GDT: WCF | I | "The Fault In their Stars" | Oilers @ Stars | 5.23.24 | 6:30PM | SN/CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Not affiliated with the Stars but I think I can speak for the entire state of TX.
Hell no! We do not want to poke the bear and put the Oilers world beater PP on the ice at all! The way that the Oilers 5man unit moves the puck is a thing of beauty!
Zubov, I feel like you're that one guy at a party that shouldn't be hanging around just smiling and politely talking smack. Is there not enough going on over on the Stars board, what's your play here?
Also, Zubov still shows up in my nightmares so the less I see this name the better.

Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton
IMG-6147.gif

Reactions: Porkleaker

Zubov2156

May 22, 2024
Zubov, I feel like you're that one guy at a party that shouldn't be hanging around just smiling and politely talking smack. Is there not enough going on over on the Stars board, what's your play here?
Also, Zubov still shows up in my nightmares so the less I see this name the better.
Hi, Thank you for asking...I'm too mature and opinionated to talk smack just for shock value or disruption.
Just wanted to talk with educated passionate fans. What makes us all unique is the difference of opinion. On our boards its all homers and no objectivity...kinda boring.
So I don't have a play here! As I said I come in peace.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Hi, Thank you for asking...I'm too mature and opinionated to talk smack just for shock value or disruption.
Just wanted to talk with educated passionate fans. What makes us all unique is the difference of opinion. On our boards its all homers and no objectivity...kinda boring.

Last edited:

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
For sure. I feel like those both played a fairly passive system though. Vancouver seemed happy to slow guys down in the neutral zone and then keep them to the outside with a really passive in-zone D.

Dallas likes to play aggressive and, IMO, they have the best transition defender in the league in Heiskanen. Should be fun to watch.
They are an excellent rush team. Ceci is at the bottom of the league in rush defense…

Reactions: elmeroil

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Everything about the Stars are so vastly overblown.

They're not some defensive juggernaut. They're "pretty good". But they'll likely be easier to score against than Vancouver.

They aren't putting on a series of defensive clinics these playoffs, winning several 1-0 games.
No, they've blown MANY leads many times these playoffs.

Where the f*** is this narrative coming from that they're a vastly superior defensive team that put up a wall that the best 2 players in the NHL won't be able to solve?

And they don't have anyone remotely close to a JT Miller or Brock Boeser. There's absolutely no gamebreakers on that team. They score by Committee, which I think bodes well for us. Their offensive peak is like Kopitar-Byfield-Kempe.

Yeah they're pretty good, but Miller and Boeser were absolutely shredding us.
Hintz, Robertson, and Johnston?

Reactions: guymez

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
On our boards its all homers and no objectivity...kinda boring.
Yet your first post in here is Dallas in six because they are better and how it's the Stars year. Sounds homerish.

Yet the bolded implies how you are at the same time putting down your fellow Dallas posters for being boring, uneducated homers.

Your logic is starting to lose a bit of its logic.

Can believe the bored part.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Personally I'd throw the pk stats right out the window. Oilers played two teams that didn't even have a PP. Teams that could hardly even gain zone. Stars had to pk against significantly better PP's. This stat will even out a bit in this series.

Oilers better not feel their way into this series. Imperative that they take game 1 with Hintz out and in every series Dallas get better after the first two games. Dallas have been machines on the road. Minimum that we get a split in Dallas.

Hintz out, while a blow, he's been oddly quiet in playoffs this season. Used to be Robertson that had trouble elevating in playoffs. Now Its Roope. Stars young players Johnson and Stankoven have sure crashed the party.

Heiskanen playing really well. Someone I like watching is Harley. Man this guy can skate miles.

Best playoffs in awhile for Benn and Seguin.

Things to look for from Stars is well developed transition game and everybody buying into it. When theres a mistake players really prepared to cover for it. Stars can get out fast they leave coverage behind. This results in either odd man rushes or them finding open ice to make a play. Excellent passing club on days that they are on.

The achilles Heel of Stars is their breakout and transition is not simple. Lots of passes and when off it turns to shit. Stars also pass own zone in transition more than I think is ideal and the Oilers are the best offensive zone puck stripping team on the planet. This will be where the series is contested. If Oilers get to a lot of pucks in Stars end they can take over. If Dallas get clean breakouts its trouble.
Good Summary.

I made a mention in a previous post about their transition game and the ability to counter-attack better than just about everybody. The Oilers defense had a relative cakewalk in the previous two series compared to the waves of skill that will come at them this series which is why it's imperative for the Oilers to be aggressive and hem Dallas in as much as possible because Dallas is vulnerable defending in zone. If the Stars are with the puck a lot, the Oilers are going to be in trouble because they strike quick and with precision.

The cycle game will be key and it's something that especially the 3rd line needs to do better than the previous 2 series. In other words, McLeod and Foegele need to nut up and swarm in the offensive zone like they're capable of doing. We saw some of that in Game 7 with them being more aggressive on the forecheck, more of that needed.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Thanks for the classy reply! Glad to know that I am welcome here. Go Stars!
We have an interesting bunch here. When we are winning it's plan the parade, but if we start losing it is fire sale the team. Don't take it personally - we are a passionate bunch.

That being said most posters here are pretty reasonable and friendly. We know the Stars are a juggernaut, but we also know our team gets dumpstered on a lot too at any chance.

Here's hoping for an entertaining series - and an Oilers win. :)

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Feels like the team really came together and realized what it takes to win in games 6 and 7. I think that carries forward and they continue to play really well at both ends of the ice.

Feeling a win tonight.

Reactions: PuckG

Zubov2156

May 22, 2024
Yet your first post in here is Dallas in six because they are better and how it's the Stars year. Sounds homerish.

Yet the bolded implies how you are at the same time putting down your fellow Dallas posters for being boring, uneducated homers.

Your logic is starting to lose a bit of its logic.

Can believe the bored part.
Hey there! Its just me supporting my team. Like everyone else on this forum... I don't think anybody that has an objective, rational, and positive mindset is going to say I hate this team and I hope they suck and loose...Right! Well a negative sour person might say that. As far as other Dallas posters on the boards.. I honestly don't know if other posters are uneducated on hockey but I can surmise that the post is either meant to disrupt/anger or just blind homer-ism without any intelligent thoughts. Its a free country in the states...As the saying goes opinions are like A-holes and everybody's got one. Go Stars!

Last edited:
Reactions: CROTT

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Lol

Is Benn the only “tough” guy on the Stars?
Depends what one means by tough. I would take a forward like Mason Marchment anytime. Plays game right way, strong on pucks and functional toughness. Stars throw enough hits to be effective and as a means of turning pucks over but its not a big part of their game. Moving pucks quickly in all areas, thats their game.

Also any game they'll dress around 13 players over 200lbs with decent size and strength so not easy to push over either.

I love the matchup between these two clubs. Should be good. I think we'll be seeing better hockey in this series than we have. Kings and Van played really cynical games. Its a shame because those clubs weren't even trying to play with us and open it up a bit. Both these teams are very well coached and not the Tocchet "Jack Adams" just work harder, take more pain bs.

Petey: "I'm not playing, I'm not doing that" lol Its the trouble with such coaching approaches that some players won't be rowing for you. Calgary had same problem with Gaudreau in the lets be tough version of the Flames. Dancers won't show up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
After a series with the (absolutely insane) Vancouver fans, you can't blame us for having our guard up!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
We just finished a series against the Canucks. We're not used to any fan that can just be straight up and fair. Its been awhile. lol We're the team with the garbage D, garbage goalie, most unlikable team on Earth, buncha nobodies, PP merchants, Cyrsaitl, McCrybaby, one man team all that... guess who said that? lol

• Haha
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
We just finished a series against the Canucks. We're not used to any fan that can just be straight up and fair. Its been awhile. lol We're the team with the garbage D, garbage goalie, most unlikable team on Earth, buncha nobodies, PP merchants, Cyrsaitl, McCrybaby, one man team all that... guess who said that? lol
you forgot "favortism from the refs"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad