GDT: WCQF | G2 | Oilers vs. Kings | 4.19.23 | 8:00PM-ish | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
This really isn't a must win. I think fans would be emotionally drained if they lose, but this is far from a must win. Sure, do they only win around 1 in 6 times if they go down 2-0? Yes.

But, they also have the two best players in the league. This is a must-win among fans. But I don't think the team is going to be gripping sticks here tonight.
Fair assessment and after what they did for the first 40 minutes last game, one would hope this team knows that the Kings can't hang with them at their best.

Just worry that if we give the Kings too much momentum, especially with Fiala and Vilardi coming back soon-ish, it's going to be a monumental ask to come back from an early hole. Playoff series are often decided on a razor's edge, add in LA's inherent advantage of favorable reffing and it's a scary prospect.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This really isn't a must win. I think fans would be emotionally drained if they lose, but this is far from a must win. Sure, do they only win around 1 in 6 times if they go down 2-0? Yes.

But, they also have the two best players in the league. This is a must-win among fans. But I don't think the team is going to be gripping sticks here tonight.
This franchise has lost the first 2 games 12 times and won the series once. But league wide it’s been done 15% of the time.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
It absolutely is a must win. LA might have let us off the hook last year, they're not going to make the same mistake again, especially when they can control the matchups.

If the Oilers lose tonight they're getting swept.

For overly emotional fans who tend to be excessively dramatic, yes this is a must win.

But in reality, it's not.

This franchise has lost the first 2 games 12 times and won the series once. But league wide it’s been done 15% of the time.

Relevant to the current squad how?

Reactions: RattsSSV and TB12

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Fair assessment and after what they did for the first 40 minutes last game, one would hope this team knows that the Kings can't hang with them at their best.

Just worry that if we give the Kings too much momentum, especially with Fiala and Vilardi coming back soon-ish, it's going to be a monumental ask to come back from an early hole. Playoff series are often decided on a razor's edge, add in LA's inherent advantage of favorable reffing and it's a scary prospect.

Yes. I would agree that if they were playing a team like the Bruins, the Hurricanes etc, this is a must win. I'd narrow their chances down to next to nothing in that situation.

But against the Kings? Not a must win, and although fans feel this way, I doubt there is any significant amount of "must win" pressure on the players right now.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
For overly emotional fans who tend to be excessively dramatic, yes this is a must win.

But in reality, it's not.

Relevant to the current squad how?
I honestly don't think this team is the kind that can recover from a big hole like that. You give LA even more confidence and they'll take us to the woodshed. They're not winning 4 out of 5 against that team especially when they're getting key players back. The Oilers had every chance to demoralize that team in game 1 and instead they galvanized them.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
I honestly don't think this team is the kind that can recover from a big hole like that. You give LA even more confidence and they'll take us to the woodshed. They're not winning 4 out of 5 against that team especially when they're getting key players back. The Oilers had every chance to demoralize that team in game 1 and instead they galvanized them.

You're probably the most pessimistic poster on this board. So this really does not shock me. You likely think they have little chance of winning the series being down 1-0. Even with a 100% healthy roster, the Oilers have a significant edge on the Kings in every position outside of goaltending. And I'd say they even have a very small edge there as well.

LA is not going to take this team to the woodshed. Nobody has taken the Oilers to the woodshed all year. If the Oilers lose, they lose. But it's not going to be some demoralizing ass-kicking of a series if they somehow fall short tonight. Have we been watching the same team since early January? They're not going to just roll over and die.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Time to log off and head to the mountains until the series is over.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I don't know, I just have a bad feeling about tonight.
I'm assuming that the Oilers will come out with a lot of energy and McDavid will surely be better but the Kings played as poorly as I've seen them play at even strength in a long time in Game 1 and still won, I don't think that'll happen again. They're going to get healthier too.
Are you the same poster who said around the trade deadline that you had a bad feeling the Oilers would miss the playoffs?

Serious question because I don't remember who it was.

Edit: It wasn't you.

Last edited:

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
I don't know, I just have a bad feeling about tonight.
I'm assuming that the Oilers will come out with a lot of energy and McDavid will surely be better but the Kings played as poorly as I've seen them play at even strength in a long time in Game 1 and still won, I don't think that'll happen again. They're going to get healthier too.

Why no credit given to the Oilers shutting them down? This was just as much the Oilers being heavy physically and suffocating them at even strength than it was the Kings playing poorly. In fact, I'd attribute most of the Kings poor 5v5 play as a result of outstanding play by the Oilers.

Reactions: Kepler 186f

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
This series is going to come down to how many lessons (I'm so f***ing tired of hearing this word but really it's just life) have to be learned by Oilers players.

Edmonton is the better team. They play better and execute better. I loved the first 40 minutes of last game.

Watching the Oilers my only fear is "Who needs to learn a lesson today"

Last game Evan Bouchard (who was fantastic) had to learn another f***ing lesson. Love him as a player but he seems to have to be taught every lesson the hard way.

Then Desharnais steps up and decides he needs to learn a lesson with that stupid bonehead stick swing.

Even Connor McDavid had to learn a lesson last game. That pass to Draisitl was a brutal play.. BRUTAL. It's easy to criticize defensive lapses and mistakes. But the offensive mistakes are just as important. These playoffs are too tight to shit away opportunities like that. My favorite player to watch ever but that play defined that period for me.

This team is its own worst enemy... That's how good they are. It's a compliment and a criticism.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I went to bed after the 3rd last game. Knew immediately staying up and getting less than 5 hours of sleep would be a terrible idea.

This team can't afford to beat themselves in another playoff game. Series is definitely still salvageable though.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
oilers needed a 5 on 3 pp to score one of their goals. 6 on 4 has more risk involved too. consider it an offset.
Kings had 6 straight PPs and couldn't score at 5 v 5...it's not an offset thanks for coming out

he will go nuclear and at the cost of losing the game.

Yeah if justified. Kings have class in the face off cirlce. Oilers dont.
see ya bud

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
not sure who's more negative, him or Cyclonesweep

watching the Oilers seems bad for their health
I’m as big an oil homer as they come. I just want to remind us all. This is hockey. It’s a game. I know we are passionate. But let’s keep things in perspective.

Win/lose. There is always a chance. Just enjoy this time of year. Embrace watching this team. Some teams haven't been in the playoffs in years.

Signed

Positive Vibes

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Are you the same poster who said around the trade deadline that you had a bad feeling the Oilers would miss the playoffs?

Serious question because I don't remember who it was.

Edit: It wasn't you.
No, I'm generally one of the more optimistic posters although I definitely had my "down" moments the last few years.

That Game 1 loss left a really bad taste in my mouth that I just can't shake. The Kings were completely out of it, had very little juice as if they were conceding the loss, and the Oilers completely gave it away. I don't think the Kings will play a worse game in this series and still won so that's why I'm concerned.
I'm not saying the Oilers will lose tonight but I think this will be a harder game for them.

Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad