Series Talk: WCF: Dallas Stars vs Edmonton Oilers (EDM Leads 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Dallas Stars in 4

Votes: 59 6.7%
  • Dallas Stars in 5

Votes: 211 23.8%
  • Dallas Stars in 6

Votes: 259 29.3%
  • Dallas Stars in 7

Votes: 45 5.1%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 4

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 5

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 6

Votes: 160 18.1%
  • Edmonton Oilers in 7

Votes: 128 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
images.png

Who y'all got?!

Dallas Stars (1C) vs. Edmonton Oilers (2P)

Western Conference Final

Game 1: Oilers at Stars -- May 23, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 2: Oilers at Stars -- May 25, 8 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 3: Stars at Oilers -- May 27, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
Game 4: Stars at Oilers -- May 29, 8:30 p.m. ET (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ Game 5: Oilers at Stars -- May 31, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 6: Stars at Oilers -- June 2, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, TVAS)
+ Game 7: Oilers at Stars -- June 4, TBD (TNT, truTV, MAX, SN, CBC, TVAS)
+ if necessary

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sports2 and Tofveve

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Still standing by it, Stars in 5 or possibly 6.

Every Stars' fan already called a game 1 loss, this team starts series slow. It is what it is. And to top it off they suck at home too, I believe they're 2-5 this playoffs. Oilers did exactly what they need to, to win. The big players showed up and Skinner had a solid game. I don't expect both those things to keep happening for 3 more games for them to win the series.

And I knew there'd be crying about the refs, but what game were some of you watching. I believe, Dallas is one of if not the least penalized teams in the league. You aren't going to be getting more PPs than them. I hate when people think PPs should be even. No, that's not how it works. Every penalty against Edmonton was warranted, hands to the head against Kane, slash on the gloves in the slot, and a non-arguable McDavid high stick (he got away with it last series, so don't go crying about it when he gets caught this time). I didn't see Dallas commit any infractions that Edmonton also wasn't called for.

Overall, Edmonton was the better team this game. I was mostly impressed by their penalty kill, though 75% of it was just winning the face off and not allowing the Stars to get set up. But those are two huge aspects of a PP/PK, so all the credit to them.

One thing this game reminded me of the Colorado series, not much animosity between the teams. They're just going out there and playing hockey. None of this constant after the whistle bs.

No surprises from either fanbase with overreacting after a game 1. It's the end of the world for Dallas, and Edmonton's winning the cup. Every series, every fan base. Like clockwork.
So you believe that the Stars are gonna win simply because the Oilers are gonna lose 4 games.... Way to show confidence in your team ;)

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
A McDavid winner in overtime during a game where the Oilers more than handled the so-called “invincible and going to drop the Oilers in 4” Stars is what one expects when picking the Oilers to win the series in 6.

It would be something else if they are up 2-0 leaving the weekend heading to home ice. This board would be in flames.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
I don’t recall Dallas forwards blowing the zone the same way when the Oilers played them in the regular season. I watched some of the Avs and Vegas series as well. I don’t think that is a winning formula against the oilers. The stars did generate good chances off those plays, but they gave up too much when it didn’t work. I’m expecting a change next game. Oilers big guys come to play in the playoffs. Don’t expect a big drop off from them.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
A McDavid winner in overtime during a game where the Oilers more than handled the so-called “invincible and going to drop the Oilers in 4” Stars is what one expects when picking the Oilers to win the series in 6.

It would be something else if they are up 2-0 leaving the weekend heading to home ice. This board would be in flames.

The Stars do tend to get better as the series goes on, which has me believing DeBoer will make a few key tactical adjustments after a game or 2.

It was really important to get at least a split in Dallas.

I also think the Stars play better in other arenas, because in other arenas they get to play on actual ICE, and not whatever sandpaper slush crap they try to pass off as ice in Dallas.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I don’t recall Dallas forwards blowing the zone the same way when the Oilers played them in the regular season. I watched some of the Avs and Vegas series as well. I don’t think that is a winning formula against the oilers. The stars did generate good chances off those plays, but they gave up too much when it didn’t work. I’m expecting a change next game. Oilers big guys come to play in the playoffs. Don’t expect a big drop off from them.

I noticed that too... on one play (third? 1st OT?) a strong-side Dallas winger (don't remember who) completely blew the zone, Nurse followed him out and the puck went harmlessly rimmed around the boards. If Nurse wasn't playing that overly cautiously (we'd been burned a few shifts ago) it would have been an easy keep in and the chances that come with it...

... not the type of discipline I was expecting. And I agree, maybe Dallas felt it necessary to stretch the plays for offense a bit, but it doesn't seem like a good strategy to continue vs EDM (though I suppose it matters who is on ice). We'll see I suppose.

I thought our 3rd and 4th lines played pretty well late in the game. Unlikely they factor in on too many goals (in either direction) but that's a good thing if they can be counted on to eat the clock and give up very little.

It would have been a perfect road game if we'd closed it out - nice touch pass in front to Sequin. Up to the end of regulation, we'd managed McDrai's ice time really well, had a confidence boosting game from Skinner and won without the need of our power play. All the things the experts here said were impossible.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Incredible how clean Dallas was all game, not a single infraction aside from too many men.

Uh huh.

After your eyes stop rolling, use them to find examples of all the calls the refs might have missed.

High sticks drawing blood, maybe? Egregious trips?

Surely there were dozens, it's just that those dastardly refs drew a blind eye to every single one, right? :laugh:

(For the record I'm sure there were a handful of cases - going both ways - where the refs chose to let it go. But I'm glad we didn't see any "make-up calls" or phantom calls against Dallas just to even up the PP chances).

Reactions: JKG33

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Every Stars' fan already called a game 1 loss, this team starts series slow. It is what it is. And to top it off they suck at home too, I believe they're 2-5 this playoffs. Oilers did exactly what they need to, to win. The big players showed up and Skinner had a solid game. I don't expect both those things to keep happening for 3 more games for them to win the series.

And I knew there'd be crying about the refs, but what game were some of you watching. I believe, Dallas is one of if not the least penalized teams in the league. You aren't going to be getting more PPs than them. I hate when people think PPs should be even. No, that's not how it works. Every penalty against Edmonton was warranted, hands to the head against Kane, slash on the gloves in the slot, and a non-arguable McDavid high stick (he got away with it last series, so don't go crying about it when he gets caught this time). I didn't see Dallas commit any infractions that Edmonton also wasn't called for.

Overall, Edmonton was the better team this game. I was mostly impressed by their penalty kill, though 75% of it was just winning the face off and not allowing the Stars to get set up. But those are two huge aspects of a PP/PK, so all the credit to them.

One thing this game reminded me of the Colorado series, not much animosity between the teams. They're just going out there and playing hockey. None of this constant after the whistle bs.

No surprises from either fanbase with overreacting after a game 1. It's the end of the world for Dallas, and Edmonton's winning the cup. Every series, every fan base. Like clockwork.
Marchment on a shift shortly after the Kane penalty got his gloves up and got draisaitl in the head.

Should’ve also been a roughing penalty.

If those oiler penalties were warranted, Dallas should’ve gotten penalties also.

Reactions: rhino71

Judge Dredd

Jan 18, 2020
Oh probably. Like I said earlier, for the most part the refs put their whistles away and weren't calling much.

They happened to call this slash, and of course Dallas did sweet-****-all with the man advantage anyway.

Also, it still doesn't address my question of why it apparently matters where the Stars player was slashed.
Why it matters is the standard refs have seemingly tried to set with weaker type slashes is that if it's up by the hands or arms impeding a scoring chance or causing loss of possession it's called. If it breaks a stick, it's called. If it's on a break away, it's mostly called.

This one wasn't close to anything like that.

Anyways, I just hope for a little more consistentcy in the series going forward. I'm sure it'll probably even out. Cheers.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I don’t think the game officiating was necessarily bad but how often in todays NHL do you see a penalty differential of 5-1 and a entire hockey team play 4 periods of hockey without committing a single infraction?

The penalties called against the Oilers were all penalties, the Bouchard slash was pretty weak, it didn’t catch the stars player on the hands it was the side of the leg and Thomas Harley later committed the exact same infraction on Holloway on a breakaway and it went uncalled. If you’re gonna call the Bouchard one you can’t miss the one on a scoring chance. All that said I’m sure things will even out over the course of a series and the penalty differential gap will be shrunk and the Oilers will get their chances on the PP.

Weathering a game like that and hanging in there to get the win is absolutely huge for the Oilers. The work their PK did last night was absolutely sublime, they are reading off eachother so well, trusting eachother and working as such a cohesive unit. That kind of performance gets a team fired up. Likewise Skinner has been looking like the goalie he was when the Oilers went on their long winning streak and they were only giving up 1-2 goals a game. You could see his confidence growing by the minute last night. He was tracking the puck well and battling, he’ll never be mistaken for the most athletic or technically sound goaltender but when he’s playing how he has the last 3 games he finds ways to keep the puck out of the net.

Reactions: Game 8

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
I tuned in to see Juggs McStuffinsn sitting behind behind DeBoer and was extremely sad she didn't show up.

So I watched the game. Glad I did.

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
Uh huh.

After your eyes stop rolling, use them to find examples of all the calls the refs might have missed.

High sticks drawing blood, maybe? Egregious trips?

Surely there were dozens, it's just that those dastardly refs drew a blind eye to every single one, right? :laugh:

(For the record I'm sure there were a handful of cases - going both ways - where the refs chose to let it go. But I'm glad we didn't see any "make-up calls" or phantom calls against Dallas just to even up the PP chances).
The issue is the standard set by the refs by calling the one on Kane and the one on Bouchard. If that's the standard, okay, whatever, let's go with that. Except that both teams did infractions more egregious than both of those penalties so it just leaves everyone confused.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
that was a coaching adjustment watching the oilers play, the oilers d are aggresive in ;inching 50/50s on the boards. so you throw a far side winger out far for a stretch to try and back up the D. if it works it works but if it doesnt you get hemmed in your zone

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
This series should go to 7 games. Probably 6 if bounces go one team's way.

I do think McDavid is playing with an injury and that might be an issue in a 7 game series.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad