Post-Game Talk: WCQF GM5 | Canucks lose to Predators | 1-2 (Zadorov) | Back to Nashville

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
If they aren't going to call the hooks, holds, interference, late hits... at least call the embellishment and flops. That was some acting performance by Forsberg. What a hoe

Also, bring up Podkolzin ffs

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Their power play, or lack thereof, was one of the real killers last night. They could even gain entrance into the attacking zone.

At least one PP goal tonight, and this series is over. They need someone like Joshua or even Zadorov clogging up the front of the crease. Too many shots without any traffic--which are a can or corn for the goalie.

Reactions: TruKnyte

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I say throw the lines into a blender.

Boeser-Miller-Lindholm
Garland-Pettersson-Joshua
Hoglander-Blueger-Suter
PDG-Lafferty-Mikheyev

You put Lindholm with two elite offensive players, just like when he played with Tkachuk and Gaudreau in Calgary.

You put Pettersson in-between Garland and Joshua, and hope it's a better version of the third line from early in the season.

DimitriL07

Jan 24, 2023
Vancouver BC
The Canuck fan ptsd in me thinks we don’t have much of a chance in game 6 over in there barn, but I hope I’m wrong. Was a golden chance tonight to end it and rest. Idk if I could handle a game 7.

Reactions: VanCanucks53

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
We lose this Friday and is over.

Move Hronek, EP and Mik this summer is a minimum. Unwilling to do what it takes to win and the first two are cap nightmares.

Heartless losers.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
As nice as it was seeing Šilovs having a solid game, holy Christ, what a waste of sleep. Not challenging that first goal after some cases of attacking player just breathing on goalie -> overturned these playoffs... well... it was certainly a choice.

People can blame the refs as much as they want, but scoring just one goal in 60mins (and it was a defenseman!) is awful.

I'll never forgive this team if two Latvians are eliminated from first round in ''one take'' in this series; Šilovs and Blueger certainly have not been the problem.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
  • The team needed to capitalize on their strong 1st period. They cannot pat themselves on the back for plenty of OZ time—they had to convert and they did not. It was predictable that Nashville would make the necessary adjustments in the intermission.

• I don't think the Canucks would've won the goaltender interference call on the 1-1 goal. There was nothing definitive that would've overturned that goal.

• I don't blame Silovs for the loss—but the 2-1 goal should've been a routine save.

• I love what we saw of Hoglander in the regular season and Garland was one of my favorite players to watch this year... but this playoff series is confirming my belief that they are too small to effectively play their game in the postseason. Neither is gifted enough with the puck-or-their skating to get away from trouble, and their tenacity gets muted when the refs put away their whistles. I would not rule out the possibility that the Canucks try and sell-high on Garland this off-season and try to re-allocate those cap-dollars to the top-six.

• Given the health of Demko, Pettersson, and Hughes—my expectations for the rest of these playoffs are fairly limited. They may get to round 2, but the current deployment of the team simply doesn't seem dynamic enough to get through Edmonton, Dallas/Vegas/Colorado, or whoever comes out of the east.

• Which is a shame because we may not get Miller and Boeser at their current peaks again.

• But... whether they go out sooner or later—I think this round has already been worth it's weight in gold in galvanizing this core for future playoff series. This time next year they will know where they individually need to be and they will make the psychological and physical adjustments that they need.

• I think this series has also been very illuminating with regard to which UFAs/RFAs we ought to re-sign, and who we ought to let walk.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Team has been shit the whole series.

If not for 12 seconds, they lose Game 1.

If not for Brock Boeser, they lose Game 4.

Nashville has been the better team which is sad since they have not been good either.

Team talks a lot but has shown zero execution.

If they lose Game 6, they are done.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Team has been shit the whole series.

If not for 12 seconds, they lose Game 1.

If not for Brock Boeser, they lose Game 4.

Nashville has been the better team which is sad since they have not been good either.

Team talks a lot but has shown zero execution.

If they lose Game 6, they are done.
I have to admit, putting up the 2nd fewest shots after 5 games in the playoffs in NHL history is a little concerning. Credit to Nashville and probably discredit to the ‘need to get the perfect shot’ system Tocchet has in place for that. Wish the team would just shoot more: Hronek especially. He’s NOT a player that should be looking for the tip pass. Shoot the puck with your ridiculous slapshot and injure guys who try to block it, like earlier in the season. Kind of frustrating.

Reactions: geebaan

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I have to admit, putting up the 2nd fewest shots after 5 games in the playoffs in NHL history is a little concerning. Credit to Nashville and probably discredit to the ‘need to get the perfect shot’ system Tocchet has in place for that. Wish the team would just shoot more: Hronek especially. He’s NOT a player that should be looking for the tip pass. Shoot the puck with your ridiculous slapshot and injure guys who try to block it, like earlier in the season. Kind of frustrating.
Nashville is playing in a similar fashion to LA which causes the Nucks problems.

Team does not have the speed to break them down effectively enough so they have to rely on high danger shots to get goals.

They can’t even do that.

And when they do get in position, they look for the pass anyway.

Tocchet hasnt adjusted all season. Can’t see it happening now.

Need a miracle to win 1 of the next 2 games based on their current play.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I think maybe Tocchet got out coached this game.

Certainly not challenging the one goal where Nyquist's leg rammed Silvos and the puck into the net could have been challenged. Especially as the Canucks have been dominating with the PK, one sure goal vs a possible extra PK. The only goal to that time that was shot in was in game one.

The ice time per player was odd, Garland got only 12 min all night, the icetimes almost look like simple rotation of lines with one exception of Lafferty and Hogland who both got less than 10 min.

Tocchet is setting up Boeser, Miller, Pettersson to be scape goat for not converting those 20+ min a game into goals, certainly can't blame Hoglander who has 8 min a game or even Garland who has barely above 10 min.

There is another old saying if ain't broke don't fix it, well there isn't a lot wrong but tweaking it a bit might be needed, maybe less icetime for some of those not making use of the icetime.

It is only one game and they still only need to play .500 hockey.

Silvos doesn't look out of position, meaning he looks like he can be there all the time, cool, confident, composed.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
I think maybe Tocchet got out coached this game.

Certainly not challenging the one goal where Nyquist's leg rammed Silvos and the puck into the net could have been challenged. Especially as the Canucks have been dominating with the PK, one sure goal vs a possible extra PK. The only goal to that time that was shot in was in game one.

The ice time per player was odd, Garland got only 12 min all night, the icetimes almost look like simple rotation of lines with one exception of Lafferty and Hogland who both got less than 10 min.

Tocchet is setting up Boeser, Miller, Pettersson to be scape goat for not converting those 20+ min a game into goals, certainly can't blame Hoglander who has 8 min a game or even Garland who has barely above 10 min.

There is another old saying if ain't broke don't fix it, well there isn't a lot wrong but tweaking it a bit might be needed, maybe less icetime for some of those not making use of the icetime.

It is only one game and they still only need to play .500 hockey.

Silvos doesn't look out of position, meaning he looks like he can be there all the time, cool, confident, composed.
*Silovs

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Nashville is playing in a similar fashion to LA which causes the Nucks problems.

Team does not have the speed to break them down effectively enough so they have to rely on high danger shots to get goals.

They can’t even do that.

And when they do get in position, they look for the pass anyway.

Tocchet hasnt adjusted all season. Can’t see it happening now.

Need a miracle to win 1 of the next 2 games based on their current play.
Every game there are hints of what breaks down the Preds 5 on 5, a rushing defenceman is able to skate end to end because of the discipline of the Preds to play zones or picking up a man and the rushing D, once past the designated checker, is getting an open entry.
The other is again the Preds discipline allows the Canucks to over load down low to the point of having more men right in front of their goalie. It is taking a chance with doing that but the Canuck defenders, most of them, are pretty good at handling 3 on 2 rushes.

The miracle might just be the coaching changing to play the players that are being effective in that game, if not scoring anyway why not rest the players under pressure to score because they are the stars.

The line of Joshua, Garland and Lindholm looked pretty dangerous, for their entire 6 1/2 minutes together.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Just woke up and I still can't get over how when we finally had pressure in the zone, Hronek decides to f***ing slapshot perpendicular to the goal and kill the possession. Some people were wondering whether his hands were still injured because he wasn't letting it rip... well, he can clearly do it, just chooses to not do.

Reactions: Petey O

afrocentric

Apr 29, 2010
Just woke up and I still can't get over how when we finally had pressure in the zone, Hronek decides to f***ing slapshot perpendicular to the goal and kill the possession. Some people were wondering whether his hands were still injured because he wasn't letting it rip... well, he can clearly do it, just chooses to not do.

He makes extremely questionable decisions, at least 3 per game it seems. Whether its an ill advised reverse pass to Hughes with the forecheck bearing down on them, a horribly timed shot that doesn't hit the net, or an awful pinch at a critical time (which he did again yesterday but did well to recover.)

I've been saying/thinking this for a bit, but this team seems to love trying to always pick the corners, it leads to a ton of missed nets that either kill the O-zone pressure, and we need to regroup or worse, leads to odd man rushes going the other way.

The low to high point shot is all well and good as a strategy, but not as your ONLY strategy and certainly not if you're going to be hulk smashing the puck every time wide. I'd rather it be accurate to cause havoc in the scoring areas then blast a hole through the net.

It's good to see they are starting to utilize a bit of below the goal line pressure for offence, but it still doesn't erase some of the boneheaded decision making that some of these players make trying to pick a corner at all times.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
This reminds me of that Dallas-Vancouver series from 2007. The complete inability to gain any offense and straight up getting outplayed. Granted, this team *on paper* has way more offense than that 2007 squad where Pyatt, a 35 year old Bryan Smolinski and a 36 year old Linden were our leading scorers. It was obviously a transitionary period though because most of us saw young talent emerging from within in Burrows, Kesler, Hansen, Grabner and Raymond along with Edler and Bieksa on the backend.

Granted, this team has young talent right now playing on their squad. The hope is Raty, Lekkerimaki and Willander will turn out sooner than later and allow us to push bloated underperforming players like Mikheyev and Hronek off this team.

Right now, I do think the lack of scoring is due to a combination of a lack of talent in the top 6 along with improper coaching decisions that are stifling offense. Not loading up your top 2 lines in this series is right up there with 1-2-3-4 in terms of stupid coaching. Nashville isn't a team like 2012-2014 LA where they had 3 shutdown centers and 4 shutdown defensemen....

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
It pretty much boils down to the Pettersson line having 0 goals in this series.

If the line centered by our 100 point $11 million C had 4 goals in 5 games (which you’d think is pretty average) we’d have 16 goals in 5 games … which is totally fine. Instead we have 12.

Mikheyev 1 goal in his last 53 games I just read. ffs

Good job, guys. Well under 19 shots per 60 mins. Tocchet has a real problem, and I think it's systems-related.

Reactions: timw33

aquaweenie

Feb 23, 2024
Hoglander needs to sit. I think I’m more likely score than Mikheyev. If we had two guys that could play up the lineup instead of those two we’d be in better shape.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,027.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $900.00