Post-Game Talk: WCQF GM5 | Canucks lose to Predators | 1-2 (Zadorov) | Back to Nashville

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Honestly thought Pettersson was good in this game. Both him and Hoglander played their best games of the series.

But yeah, gotta put the puck in the net at some point.

Win game 6.
I did too, I also think theres no way he isnt hurt. There were chances he had to break for loose pucks and his body simply couldnt get him there. He is missing at least a step right now. It was more obvious to me tonight than any of the past games, I dont know if that mean hes getting better or worse

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Tocchet needs to give his balls a tug. 50/50?! Yeah, that's why there's a challenge! If it was 80/20 the refs wouldn't have called it a good goal on the ice you moron. Put some trust in your PK and at the very least inject some life into a deflated building. Either they announce no goal and the place erupts or they allow it and the arena turns on the refs and spurs on the PK out of spite. Sitting there and shrugging your shoulders does nothing but piss off the fans watching the replay up in arms about what looked like blatant interference.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
People bash Pettersson (and rightly so) but it's not like Miller has been all-world either. Outside of Boeser, he's probably been the least of our problems, but he's not at full force.

Miller's had one semi-bad game this whole series. That being tonight. Otherwise, he's been anywhere from good to terrific. Same with Boeser, though his "bad game" was game 2 if I recall. The major difference is they're both producing whereas Pettersson isn't. Granted, that's also on Tocchet for nailing Stoney McGee to his line.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I don't even have to look at the Oilers board to know that they are going to say we should be down 3-2 not up 3-2.

We've been very fortunate and had some small bursts of play that have us up 3-2, so if someone were to argue that we could, or even should be down 3-2, I see no issue with it, I think that's fair.

Edit: Though, I would be extremely shocked to see any kind of measured commentary on the Canucks on that board, especially if this season is any indication lol

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
It pretty much boils down to the Pettersson line having 0 goals in this series.

If the line centered by our 100 point $11 million C had 4 goals in 5 games (which you’d think is pretty average) we’d have 16 goals in 5 games … which is totally fine. Instead we have 12.
Yeah but the what if scenario doesn't work for me when they're barely mustering any shots. If that wasn't the case and the Pettersson line just wasn't on the board then I'd ask what if but it's pretty clear that it's such an unlikely scenario at this point that I don't even consider it.

Reactions: mossey3535

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
I like the way Blueger is playing put him back with Joshua and Garland and move Lindholm into the top six.
This.

Petey on Lindholms wing or vice-versa with Hog. Lindholm is healthy and playing a different game compared to when he first got here.

Dak-blueger-garland

Mikheyev sent anywhere else. Preferably the moon.

Bring in Podkolzin to bang some bodies. He plays well in these rough games.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It pretty much boils down to the Pettersson line having 0 goals in this series.

If the line centered by our 100 point $11 million C had 4 goals in 5 games (which you’d think is pretty average) we’d have 16 goals in 5 games … which is totally fine. Instead we have 12.

Pettersson is clearly the guy that falls right in the crosshairs on this. Justifiably so, as our supposed "superstar difference-maker" who isn't make a positive difference at all right now. Even on the powerplay.

But there's an element of this that is deeply frustrating, in that it's clearly not working with Hoglander and Mikheyev either. You've gotta switch things up. Which Tocchet has been so hesitant to do. Outside of little bench-shortening here and there in crunch time. But it's clearly hurting those guys too.

They need to just split these guys up. Stick Suter between the wingers, get Petey back on the Lotto Line full time, and hope and pray that he perks up a bit and finds something. Because often the case is...JT Bozo is the "emotional engine" of this team. But scoring-wise...this team goes as Pettersson goes. And if he's not going...it's not good.

There's just an enormous gulf in the offensive potency of this team between when we get "100Pt Pace" Petey vs the "30Pt Pace" Petey we're getting in this series. And were getting down the stretch. That's not the sort of gap that you can expect Middle-6ers/Bottom-6ers to pick up the slack on. That's an entire "1st line caliber player" margin of difference.

nuxnux1

Oct 17, 2022
We've been very fortunate and had some small bursts of play that have us up 3-2, so if someone were to argue that we could, or even should be down 3-2, I see no issue with it, I think that's fair.
Oh totally, we are extremely fortunate to be up 3-2 this series with petey mia and our vezina calibre goalie out(the backups have been amazing no doubt)

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
All of the offensive problems this season boil down to EP. Imagine if he was going on that right side with his one timer, at least?

For a guy who was wanting to leave the city if this team wasn't a winner this season, he sure is putting up a ****ing anemic, soulless performance so far.
Yeah and he's probably keenly aware of the irony and shitting his pants because of it. He knows everyone is looking at him and he will have to answer some tough questions from the media, fans and organization after this.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Hronek has plummeted his own value over these playoffs. Like he’s completely incapable of making anything happen at all. I wouldn’t trade him per se because he still will work with Hughes over the rest of the contract, but he’s closer to like $6m than $8m based on this weak weak showing

Sign Zadorov or regret it cowards

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Oh totally, we are extremely fortunate to be up 3-2 this series with petey mia and our vezina calibre goalie out(the backups have been amazing no doubt)

Gotta give Nashville credit, they haven't been blowing the doors off the barn, but they are just hanging in there and grinding things out.

But yeah, we're getting some luck here in this series and I'm not gonna apologize for it, that's how things go.

I still hope we close this out because I f***ing love this team, and I always will.

Reactions: nuxnux1

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Hronek has plummeted his own value over these playoffs. Like he’s completely incapable of making anything happen at all. I wouldn’t trade him per se because he still will work with Hughes over the rest of the contract, but he’s closer to like $6m than $8m based on this weak weak showing

Sign Zadorov or regret it cowards

I'd take Zadorov at $5 million over Hronek at $6.5-7 million.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
The lack of scoring from our team is killing me

We are so hurt, I cant believe how beat up the team is 5 games into the playoffs. They look like we did in the finals in 2011, we need to pull something out of our ass here and hope we get a break
Meh, goes both ways, Forsberg, the 48 goal scorer is clearly banged up. Schenn was out with the flu, when Myers missed the game with the flu we saw the "are the Canucks battling the flu?" excuse, so does Nashville get that too now?

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I've been a Pettersson fan since his days in the SEL.

He is straight up costing this team the season with how he's playing.

You cannot have a top line center suddenly stop all production. The entire team dynamic is thrown off. It's way more impactful than Demko being injured IMO. And what's worse is that he's not even playing aadequately in his own end either.

There was a play towards the end of the game where Pettersson was barreling towards Lauzon (you know, the guy that threw the cheap shot) and instead of running him into the boards, Pettersson stumbled awkwardly into a weak check and got tossed to the ice like a bag of pucks. That was so f***ing pathetic.
He's not nearly strong enough. As soon as the season turned to the 2nd half, and especially once we hit the playoffs, he was neutered. His skill is irrelevant because he can't impose himself at all. He's a boy amongst men. I mean he's 6'2" and only 176lbs!

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Hronek thinks he's a 8m dollar d man

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 10.51.19 PM.png

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
I don't blame them though... Last time I checked, Nashville has been outshooting Vancouver every game.
People who look at SOG as some sort of numeric to determine who deserves to win a hockey game are brain-dead hockey fans. This is the f***ing playoffs. There are no participation trophies or pats on the back for good effort. It’s about winning 16 times.

Leif Rohlin

Jan 25, 2024
Tocchet needs to give his balls a tug. 50/50?! Yeah, that's why there's a challenge! If it was 80/20 the refs wouldn't have called it a good goal on the ice you moron. Put some trust in your PK and at the very least inject some life into a deflated building. Either they announce no goal and the place erupts or they allow it and the arena turns on the refs and spurs on the PK out of spite. Sitting there and shrugging your shoulders does nothing but piss off the fans watching the replay up in arms about what looked like blatant interference.
I think it was a mistake not to challenge it too. Definitely had a case and it was clearly a potential turning point.

I've hated the penalty rule from day 1 though. Isn't the point of challanges to try and get the call right more often? Why not just make it so if you lose the challenge, you lose your right to challenge for the rest of the game?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
He's not nearly strong enough. As soon as the season turned to the 2nd half, and especially once we hit the playoffs, he was neutered. His skill is irrelevant because he can't impose himself at all. He's a boy amongst men. I mean he's 6'2" and only 176lbs!

I'm 5'10" 175lb and I would get my head caved in on my first shift. I have no idea how he plays at that weight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad