GDT: WCF | I | "The Fault In their Stars" | Oilers @ Stars | 5.23.24 | 6:30PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
Well f***in said. I swear the “depth” narrative is just to coddle fans jealous they’ve never had a 1st overall. Which is alot of fans in this League.

And it’s just easy and lazy talking points for media. The depth and balance narrative to make analysts down south sound like they know their hockey.

Depth did f*** all for Vancouver when McDraiBouch, real superstars wanted to take over games.
Vancouver don't have depth. They barely have a first line. Maybe they have some depth on D but Nucks forward group, 70% is horrible. They have half a dozen forwards you wonder why they are even in the show. Only depth forward in Stars lineup really is Smith and Steele but they see limited minutes and just defensive forwards. Stars have 11 forwards with enough skill to play in a topnine. Half of the Nucks topnine was shit.

Agreed though that gamebreakers are important and Stars don't really have em. That said Heiskanen is one of the best D on the planet. For all he does on ice better than Hughes.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
For the Oilers other keys will be how hurt are McD, Hyman, Kane, Ekholm. We don't know extent, and our forward group particularly have had some trouble scoring of late. Defensively Dallas are tons better than the Nucks are. Leons shot is again off. Not sure whats up with that but hopefully he and our PP will get it back. We really need the continued pace of guys like Holloway in this series. As I mentioned Oilers could make the Stars transition game vulnerable in own end with a strong forecheck. Not sure what strategies the coaches will employ. Oilers would want to be aggressive in Ozone stripping pucks but then again that leaves vulnerability on back end.
In the Vancouver series, and especially in the last 3 games, he was really struggling with his shot. I know it's being a bit nit-picky considering his performance, but I didn't like seeing him miss breakaways and flub power play shots. I hope that changes this series as the margin for error against Dallas will be much slimmer than against Vancouver.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Keep in mind though the Stars played that AV's series on very limited rest. They had one day off and then start a new series. It was a joke and favored the AV's. Stars are better rested now having had their first reasonable break of playoffs. The whole AV's series the Stars were trying to find their legs.

For the Oilers other keys will be how hurt are McD, Hyman, Kane, Ekholm. We don't know extent, and our forward group particularly have had some trouble scoring of late. Defensively Dallas are tons better than the Nucks are. Leons shot is again off. Not sure whats up with that but hopefully he and our PP will get it back. We really need the continued pace of guys like Holloway in this series. As I mentioned Oilers could make the Stars transition game vulnerable in own end with a strong forecheck. Not sure what strategies the coaches will employ. Oilers would want to be aggressive in Ozone stripping pucks but then again that leaves vulnerability on back end.

Suspect both clubs play tactically based on score. Even though its been hard to keep leads in playoffs.
Two days rest for the Oilers only. But I really liked their energy in games 5/6. McD in particular was on one starting period 2 game 5, really started to carry the team. Kane was fast and hitting hard in game 7. Hyman looked like his energetic self. Ekholm, for sure slowed down last series but looks to be recovering. I’m sure they are dealing with things but I think they’ll be fine and get the job done.

Yeh Drais shot is off. Weird shots in game 7 off the side of the net and not in his money spots. Did get robbed point blank on one too though. But yeh, don’t know what up here. Maybe a bit of fatigue. But he’ll get it back.

As long as we execute and bring a high speed game I think we can tilt the ice against these Stars.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Personally I'd throw the pk stats right out the window. Oilers played two teams that didn't even have a PP. Teams that could hardly even gain zone. Stars had to pk against significantly better PP's. This stat will even out a bit in this series.

Oilers better not feel their way into this series. Imperative that they take game 1 with Hintz out and in every series Dallas get better after the first two games. Dallas have been machines on the road. Minimum that we get a split in Dallas.

Hintz out, while a blow, he's been oddly quiet in playoffs this season. Used to be Robertson that had trouble elevating in playoffs. Now Its Roope. Stars young players Johnson and Stankoven have sure crashed the party.

Heiskanen playing really well. Someone I like watching is Harley. Man this guy can skate miles.

Best playoffs in awhile for Benn and Seguin.

Things to look for from Stars is well developed transition game and everybody buying into it. When theres a mistake players really prepared to cover for it. Stars can get out fast they leave coverage behind. This results in either odd man rushes or them finding open ice to make a play. Excellent passing club on days that they are on.

The achilles Heel of Stars is their breakout and transition is not simple. Lots of passes and when off it turns to shit. Stars also pass own zone in transition more than I think is ideal and the Oilers are the best offensive zone puck stripping team on the planet. This will be where the series is contested. If Oilers get to a lot of pucks in Stars end they can take over. If Dallas get clean breakouts its trouble.
if the stars struggled with vegas and colorado PPs they are going to get cold merked by the oilers

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Vancouver don't have depth. They barely have a first line. Maybe they have some depth on D but Nucks forward group, 70% is horrible. They have half a dozen forwards you wonder why they are even in the show. Only depth forward in Stars lineup really is Smith and Steele but they see limited minutes and just defensive forwards. Stars have 11 forwards with enough skill to play in a topnine. Half of the Nucks topnine was shit.

Agreed though that gamebreakers are important and Stars don't really have em. That said Heiskanen is one of the best D on the planet. For all he does on ice better than Hughes.
Well pre-series they were talked about as having the “deep” team is all I’m saying. Yeh a lot of these guys disappeared when Tochs system just plain got overwhelm by us.

Heiskanen for sure is a factor. But i wouldn’t be surprised if the storyline is all Bouch by the end of this series.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So? That was last year
I don’t think the Stars are as good as Vegas was last year
This years Vegas team wasnt exaclty a shadow of last years team. Arguably better roster.
Dallas overcame a 0-2 series deficit against them and won the next 4 of 5 games.

Thats not insignificant and it didnt require superstars.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Well f***in said. I swear the “depth” narrative is just to coddle fans jealous they’ve never had a 1st overall. Which is alot of fans in this League.

And it’s just easy and lazy talking points for media. The depth and balance narrative to make analysts down south sound like they know their hockey.

Depth did f*** all for Vancouver when McDraiBouch, real superstars wanted to take over games.
100%, also talking all about this depth duchense, seguin, pavelski, benn, hintz like these guys havent disappeared more in playoff series than shown up lol. the oilers are going to give the stars all they can handle and if ottenger gets rattled it could be a beat down

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
This years Vegas team wasnt exaclty a shadow of last years team.
Dallas overcame a 0-2 series deficit against them and won the next 4 of 5 games.

Thats not insignificant.
And were 1 shot away from going down 0-3 to a tired and broken down Vegas team that barely made the playoffs …they weren’t the same team
Then beat an Avs team missing their best goal scorer after Game 3
They aren’t some juggernaut

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
And were 1 shot away from going down 0-3 to a tired and broken down Vegas team that barely made the playoffs …they weren’t the same team
Then beat an Avs team missing their best goal scorer after Game 3
They aren’t some juggernaut
Well...if we play that game we could change the outlook of any series we want. If the Oilers made one less defensive mistake they would have beaten Vancouver in game 1.

Its a bit perplexing to me why so many on here think that Dallas will be easier than Vancouver.

Especially when there was so much talk about Vancouver not being all that before that series and now (after the Oilers win the series) apparently they were all that and now Dallas isnt 'all that'.

Interesting dynamic.

The Oilers can absolutely win this series but it isnt going to be easy and some things need to fall into place IMO.
Depth is going to matter and so is Skinner. Special teams are going to be a difference maker for the team.
They need to play the suffocating style that helped them beat Van as well.
Lastly Knoblauch will be up against the best coach he has faced so far in the playoffs so adjustments are going to be tougher.
I see this as the toughest test for this team so far and it should be considering the next step is the Stanley Cup Final.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
So? That was last year
I don’t think the Stars are as good as Vegas was last year
The Stars beat Vegas just this playoffs. On paper that Vegas club was no worse than last years.

One aspect with the Stars is they've shown similar resiliency to the Oilers. When they went down 2-0 in that series (losing both home games) they had to dig down hard and did. They won 4/5 last games in that series and had to to advance. Very few clubs have ever lost first two at home and then won series. This looks to have galvanized the Stars. Hard out. These teams are hard to kill. Thats a good quality in playoffs.

The Oilers can feel good winning games 6, 7 to advance.

I have too much PTSD hahaha.
So long ago I've pretty much discarded it. My worse memories in our failures against Dallas was Salo. With Cujo in net we always had a chance. That said there was no way we were getting anywhere ever in the Comrie days. After Weight and others were gone I wasn't expecting much at all. So was never really gutted about it. I lost the plot for awhille after Weight was gone. What a player.

Last edited:

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
What has happened to this point makes zero difference for either team, clean slate. Even for Skinner! You drive while staring in the rear view mirror you will crash, and that goes for both teams. Drop the puck, new world.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The thing I realise more and more these days, is an absolute love-fest for depth, and an absolute disregard for elite talent. Especially in the media, and online discussions.

Then I hear absolute horseshit takes like "Depth wins Championships".
Like.. no it does NOT.

Cup winners usually have several players that can win hardware. Selkes, Art Ross, Rockets, Vezinas etc. They tend to have MacKinnons, Makars, Kucherovs, and Crosby.

Teams like the Stars are similar to the Trotz era Islanders.
Sure they can get far, but they don't have gamebreakers.
Depth absolutely wins championships. The teams that mostly win with top stars have the depth to finally get over the hump. No better example than the avs 2 years ago. They had insane depth which got them over finally but lost it all when they won the cup and haven’t been the same since then. Vegas last year, Tampa, blues in 2019 etc. depth, depth, depth, man.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I’m still in the Edmonton area. Walking my dog today I came across this house near my daughter’s place. If the owner of that place is on this site, well done. Impressive look.

I loved the Kings Crown and sword and the orca swinging from the end of ropes. I hope when I come back next month I see a Star and a Panther or Ranger up there as well.

IMG_7444.jpeg

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Well...if we play that game we could change the outlook of any series we want. If the Oilers made one less defensive mistake they would have beaten Vancouver in game 1.

Its a bit perplexing to me why so many on here think that Dallas will be easier than Vancouver.

Especially when there was so much talk about Vancouver not being all that before that series and now (after the Oilers win the series) apparently they were all that and now Dallas isnt 'all that'.

Interesting dynamic.

The Oilers can absolutely win this series but it isnt going to be easy and some things need to fall into place IMO.
Depth is going to matter and so is Skinner. Special teams are going to be a difference maker for the team.
They need to play the suffocating style that helped them beat Van as well.
Lastly Knoblauch will be up against the best coach he has faced so far in the playoffs so adjustments are going to be tougher.
I don’t think too many people think this will easier than Van lol
There’s a reason every betting site has the Stars as the favorite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad