OT: Washington Redskins 2020 Season Thread 9: Happy Chase Young Day Draft Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
They had no leverage with Williams. And people can say you can hold him until someone is desperate, but if he isn't playing, there's no value. The time to move him was last year and previous management blew that. You get the best deal that you can get. I get that a 5th this year and a 3rd next year isn't ideal, but it's better than nothing. Now, if only they address the tight end. We can't go into camp with that collection of hot garbage, regardless of what Rivera and company say......

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Why were the panthers one of the worst teams in the league last year if Ron is such a great coach?

The 1989 Cowboys were 1-15. Their one win was against the Redskins who were coached by Joe Gibbs at the time.

In regards to Rivera and the Panthers losing to the Skins last year, when a team losses their starting QB to injury their win/loss record is impacted in a negative way. and they sometimes lose to bad teams.

Thanks for making me explain the obvious.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
They had no leverage with Williams. And people can say you can hold him until someone is desperate, but if he isn't playing, there's no value. The time to move him was last year and previous management blew that....

Dude wake up and smell the narcissism. The guy who orchestrated all this nonsense still owns the team. His fingerprints are all over the flatscreen.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Why were the panthers one of the worst teams in the league last year if Ron is such a great coach?

Their D got old and they have been really good when Newton was healthy, really bad when he’s been out. I don’t think Rivera is the second coming of JFC but he’s respected around the league and, more importantly, within his org.

IMO he’s a significant upgrade over Gruden and Exhibit A is Del Rio v. Manusky. Gruden is not a galvanizing figure and that’s born out by the talent level of the coaches he’s able to attract.

The easy money is on Rivera failing in DC - like so many have before him under Snyder. He does have a chance though and it’s not his fault that Allen screwed the pooch on Cousins and Williams.

I’ll give Rivera and Co the benefit of the doubt for a few years and at least with Young they finally have a premier building block. A sliver of optimism is a substantial step in the right direction at least - even if it turns out to be all for naught.

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
The 1989 Cowboys were 1-15. Their one win was against the Redskins who were coached by Joe Gibbs at the time.

In regards to Rivera and the Panthers losing to the Skins last year, when a team losses their starting QB to injury their win/loss record is impacted in a negative way. and they sometimes lose to bad teams.

Thanks for making me explain the obvious.

The same starting QB that they let go and was perpetually hurt? Gee who could have predicted that..

How about their MVP caliber RB or former defensive MVP in Luke Keuchly? You haven’t explained anything. The only thing you have demonstrated is that your thinking is from the dinosaur era. Wake up to the reality. This team has only slightly improved because they got rid of that monstrosity in Bruce Allen. Other than that it’s the same poo in a different bag.

Kyle Allen as our de facto GM? Gtfo here. You’re either naive or clinically insane if you think you’re being rational. You have got used to the perpetual losing and have no aspirations to have a big boy organization, like the Ravens, in place to make smart football decisions.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
The same starting QB that they let go and was perpetually hurt? Gee who could have predicted that..

How about their MVP caliber RB or former defensive MVP in Luke Keuchly? You haven’t explained anything. The only thing you have demonstrated is that your thinking is from the dinosaur era. Wake up to the reality. This team has only slightly improved because they got rid of that monstrosity in Bruce Allen. Other than that it’s the same poo in a different bag.

Kyle Allen as our de facto GM? Gtfo here. You’re either naive or clinically insane if you think you’re being rational. You have got used to the perpetual losing and have no aspirations to have a big boy organization, like the Ravens, in place to make smart football decisions.

Yawn. You can’t fix stupid.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Oh you think so, eh? Who is the General Manager?

Kyle Smith is the VP of Player Personnel and as they've said all along, they will decide after the draft if they need to redo the front office. Kyle has run the draft board for the past three years so this is nothing new -- which, by the way, have been three solid drafts -- and Ron has enough trust in him that he didn't bring Marty Hurney along with him from the Panthers to serve as GM. Any other snide comments or questions I can answer for you?

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
Their D got old and they have been really good when Newton was healthy, really bad when he’s been out. I don’t think Rivera is the second coming of JFC but he’s respected around the league and, more importantly, within his org.

IMO he’s a significant upgrade over Gruden and Exhibit A is Del Rio v. Manusky. Gruden is not a galvanizing figure and that’s born out by the talent level of the coaches he’s able to attract.

The easy money is on Rivera failing in DC - like so many have before him under Snyder. He does have a chance though and it’s not his fault that Allen screwed the pooch on Cousins and Williams.

I’ll give Rivera and Co the benefit of the doubt for a few years and at least with Young they finally have a premier building block. A sliver of optimism is a substantial step in the right direction at least - even if it turns out to be all for naught.

I agree with what you said about Rivera, but it feels stale. No GM, de facto GM is a hire from within the organization, OC is a retread from a losing team, and the same pos of owner.

Call me pessimistic, but it doesn’t really move the needle for me.

CaptainAmerica

OV >>>>>> Crosby
May 3, 2010
Charlottesville,VA
Kyle Smith is the VP of Player Personnel and as they've said all along, they will decide after the draft if they need to redo the front office. Kyle has run the draft board for the past three years so this is nothing new -- which, by the way, have been three solid drafts -- and Ron has enough trust in him that he didn't bring Marty Hurney along with him from the Panthers to serve as GM. Any other snide comments or questions I can answer for you?

His comment was very reasonable. You think we had a great draft last couple of years? McLauren is the only gem from last year.

Anyways, if your organization has been complete shit for the past 20 years, probably not the best idea to hire from within...

Last edited:

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I agree with what you said about Rivera, but it feels stale. No GM, de facto GM is a hire from within the organization, OC is a retread from a losing team, and the same pos of owner.

Call me pessimistic, but it doesn’t really move the needle for me.

I think Rivera, and the pundits, really liked our draft last year. Seems like Rivera got a feel for the landscape and what was going on inside the building and decided to give Smith the opportunity to string two together. In all honesty I’ve liked what I’ve seen/heard from Smith since he stepped into the spotlight over the last segment here.

I’m perhaps one of the more jaded Monikers fans out there. Even if Rivera isn’t Belichick I think there’s a chance that he improves the fundamental environment of the organization. And even if that doesn’t lead to the promised land, it’s a massive step for a team that has been both dysfunctional...and toxic...for decades.

Most teams have to at least be good before they can be great. I think Rivera has a puncher’s chance to make that happen. That moves the needle for me from utter apathy and indifference to mild curiosity. Once again, baby steps...

Team SWOLEvechkin

Oct 4, 2019
Do we think the Skins will be more fun to watch than last year? I do.
Do you think the Skins ended up with the best defensive player in the draft? I do.
Do you think Jack and Ron will produce a more competitive and accountable locker room than the last two coaches? I do.
Do you think the Skins will win more games than they did last year? I do (although the schedule does us no favors).

Maybe I'm drinking the yearly kool-aid but I personally think they will trot out a better product than what we've seen the last few years and if people buy in, this could be a competitive team in two or three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad