WC QF: May 12 GDT - Russia vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Leadzedder said:
It's unfortunate that we'll never know. :)

Actually, I'm cheering for Datsyuk, Draper and Maltby. If Canada wins, that's just gravy. I'm stoked to see Dats and the russians play. This will be the first Russian game that TSN has aired.

During the 2002(?) World Juniors in Halifax (where I live) Russian beat Canada in the final. I was cheering for Canadian gold or a GWG by Grigorenko. :) The "Best Forward" for Grigorenko helped me get over the loss.

It was in 2003 and Grigorenko scored but game tieing goal :) By the way, at this championship Canada has the same coach as in 2003 in Halifax ;)))

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Slay said:
It was in 2003 and Grigorenko scored but game tieing goal :) By the way, at this championship Canada has the same coach as in 2003 in Halifax ;)))

Too bad about the car crash. Thankfully, Grigorenko is alright, but he doesn't seem to be quite at the level he was before....

The Benchwarmer

Apr 9, 2005
England
Leadzedder said:

Actually, I'm cheering for Datsyuk, Draper and Maltby. If Canada wins, that's just gravy. I'm stoked to see Dats and the russians play. This will be the first Russian game that TSN has aired.

During the 2002(?) World Juniors in Halifax (where I live) Russian beat Canada in the final. I was cheering for Canadian gold or a GWG by Grigorenko. :) The "Best Forward" for Grigorenko helped me get over the loss.

HAHA fighting talk, seriously though, I'm sure it's going to be a tough game, and I expect Canada to come out hard with a very physical game. Although Russia hasn't been particularly convincing in a lot of the games, it does seem to come thro with the right result, so we shall see.

Last edited:

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
CSKA said:
this is not right ! NOT ALL ! And we all know what happened in 98 Nagano ? There was our best team with best defenders !

If I remember, in Nagano we beat the Russian team. We beat the goaltender, we beat the forwards, be beat the defenders.

We lost to Bure.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Slay said:
Really? Gosh, we're going to lose for sure. He sure suck.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Wingmanrob said:
WOW, this is the sort of post some of the Canadians ought to pay attention to, an intelligent and gracious post from someone, after his team has lost.

I think both teams played well, and I think Finland has proved it has an extremely strong team and will continue to have for the next few years at least.

Somehow I cant imagine there'll be many posts from Canadians like this if Russia ends up beating Canada in the next round.
Excuse me but I've seen a lot of whining from Europeans when they lose too. I don't think we're any worse. If you ask me, Czechs and Slovaks whine a lot, Swedes are arrogant and Canadians make many excuses. Americans are the ones who are the most balanced IMO (only in hockey).

Raipe

May 25, 2004
This loss doesnt worry me a lot.World Championship is a joke.Bring on World Cup.Am i rigght swedes? :biglaugh:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Canuck21t said:
Excuse me but I've seen a lot of whining from Europeans when they lose too. I don't think we're any worse. If you ask me, Czechs and Slovaks whine a lot, Swedes are arrogant and Canadians make many excuses. Americans are the ones who are the most balanced IMO (only in hockey).
Usually swedes find odd reasons to why they lose (this goes for the commentators too), Finns say that they were bound to lose anyway, canadians differ from time to time, usually taking it pretty cool, or taking out their anger on others, and americans are rather cool with it.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Americans are cool because they simply don't care about hockey.

Imagine the outcry if somebody beats them in lawndarts, bowling or some other popular sport in US :D

What can I say, the more skilled team won. Finland's 'top' line was totally useless, both Kallio and Peltonen were totally lost and Jokinen couldn't carry that line alone. One can only wonder why the hell Hagman was replaced by Kallio for the Russia game as Peltonen didn't manage anything in this whole tournament. Kallio was a total joke, he couldn't finish the chances he had and generally sucked big time.

Brutal coaching, brutal goaltending and poor finishing, team Finland didn't deserve to advance.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Pepper said:
Brutal coaching, brutal goaltending and poor finishing, team Finland didn't deserve to advance.
Only one line looked to belong in this tier of the world champs to be honest...

Bäckström wasn't that bad, his numbers would've been alot better if he knew he had a defense he could trust.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
mattihp said:
Only one line looked to belong in this tier of the world champs to be honest...

Bäckström wasn't that bad, his numbers would've been alot better if he knew he had a defense he could trust.
Or we could turn this also the other way around. Team Finland would have played alot better if they would have a goalie they could trust. Bäcks was really shaky almost the whole tournament. Only one good game for him, the game against Latvia.

The Benchwarmer

Apr 9, 2005
England
Canuck21t said:

Probably only from games when they've lost to Canada, I think Euro's feel they can get away with whining because Canadians are the kings of whining, even the "Great One" is a master at this discipline". I'm sure you'll find there's a lot less whining when a Euro team loses to another.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Ipa said:
And why was Petteri Nummelin one of our shooters?

Nummelin was actually the one player I could anticipate to be there. He was the most offensively skilled of that pathetic bunch (not in this tournament, but generally) and the last time I saw him take a penalty shot he scored with a rather convincing deke. This time he went for the shot though - probably due to poor ice - and, well, screwed up.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Leadzedder said:

He he, I'm cheering for all the Wings, too!
Zetterberg and Kronvall have been top players for Sweden. Datsyuk has score timely goals for Russia(altho I've only seen them on highlights)
Thank God Canada is playing Russia tommorow, or I'd have gone a whole year without seeing Datsyuk! Go Wings GO! Lockout will not kill my fandom!

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Canuck21t said:

How do you know? Do you speak Swedish, Czech or Russian? Do you visit those countries' boards?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Padawan said:
Or we could turn this also the other way around. Team Finland would have played alot better if they would have a goalie they could trust. Bäcks was really shaky almost the whole tournament. Only one good game for him, the game against Latvia.
You can't go switching goalies back and forth and anticipate him to be on the top of his game...

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
mattihp said:
You can't go switching goalies back and forth and anticipate him to be on the top of his game...

You can always replace a goalie who's sucking big time.

espo*

wilka91 said:
How do you know? Do you speak Swedish, Czech or Russian? Do you visit those countries' boards?
Go to the ihwc message boards.you'll find all you can handle there.......they speak English and have turned whining into an art form.the worst on the planet bar none.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
I havent read the thread but did you know the RUS coach said that he hadnt chosen Kovalchuk for the penalty shots?

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Reading the thread and bashing the FIN goalie, it made me remember the 2004 bronze medal shootout between USA and SVK. Lasak got scored on 4 times from 4 attempts. He got scored on 4 shots from 4. :(

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
12# Peter Bondra said:
I havent read the thread but did you know the RUS coach said that he hadnt chosen Kovalchuk for the penalty shots?

yeah I know

the no. 5 and 6 shooters would have been Kovalev and Semin, no Ovechkin or Kovalchuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan