GDT: WCF | I | "The Fault In their Stars" | Oilers @ Stars | 5.23.24 | 6:30PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Believe it or not? The LA Kings were better at clogging the neutral zone.

The Kings use a 1-3-1

The Stars use a 1-2-2 but play an aggressive man-on-man defense on zone entries, but collapse to a zone defense when the puck goes below the circle.

It almost looks like a Swarm, but more effectively deployed.

So basically the Stars will give us the zone whenever we want it, but pressure REALLY high in their end to force offsides and turnovers, or dump-ins.
the stars d plan worked well on the avs because the avs are primarily a speed and attack off the rush team. the oilers top 2 lines can attack the rush or quick tight turn and set up an attack offence. our 3 & 4 lines get pucks deep and grind through cycles. the unpredictability of the oilers attack causes issues on D.

Van and LAK focused on how to stop the oilers defensively. Deboer is an aggresive coach i wouldnt be surprised if he he is telling his team to play their game and beat teh oilers that way.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
the stars d plan worked well on the avs because the avs are primarily a speed and attack off the rush team. the oilers top 2 lines can attack the rush or quick tight turn and set up an attack offence. our 3 & 4 lines get pucks deep and grind through cycles. the unpredictability of the oilers attack causes issues on D.

Van and LAK focused on how to stop the oilers defensively. Deboer is an aggresive coach i wouldnt be surprised if he he is telling his team to play their game and beat teh oilers that way.
I think that's precisely what will happen, and then they'll adjust. Deboer has said more or less they wilI defend us like the Avalanche, and I don't think that will work.

Our top-6 will outscore what our bottom-6 gives up Because our bottom-6 is a lot better defensively than years past. I honestly think scoring on them will be a LOT easier than scoring on Vancouver.

Canucks are being greatly disrespected despite being a matchup nightmare for us.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Believe it or not? The LA Kings were better at clogging the neutral zone.

The Kings use a 1-3-1

The Stars use a 1-2-2 but play an aggressive man-on-man defense on zone entries, but collapse to a zone defense when the puck goes below the circle.

It almost looks like a Swarm, but more effectively deployed.

So basically the Stars will give us the zone whenever we want it, but pressure REALLY high in their end to force offsides and turnovers, or dump-ins.
Fair point but the times I watched them against the Avalanche the 1-2 part of the 1-2-2 was up pretty high. So the turnovers happened betwen the Stars blue line and centre ice.
McKinnon just couldnt generate any speed through the neutral zone.
It was very effective.
The Avs got virtually nothing off the rush.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think that's precisely what will happen, and then they'll adjust. Deboer has said more or less they wilI defend us like the Avalanche, and I don't think that will work.

Our top-6 will outscore what our bottom-6 gives up Because our bottom-6 is a lot better defensively than years past. I honestly think scoring on them will be a LOT easier than scoring on Vancouver.

Canucks are being greatly disrespected despite being a matchup nightmare for us.

I'm with you here.

The Nucks do a very good job of boxing out in their D zone, defending the slot and also pushing attackers to the outside off the rush and they did all season. Thankfully Silovs weakness in the end was point shots, because not a lot else was getting to him that he couldn't easily stop.

I feel better about being able to get to scoring areas on the Stars off the cycle and make them work a little harder down low.

OILFAN FOREVER

Feb 26, 2021
Adam Henrique hopefully will suit up by game 2. We need the depth in this series.

Have to stay out of the penalty box. We have the top end talent. Lines 3 and 4 have to keep it even with their lines 3 and 4.

Skinner is the key though. Has to have at least a 0.900 save percentage.

Go OILERS!

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

The thing I worry about is the Stars are super aggressive in the D zone. They send two guys swarming after the puck constantly.

The 3rd/4th line can get pucks deep, but I don't think they'll have the hands or brains(or testicular fortitude when it comes to guys like McLeod or Foegele) to fight through that pressure to make plays.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Well I guess we get final four 2 of the last 3 years so that's at least something! Please no sweep like 2 years ago and be a competitive series.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The thing I worry about is the Stars are super aggressive in the D zone. They send two guys swarming after the puck constantly.

The 3rd/4th line can get pucks deep, but I don't think they'll have the hands or brains(or testicular fortitude when it comes to guys like McLeod or Foegele) to fight through that pressure to make plays.
This is one of the analysis videos I watched

I think Knob is just a better coach that would adjust, and McDavid is way better on the perimeter finding openings to strike. This is what makes McDavid way more dangerous than MacK.

McDavid wouldn't dump the puck in the corner like MacKinnon did.

I'll be honest, I don't think this kind of gap control works on McDavid. He has better puck control, and would constantly skate into the open ice, and find new lanes and new angles to attack from. McDavid is twice the playmaker MacKinnon is. Although I do think this sort of gap management will work better on Draisaitl when he centers his own line.

MacKinnon is Speed+power. Power can be stopped with power which is why Tanev was so effective.
McDavid is speed+IQ. I don't think they realise McDavid will be dissecting them strategically all series long.

I think McDavid will have an absolute MONSTER of a Game 1.

Last edited:

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
After a few playoff series against the hated Vegas Knights, LA Kings, Flames and Canucks... it feels a bit weird going into a series where you don't have a big rivalry or hate for the other fanbase or team (nothing against Dallas since the 90's). A little less stressful but I'm sure that might get going after a couple of games.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
After a few playoff series against the hated Vegas Knights, LA Kings, Flames and Canucks... it feels a bit weird going into a series where you don't have a big rivalry or hate for the other fanbase or team (nothing against Dallas since the 90's). A little less stressful but I'm sure that might get going after a couple of games.
A few dirty Jamie Benn crosschecks and the hate will be fully restored!

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This is one of the analysis videos I watched

I think Knob is just a better coach that would adjust, and McDavid is way better on the perimeter finding openings to strike. This is what makes McDavid way more dangerous than MacK.

McDavid wouldn't dump the puck in the corner like MacKinnon did.

I'll be honest, I don't think this kind of gap control works on McDavid. He would constantly skate into the open ice, and find new lanes and new angles to attack from. McDavid is twice the playmaker MacKinnon is. Although I do think this sort of gap management will work better on Draisaitl when he centers his own line.

I think that's video is missing how well Dallas stops players dead when they try to skate the puck into the neutral zone. The Avs are a bit different in that they usually set up those Mac rushes with a pass into the neutral zone. The Oilers(and mainly McDavid) rely more on winding it up in their zone and skating it through. That's going to be the big test for Knob. The Stars' bread and butter is throwing layers at skaters through the neutral zone and disrupting straight lines.

How well Knob and McDavid adjust will probably decide the series, IMO.

I don't have much faith in the Oilers depth in this one. Guys like McLeod and Foegele are basically rush only players that discombobulate the second they're forced east-west. The Stars are going to feast on that.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Fair point but the times I watched them against the Avalanche the 1-2 part of the 1-2-2 was up pretty high. So the turnovers happened betwen the Stars blue line and centre ice.
McKinnon just couldnt generate any speed through the neutral zone.
It was very effective.
The Avs got virtually nothing off the rush.
MacKinnon got plenty of speed through the neutral zone, he just didn't have the hands or vision to do anything with the puck once he got the zone.

McDavid is a much different kind of beast.

This is McDavid vs a 1-3-1. He simply doesn't need the space that MacKinnon seems to need.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Yeah...I dont agree with this take.
McKinnon's weakness is not his hands and vision.

I'm simply saying McDavid's hands and vision is WAY better than MacKinnon's, it's by far the best in the NHL right now by a landslide and there's a solid debate that it's up there with Mario.

The Stars can neutralize the speed, but I don't think they'll be able to neutralize the IQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad