wayne gretzky question

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
I thought gretzky had 3 conn smythe awards, well I was checking the special features on the ultimate gretzky dvd and he only had 2. My question is who won the conn smythe when the oilers won the stanley cup.

I know messier won it 1 time, gretzky 2 times, ranford 1 time. Who won it the other year.

Hal 9000*

I thought gretzky had 3 conn smythe awards, well I was checking the special features on the ultimate gretzky dvd and he only had 2. My question is who won the conn smythe when the oilers won the stanley cup.

I know messier won it 1 time, gretzky 2 times, ranford 1 time. Who won it the other year.

I Think that was when Ron Hextall won it on the losing team.

kmw220*

another question, how didnt Gretzky win the Rookie of the Year award?

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA

Wayne played in the WHA in the 78-79 season. When the WHA and NHL merged starting for the 79-80 season no players who played in the WHA were considered rookies. Thats why he never won the Calder trophy. Even though he had 137 points and finished tied with Marcel Dionne for the scoring title ( Dionne won because he scored more goals).

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003

Source: http://www.allsports.com/players/wayne-gretzky/

Career Highlights, Awards, and Accolades:

* Won Lou Kaplan Trophy in 1979 as WHA Rookie of the Year.
* Won Hart Memorial Trophy as NHL’s MVP: 1980-87.
* Won Art Ross Trophy as NHL’s top scorer: 1981-87, 1990, 1991, and 1994.
* Won Conn Smith Trophy as NHL playoff MVP: 1985, and 1988.
* Won Lester B. Pearson Award for NHL outstanding player, voted by his peers: 1982-85, 1987.
* Awarded Lady Byng Memorial Trophy for sportsmanship: 1980, 1991-92, 1994, and 1999.
* Voted Chrysler-Dodge/NHL Performer of the Year: 1985-87.
* Awarded the Lester Patrick Trophy in 1994 for outstanding service to hockey in the United States.
* Awarded the Lou Marsh Trophy as Canadian Athlete of the Year: 1982-83, 1985, and 1989.
* Three-time NHL All-Star MVP: 1983, 1989, and 1999.
* Eight-time NHL First All-Star Team: 1981-87, and 1991.
* Seven-time NHL Second All-Star Team: 1980, 1988-90, 1994, 1997, and 1998.
* In 1984 named an Officer of the Order of Canada.
* Elected to the Hockey Hall of fame on November 22, 1999.
* Holds all-time record with 92 goals in a season.
* Holds all-time record with 215 points in a season.
* Holds all-time record with 163 assists in a season.
* Only player in NHL history to score 200 or more points in a season.
* Holds all-time record in career points with 2,857.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
So Gretzky is of Greek descent

Gretzky = Greek in Polish

Jesus, what we've done for this world... we gave you democracy, philosophy, olympics, Feta, Yogurt and the best Hockey player of all time....

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Kournianos

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Its funny because Gretzky led the playoffs in scoring 6 times and won just two Smythes. There is almost never anything in Gretzky's career that is anything remotely underwhelming, but you have to figure that perhaps the voters had some fatigue over him winning everything. Because two seems low - for him anyway. Granted, twice when he led the playoffs in points they lost in the Cup final. But every time his teams reached the Cup final he led the playoffs in scoring. And even in 1986 he almost did too despite playing in just two rounds.

But I think in 1984 maybe they liked Messier's all around game and it took Gretzky until Game 3 to score a point against the Islanders. But he finished strong in the last two games. Maybe that and the voter fatigue was enough for them to pick Messier. Plus, who else was ever even that close to Gretzky before? Check out the 1984 regular season scoring for example. So Messier being just 9 points behind might have been like: "Well, he's close enough, plus his two-way game, so pick him."

1985 and 1988 are no brainers. I have no idea though why they always count the cancelled Game 4 in Boston with stats. It was a cancelled game. Other than that, Gretzky has 11 points in 4 games. But with the game it is 13, which is a record in the final. Either way, he was the man that year.

1987 he had 34 points overall and 11 points in 7 games in the final. But in this case Gretzky is going against himself. This is who they are judging him by, his past. And 1985 was a better postseason for him. So by 1987 they might be more "Meh" when you see "only" 34 points.

I love what McDavid did in 2024 in the playoffs, it is the stuff of legends and it is a darn shame the cherry on top was not the Cup. But it was still spectacular. That being said, to show you how spectacular Gretzky's playoff career is you have to realize Gretzky did this similar thing 6 times!

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Messier rather seamlessly converted to an elite centerman from left wing in 1984, the journos are all about narratives and their vote always reflects that.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
He also never scored 50 past age 28
How many people did it before turning 20 and after turning 28 ? I think sometime we would call greater longevity to the people that do something from 23 to 32 than 19 to 28

10 full season of being a 50 goals scorer like that's is not a short amount of time, even Mike Bossy did not had as long of a 50 goals window.

It is about the same as Lemieux, Bobby Hull, Sakic if we count his 1991 has a 50 goals season, longer than Bure.. if you are not a freak like Ovechkin or a long break to repair and replace yourself like Selanne (that almost did it longer), you are rarely an elite scorer much longer than Gretzky was.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
So Gretzky is of Greek descent

Gretzky = Greek in Polish

Jesus, what we've done for this world... we gave you democracy, philosophy, olympics, Feta, Yogurt and the best Hockey player of all time....

According to Wikipedia:

The Gretzky family were landowners in the multinational Russian Empire, and supporters of Tsar Nicholas II,[3] originally from Grodno (now in Belarus).[4] Prior to the outbreak of the Russian Revolution, Gretzky's father Anton ("Tony") Gretzky (Polish: Antoni Grecki, Belarusian: Антон Грэцкі) immigrated along with his family to Canada via the United States, landing first in Chicago.[3] Following World War I, Anton, who served in the Canadian Expeditionary Force,[3] married Mary, who immigrated from the town of Pidhaitsi, in what was then eastern Poland and after World War II became western Ukraine due to border shifts.[5]

Gretzky's ancestry is typically described as either Belarusian, Ukrainian, or Polish.[6] In interviews, Gretzky stated that his parents were "white Russians from Belarus",[7] and whenever anyone asked his father if they were Russian, he would reply, "Nyet. Belarus."[3][8] On other occasions he mentioned his family's Polish ancestry.[9][full citation needed] In his autobiography Gretzky stated that his first language was Ukrainian[3] which would logically have come from his mother's influence and which is not inconsistent with being of Belarusian or Polish heritage on his father's side.

Give us a couple more Gretzky's and we might forgive you for inventing yogurt.

Here you go: Vyacheslav Gretsky

Jocke1

Mar 31, 2022
Jocke1 said:
Well if I had to name one thing, I guess it would be that his +/- rating was a -80 between '93-'99.

I'd say it was his wife's choice of bookies

His +/- between '93-'99 is rather interesting if you break it down.

He played a total of 443 games and had a -80 rating, only five other players in the league
had worse numbers. Alexandre Daigle with -151, Roman Hamrlik with -91, Nelson Emerson with -87,
Chris Gratton with -85 and Kirk Muller with -82.

During the '93-'99 stretch Gretzky was a -52 for the Kings, -6 for the Blues and -22 for the Rangers.

While he was with the Rangers no other player on the roster had more minus than Gretzky had.
By contrast, during the same period Gretzky and Messier played as Rangers together, Gretzky played 234 games and led the team with a -22, while Messier played 267 games and led the team with a +74 (closest to Messier were Beukeboom with a +35).

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
According to Wikipedia:

The Gretzky family were landowners in the multinational Russian Empire, and supporters of Tsar Nicholas II,[3] originally from Grodno (now in Belarus).[4] Prior to the outbreak of the Russian Revolution, Gretzky's father Anton ("Tony") Gretzky (Polish: Antoni Grecki, Belarusian: Антон Грэцкі) immigrated along with his family to Canada via the United States, landing first in Chicago.[3] Following World War I, Anton, who served in the Canadian Expeditionary Force,[3] married Mary, who immigrated from the town of Pidhaitsi, in what was then eastern Poland and after World War II became western Ukraine due to border shifts.[5]

Gretzky's ancestry is typically described as either Belarusian, Ukrainian, or Polish.[6] In interviews, Gretzky stated that his parents were "white Russians from Belarus",[7] and whenever anyone asked his father if they were Russian, he would reply, "Nyet. Belarus."[3][8] On other occasions he mentioned his family's Polish ancestry.[9][full citation needed] In his autobiography Gretzky stated that his first language was Ukrainian[3] which would logically have come from his mother's influence and which is not inconsistent with being of Belarusian or Polish heritage on his father's side.

Here you go: Vyacheslav Gretsky

Search what Gretzky means in Polish

"The funny but is that if you reverse the anglicization of his surname - Gretzky - it becomes "Grecki" in Polish. Which means "Greek". It is therefore quite possible that some ancestor of his came from Greece to Polish occupied Belarus."

He's polish/Ukranian/Belarussian for sure 100%... but his last name suggest that his lineage is of greek descent.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Search what Gretzky means in Polish

"The funny but is that if you reverse the anglicization of his surname - Gretzky - it becomes "Grecki" in Polish. Which means "Greek". It is therefore quite possible that some ancestor of his came from Greece to Polish occupied Belarus."

He's polish/Ukranian/Belarussian for sure 100%... but his last name suggest that his lineage is of greek descent.
No. In the 18th century there was no such thing as Belarus (never mind "Polish occupied"). In this region you had among others a Ruthenian-speaking population that may well have encompassed some of Gretzky's ancestors. This was an East Slavic language born in the 15th century and later developed into modern Belarusian, Ukrainian, and Rusyn. Belarusian national identity was born in the 19th century when the area was a part of the Russian Empire, still nascent around the time when Gretzky's ancestors left for America. Typical around that place and time would still have been a lack of any clearly defined national identity in modern terms, which might be why Gretzky himself seems to have no clear preference between Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian.

As for the etymology there could be many reasons, for example the family might have been Greek Catholics and therefore called Grecki. The Greckis belonged to the Polish szlachta nobility (Prawdzic coat of arms). The Russians recognized Polish nobility in practice only according to wealth, if the Gretzkys were supporters of Czar Nicholas as has been suggested then it could be that they had retained rights in the lower nobility.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
No. In the 18th century there was no such thing as Belarus (never mind "Polish occupied"). In this region you had among others a Ruthenian-speaking population that may well have encompassed some of Gretzky's ancestors. This was an East Slavic language born in the 15th century and later developed into modern Belarusian, Ukrainian, and Rusyn. Belarusian national identity was born in the 19th century when the area was a part of the Russian Empire, still nascent around the time when Gretzky's ancestors left for America. Typical around that place and time would still have been a lack of any clearly defined national identity in modern terms, which might be why Gretzky himself seems to have no clear preference between Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian.

As for the etymology there could be many reasons, for example the family might have been Greek Catholics and therefore called Grecki. The Greckis belonged to the Polish szlachta nobility (Prawdzic coat of arms). The Russians recognized Polish nobility in practice only according to wealth, if the Gretzkys were supporters of Czar Nicholas as has been suggested then it could be that they had retained rights in the lower nobility.

He's from greek descent man... lets be honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad