Pre-Game Talk: WCF: Anaheim Ducks vs Chicago Blackhawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
Hawks in 7

But this is a horrible matchup for Hawks. Ducks are rolling along and healthy

Don't feel good about this series at all. Ducks are a lot better then the stiffs from Minny and injured Pred team

You realize the Ducks are probably the only team remaining in the playoffs that have beaten two weaker teams than the Blackhawks just beat right? Anaheim is good, don't get me wrong, but they just beat the Jets and the Flames. I mean come on... They have played nine playoff games, the Hawks have played 10.

Both teams will be up against and opponent much more talented than their first two opponents.

Last edited:

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I will say I never liked how the Toews line has played against the Getzlaf line when Getz is on his game. But, from the games I watched with Calgary/Winnipeg their forwards really seemed to miss opportunity after opportunity against the Ducks. They got to the slot more often than any teams in any other series but never seemed to convert. Hopefully we'll have the same chances and bury'em properly.

Last edited:

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Our stationary stand in a box PK against their PP scares me, otherwise I like our chances. As long as we play like we did against the Wild and not turn the puck over we should be fine.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
You realize the Ducks are probably the only team remaining in the playoffs that have beaten two weaker teams than the Blackhawks just beat right? Anaheim is good, don't get me wrong, but they just beat the Jets and the Flames. I mean come on... They have played nine playoff games, the Hawks have played 10.

Both teams will be up against and opponent much more talented than their first two opponents.

uhmmm the Preds actually are a good hockey Team. The Wild would have beaten the Jets/Flames too as would have the Blues and Preds.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
not going to say the Ducks are worse, but the Wild, Preds or Blues would have beaten the Jets and Flames too

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014
uhmmm the Preds actually are a good hockey Team. The Wild would have beaten the Jets/Flames too as would have the Blues and Preds.

The Preds, healthy, are a very good hockey team. They weren't fully healthy and the Hawks definitely didn't walk over them. In fact, you could say they got lucky to get past them.

I disagree that you can easily say the Wild would've beaten the Jets and Flames. The Wild simply weren't a good hockey team. They had a great second half and did it with a goalie that isn't that good either. I think they scared a lot of people into thinking they were a great team. Once the Hawks talent got to Dubnyk it was over. They went right back to the team that almost got Yeo fired late last year. They only beat the Blues because the Blues don't have a playoff gear.

I do think the Preds would've beaten the Flames and Jets.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The Preds, healthy, are a very good hockey team. They weren't fully healthy and the Hawks definitely didn't walk over them. In fact, you could say they got lucky to get past them.

I disagree that you can easily say the Wild would've beaten the Jets and Flames. The Wild simply weren't a good hockey team. They had a great second half and did it with a goalie that isn't that good either. I think they scared a lot of people into thinking they were a great team. Once the Hawks talent got to Dubnyk it was over. They went right back to the team that almost got Yeo fired late last year. They only beat the Blues because the Blues don't have a playoff gear.

I do think the Preds would've beaten the Flames and Jets.

Didn't see that series but it will remain one of life's little mysteries how Blues went down like they did. On paper, there is no contest. What a relief it was to face a Wild team that seemed unprepared from a coaching perspective and played us like they were satisfied with just advancing past the first round.

Blues would have offered a much bigger challenge, especially physically. It was tough losing Rozy for the year but the other Hawk players will be as well rested as we could possibly ask for going into the CF.

BobbleHeadNight*

The Wild and Preds are better than the Ducks, IMO. I'm just not a Ducks guy, haven't been the last three years.

Yeah, with Sharks and Kings down this year, they had no choice but to win that awful division.

Ducks need both home games to start the series, or it will be a short one, IMO.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
The Hawks carried almost a 59% corsi against the Ducks in the 3 games they played this year.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Eh, I'd call defense even at best.

Wat8.jpg

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Hawks#1 line will need to do more than they have so far in the playoffs..Hossa still has not beaten a goalie and is only +2 ...Saad has 3 goals but no helpers and is -1...Toews is only +3 ...so a hardly dominating line #1 in 5×5 net results despite what the possession numbers say..they need to score more..And if you tell me that they are used as a shutdown line rather than concentrating on attack then 1. that is contrary to every coaching 101 line function ordering...and 2. If this is the reason they fail to score enough then they had better neutralize the ANH top line with Perry and Getzlaf and come out on the plus side of that struggle...OR we will lose.

This means the Bickell Richards Kane line has to outperform the ANH second line with Silfverberg Kesler and Belesky...if the top lines of each team cancel out then scoring differentials from the 2nd lines probably decide the series...
The "X" factors will be the additional contribution levels from each of the teams bottom 2 lines and d-corps...but that is so random that nobody should count on it being an advantage to one team or another UNLESS Sharp plays well and becomes the single big difference-maker.

Finally of course...as it usually does...goaltending could be the deciding factor..If CC is a wall we should win...if he is just average and they get enough stops from their goaltending then we are not likely to pull this out.

As an overall...if we said to you that top lines cancel out....goaltending cancels out..and bottom 2 lines cancel out and d-corps cancel out...then it really comes down to which team's 2nd lines outperform the other team's 2nd line. .In that case, mano a Mano, Bickell vs. Silfverberg? Richards vs. Kesler? Kane vs. Belesky? Not exactly looking like a slam dunk for us ...If Kesler is the series difference-maker then we lose..Richards et al must not allow that to actualize..So Richards has to pull out all his old "A" game from the geezer files..Do that...we will win. And that is how likely? If instead Richards is meh or struggles then our #1 line had better shine so much brighter than the Getzlaf Perry line to make up that difference...OR else..We cannot win if both our top 2 lines combined play worse than the combined efforts of the ANH top 2 lines..it is that simple.

Nothingman*

Eh, I'd call defense even at best.

I am with you. D is pretty even. Forwards an edge to Chicago. But they have some that have played well in the POs that are normally just OK at best. Again, this was against the Nucks and Ramo and the Flames. There is little to relate from both team's paths to the WCF nor the RS. As we did not play each other after the trade deadline.

Still think Hawks in 6. Just not believing in Anderson and Craw was playing well in the Wild series.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Ducks have 6 NHL quality defenders

Fowler
Lindholm
Beauchemin
Vatanen
Stoner
Despres

4 damn good young one's and overall a nice group

Ducks D at worst = Hawks 4 man unit

Overall probably slightly > then Hawks because 6 NHL defenders is a lot more valuable in playoffs then 4 NHL defenders at this point

Hawks may have the best defender in series (Keith) and a more elite top 4 ,, But the lack of a 3rd pairing while Ducks can roll 3 pairings is an issue

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Hawks in 5

I'll just copy and paste what I wrote from the playoff board...even though it's apparently filled with "fail" and "spelling errors" :laugh: So sorry in advance for wasting your time with my garbage post.

"Hawks in 5

The Ducks have a really nice D core but Hawks have been playing great defensive cores the first two rounds and they've gotten through them. I don't see how the Ducks, especially without a number one defenseman, are going to be much different.

It will be interesting to see how the Hawks handle depth + an elite line considering they haven't had to do that yet this postseason. However, I think the Hawks have a better forward group and the Ducks will have a tougher time matching our forward strength.

The Hawks just beat a slumping Rinne but also the hottest goalie in the world and they did so pretty convincingly. I don't see Anderson being much of a problem at all for Chicago.

Ultimately both teams are great, that's why they're here, but the Hawks are just better. Simple as that. This Ducks group and Bruce Boudreau have proven nothing in the playoffs except for losing a close series to the Kings last year whereas Chicago is a group that is filled with winners who know what they're doing. I think the Hawks talent at all positions, depth (except the 3rd pair which remains to be seen), goaltending, coaching, and fast, puck-possession game are all superior to anything the Ducks have to offer and the Hawks take this series convincingly. "

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Ducks have 6 NHL quality defenders

Fowler
Lindholm
Beauchemin
Vatanen
Stoner
Despres

4 damn good young one's and overall a nice group

Ducks D at worst = Hawks 4 man unit

Overall probably slightly > then Hawks because 6 NHL defenders is a lot more valuable in playoffs then 4 NHL defenders at this point

The Hawks don't even have a 3rd pair right now. They weren't even running one last series either. The Hawks top 4 is better than the Ducks'.

I do agree the depth on the Ducks blue line is better, but I don't think it ends up mattering too much.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The Hawks don't even have a 3rd pair right now. They weren't even running one last series either. The Hawks top 4 is better than the Ducks'.

I do agree the depth on the Ducks blue line is better, but I don't think it ends up mattering too much.

Would it be reasonable to say like Teemu says that at best the D is even?

We will see what is more valuable but the pretending that Hawks having only 4 NHL defenders is not an issue seems foolish

Also the Ducks young D is very talented and the kids are playing well

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Would it be reasonable to say like Teemu says that at best the D is even?

We will see what is more valuable but the pretending that Hawks having only 4 NHL defenders is not an issue seems foolish

Also the Ducks young D is very talented and the kids are playing well

I don't think the bottom pairing of the Ducks makes up for the difference in the top 4, so no, I don't think it would be fair. I think overall they are close though.

I watched the last series and I think their defense can easily be exploited. The Flames are a pretty bad team and exposed them quite a bit.

By the way, Timmonen is an NHL defender. I don't care to argue with you on it though since we aren't going to change each other's minds on the issue.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I thought Timonen looked ok and he might not be a huge step down from what Rozsival was giving us. Bowman had to have SOMETHING in him when he traded for him. The bigger question mark IMO is the #6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad