Series Talk: WCF: Dallas Stars vs Edmonton Oilers (EDM Leads 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Dallas Stars in 4

Votes: 59 6.7%
  • Dallas Stars in 5

Votes: 211 23.8%
  • Dallas Stars in 6

Votes: 259 29.3%
  • Dallas Stars in 7

Votes: 45 5.1%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 4

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 5

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 6

Votes: 160 18.1%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 7

Votes: 128 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
images.png

Who y'all got?!

Dallas Stars (1C) vs. Edmonton Oilers (2P)

Western Conference Final

Game 1: Oilers at Stars -- May 23, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 2: Oilers at Stars -- May 25, 8 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 3: Stars at Oilers -- May 27, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 4: Stars at Oilers -- May 29, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ Game 5: Oilers at Stars -- May 31, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 6: Stars at Oilers -- June 2, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 7: Oilers at Stars -- June 4, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ if necessary

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sports2 and Tofveve

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Dallas and Edmonton had the same offensive output across the roster in the regular season.

We could argue that Miro (who had some injuries this year and otherwise has to actually play defense) and Jason Robertson are in conversations for 'star power'.

The teams that won lots of cups in the last 15 years are Chicago, who had wildly deep teams, Pittsburgh, carried by literally having 5 top 5 picks including 3 centers, 1 D and a HHOF goalie, and Tampa, who kinda cheesed through a bit, but had a wildly complete roster... Dallas is closer to 2021 Tampa than Edmonton is.

I don't see it with Edmonton, because Bouchard ain't Hedman and Skinner ain't MAF. And this isn't a knock on Bouchard, who meshes very well with the crazy point generation of McDraiMan.

Robertson is the 29th leading scorer in the league. That's not close to a star.

And then you literally listed 3 teams that have Art Ross / Hart Trophy winners.
Kucherov, Crosby/Malkin, Kane

Dallas has absolutely nobody resembling that level of talent.

• Haha
Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Robertson is the 29th leading scorer in the league. That's not close to a star.

And then you literally listed 3 teams that have Art Ross / Hart Trophy winners. Dallas has absolutely nobody resembling that level of talent.

Where'd Robertson finish in scoring last year?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Yet he is still not in the Crosby Malkin, Kucherov, Kane tier. You know... the star players from the teams YOU mentioned.

He is clearly several notches beneath them all, and will likely never sniff an Art Ross in his career.

Also check where Ryan Nugent Hopkins was last year, if you think last year means anything.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Dallas and Edmonton had the same offensive output across the roster in the regular season.

We could argue that Miro (who had some injuries this year and otherwise has to actually play defense) and Jason Robertson are in conversations for 'star power'.

The teams that won lots of cups in the last 15 years are Chicago, who had wildly deep teams, Pittsburgh, carried by literally having 5 top 5 picks including 3 centers, 1 D and a HHOF goalie, and Tampa, who kinda cheesed through a bit, but had a wildly complete roster... Dallas is closer to 2021 Tampa than Edmonton is.

I don't see it with Edmonton, because Bouchard ain't Hedman and Skinner ain't MAF. And this isn't a knock on Bouchard, who meshes very well with the crazy point generation of McDraiMan.
One elite season doesn't make you a "star".

Heiskanen is a stud tho, top 3-5 defenseman in the league.

Weak argument

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Edmonton is going to need to be significantly more consistent if they want to keep this one tight.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
Classic case of stat watching.

Keep telling yourself the Kings and Canucks (lmao) were tougher opponents in a 7 game playoff series than Vegas and Colorado.

The fact it’s even discussed is hilarious.
I think it just comes down ro whether you value stats or narratives more

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019

Dallas has great depth but they do not have a player that can take over a game. Jake may be the exception but we haven't seen him do that in over 2 years.

It's an insult to those dynasties in comparing them to the stars. They don't even slightly resemble the teams you mentioned:

-Tampa at the time had top 3 players at all major positions and arguably the best D and goalie in the league.
-Pittsburgh had 2 of the best 3 players in the league for that entire decade along with Letang. MAF had very average stats in the years they played the flyers but was nonetheless solid
-Chicago had a mix of players who won the selke, art and Norris all recently when they were winning cups

Dallas doesn't have a single player who finished in the top 25 in points this year and Bouchard outscored every single player on their roster this year. Dallas is favorite and deservedly so, but they do not resemble any of those dynasties. The golden knights of last year are the best comparable because both teams roll 4 solid lines and have very few holes on their team.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
I think it just comes down ro whether you value stats or narratives more
The stats pretty much back up that LA and Wash were the weakest two teams in the playoffs

Dallas has great depth but they do not have a player that can take over a game. Jake may be the exception but we haven't seen him do that in over 2 years.

It's an insult to those dynasties in comparing them to the stars. They don't even slightly resemble the teams you mentioned:

-Tampa at the time had top 3 players at all major positions and arguably the best D and goalie in the league.
-Pittsburgh had 2 of the best 3 players in the league for that entire decade along with Letang. MAF had very average stats in the years they played the flyers but was nonetheless solid
-Chicago had a mix of players who won the selke, art and Norris all recently when they were winning cups

Dallas doesn't have a single player who finished in the top 25 in points this year and Bouchard outscored every single player on their roster this year. Dallas is favorite and deservedly so, but they do not resemble any of those dynasties. The golden knights of last year are the best comparable because both teams roll 4 solid lines and have very few holes on their team.
Good points. Dallas is a paper tiger.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

I think the Vegas Team last season was a LOT stronger than this year.
Edmonton lost to them in 6, and Dallas lost to them in 5.

I personally think Edmonton would have also beaten Vegas this year if they met in the 1st round.

Last edited:

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
95% of the extreme overconfidence in Dallas in this thread towards the Oilers is from Vancouver and Toronto fans, FWIW.
Dude, this is crazy. Is it the biggest case of rent free in hfboards history? Impossible for stars and oilers fans to actually have a conversation among all the salt

The stats pretty much back up that LA and Wash were the weakest two teams in the playoffs

Every stat from this season shows kings and Canucks were better than avs and vegas. Whether that be standings, goal differential or underlying metrics

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019

Didn't say that. Just made a point that the comparison to teams like Tampa and Pittsburgh is silly. I still take the stars in this series over my oilers but I think they'll put up a good fight and surprise people on here.
I think the Vegas Team last season was a LOT stronger than this year.
Edmonton lost to them in 6, and Dallas lost to them in 5.

I personally think Edmonton would have also beaten Vegas if they met in the 1st round.
Yeah honestly I think that series was a coin flip at game 5 and if the oilers had a few bounces go their way it could have been a different outcome. That's hockey and props to the knights that series for closing it out. The Eichel line really dominated and was the difference imo.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Edmonton fared better against the Cup champion Vegas last year and actually had a chance to win that series last year, 2-2 series, had the lead in both game 5 and 6 in the 2nd period. Whereas Dallas got thumped 3-0 to start the series, won a couple of games when Vegas let off the gas and then got destroyed 6-0 in game 6. Marchessault said it himself, the Oilers were the hardest comp they had in the SC playoffs last year.

The year prior to that, Edmonton beat the team that eliminated Dallas (Calgary).

So I don't think this is as cut and dry as some want to make it.

Those Dallas teams were sooo much worse than this one.

It won't be an "easy" series by any means but there's no point in looking at past Dallas teams. Stars this year are better in every way

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I don't think it will be a shock.

I think there's going ot be a lot of revisionist history of people claiming it was obvious to everyone before the opening puck dropped.
Yeh. I mean the sutter flames went from perfect built playoff team and defensive powerhouse to trash to the moment we beat them.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Yet he is still not in the Crosby Malkin, Kucherov, Kane tier. You know... the star players from the teams YOU mentioned.

He is clearly several notches beneath them all, and will likely never sniff an Art Ross in his career.

Also check where Ryan Nugent Hopkins was last year, if you think last year means anything.
Took nuge 12 Seasons to do what Robertson did in 3. And he is 12 p in 13g this playoffs.

Robertson may never win a Art Ross but he is a hell of a player .

Reactions: rams and LT

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I'm glad Oilers fans think they will win

Let's see y'alls opinion after game 2
Likewise.

Oilers have been the best team in the league since the coaching change in November. We are a better team than both the gutted Avalanche team, or the Vegas LTIR's.

Vancouver was better than both of them as well.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
What’s with these rave bracelets in Dallas? Is that so the players know the fans are there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad