uncomfortable about next year is our coaching. If PDB is replaced, I am going to be fairly excited about next year.

I think Pavs might be done here if (when) we’re knocked out. He had a great regular season but a bad playoff so far (might be more injured than we thought) and I think it’s likely time to hand the team off to the younger guys.

I think Joe stays as a third/fourth (depends how he plays next year) line wing that keeps mentoring young players. The way he played at the end of the year still makes him really valuable, not to mention what he’s done for Sorenson and Labanc.

Meier, Hertl, Labanc, Sorenson, Kane, Donskoi (?), Couture (though I can part with him) are still a good base of players. I like some of our Barracuda guys (the Ch-Twins particularly).

In short, I’m also excited about this team next year if PDB goes. I’ll be that much more excited if we can also sign Karlsson or get Panarin/Duchene.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

Yea I agree, the above questions will keep it interesting. At least until July 2nd.

Side note regarding Ferraro, as an Alum I speak to a lot of UMass people regularly and go to a bunch of games. At a recent luncheon with Coach Carvel he reportedly said something similar to "doesn't think Ferraro is NHL ready and the Sharks do not either. So unless there is a huge shake up with the Sharks D, Ferraro will be back for his Junior season". Even if Karlsson leaves or he stays forcing us to move Braun and say another D-man, I can't see the shake up being enough for Ferraro to jump over the other guys in the franchise with where he currently is game-wise. I think realistically he could be in the NHL part time in 20-21 and full time 21-22. I think he's one of those d-men that will gradually develop and then really have an impact around 23 or 24. Maybe we'll be lucky and it will be sooner but I'm fine with having patience in developing Ferraro. He has all the tools to be a really good top 4 d-man.

Reactions: hohosaregood

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I can see the Sharks outplaying Vegas for 3 straight games but there's zero chance Jones outplays Fleury for 3 straight especially with Fleury getting his mojo back with a shutout. All Fleury needs to do is steal 1 of 3 or Jones to lose it with his garbage play. We've never beaten Vegas 3 straight and it's not gonna start now. We need miracles like Jones turning his game around or Fleury and Vegas to somehow fall apart.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Deboer doesn’t want him to play his offside. He looked good doing that with Braun though. Deboer will die on his hill and hopefully that’ll be his downfall in SJ
There is absolutely no logic to pdb. I've the best players you have....it's not that difficult to figure out

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Seriously, save us, Vlasic. Never thought I'd be saying that at the end of the year...

All it takes is a win like we got in Game 1 to get some doubt in Vegas and get this team some confidence back. It's possible, it can happen, and I would've believed it in their 2016 run, but I just... have real trouble believing it now.

Sharks lose 6-3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad