Washington REALLY helped by Kempny trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I might be one of the bigger Kempny fans here and love to see him succeed after he leaver but he is still just a good #5 or average-at-best #4. This is not a negative just more of the reality of what he is.

He meshes really well with John Carlson so they have played well.

I would like to see the Hawks make a move for John Carlson and run these pairings (depending on the draft results #8 specifically; note: I would rather have JT rather than JC).

2-74
42-5
44/7/HJ/CD/etc.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Market suicide... lol. Who in the flying **** is not going to attend Hawks' games because they fired Q? People are going to stop attending because the team sucks, and the ticket prices are too high. The team sucks in large part BECAUSE of Q. He stays the coach much longer, and people aren't showing up anyways. Nobody is going to pay those ticket prices to watch a team that doesn't make the playoffs.

Firing Q also sends the message that their performance is not acceptable and they expect better... Which is kind of a good message to send.
Hey, I agree...I think *both* Bowman and Q should have been out on their butts after this season. I'm just trying to crawl inside the mind of Rudy Russo, our CEO and figure out why the ultimatum was this season, and not after the last one where we epic failed the playoffs.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
Again, there's a pretty major difference between firing a first time coach with no real accomplishments under their belt and firing one of the winningest coaches in league history who had won multiple championships for your team in recent memory and was guaranteed to get into the Hall of Fame. You're free to think that I overstated the negative impact of seemingly unceremoniously canning Q would elicit, but he's not remotely comparable to Savard.

And, if anything, firing a fan favorite without any issue previously is seemingly proof at the very least that the thesis of not wanting to can a popular coach doesn't hold much water.
This team has championship aspirations and they were bounced from the 1st round twice(with one of them being a particularly embarrassing sweep) and then missed the playoffs in the last three years. I don't really get how Q getting fired after that would come as any sort of shock to anyone.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The window to fire Q closed when they announced he'd be back next season. Nothing short of it being a retirement/promotion has us going into training camp with a fresh direction.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Don't see myself watching much Hawks' hockey next season, as a result.

If our first rounder starts the season on the roster and maybe lights a fire under some of these guys asses, I might watch.

If it's the same uninspired boring play, I'll watch even less than this year which was a very little to begin with.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If our first rounder starts the season on the roster and maybe lights a fire under some of these guys asses, I might watch.

If it's the same uninspired boring play, I'll watch even less than this year which was a very little to begin with.

As it stands now, if Q does return as the coach I will not be renewing my Center Ice. It's going take something significant for that to change for this casual fan.

Blackhawk93

May 2, 2018
I might be one of the bigger Kempny fans here and love to see him succeed after he leaver but he is still just a good #5 or average-at-best #4. This is not a negative just more of the reality of what he is.

He meshes really well with John Carlson so they have played well.

I would like to see the Hawks make a move for John Carlson and run these pairings (depending on the draft results #8 specifically; note: I would rather have JT rather than JC).

2-74
42-5
44/7/HJ/CD/etc.
I do not want John Carlson on this team for what it’s gonna cost to get him. He’s looking at potentially 9million for 8years.

He’s just okay defensively, and he put up a career year hitting ufa, and came nowhere close to replicating that season at any point in his career. Not to mention half the points came on an absolutely stacked powerplay. I can see the team who gives Carlson that contract regret it real quick.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I do not want John Carlson on this team for what it’s gonna cost to get him. He’s looking at potentially 9million for 8years.

He’s just okay defensively, and he put up a career year hitting ufa, and came nowhere close to replicating that season at any point in his career. Not to mention half the points came on an absolutely stacked powerplay. I can see the team who gives Carlson that contract regret it real quick.

Where did you see that number?

There’s no way a team gives him that kind of contract. I’m willing to bet he signs a 6 year deal in the $6.5-7 million range.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

I have not seen 9 million reported any where, can you share the article?

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I have not seen 9 million reported any where, can you share the article?

Well I don’t think that article exists because the poster suggests Carlson will be looking for 8 years from a different team. Only the Caps can give Carlson 8 years, so I think the poster made that up.

Blackhawk93

May 2, 2018
Well I don’t think that article exists because the poster suggests Carlson will be looking for 8 years from a different team. Only the Caps can give Carlson 8 years, so I think the poster made that up.
You’re right I goofed that part, if he hits free agency we can only give him 7 years.

However I’m looking around the league and see that Ekman-Larsson is gonna get 8 mil + from the Coyotes. He had nowhere near the year Carlson did so you have to guess if he hits free agency that’ll be the starting price for him. I’m convinced some stupid GM will give him more than that too. It’s a hefty price to pay which is why I’m so weary of him.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
You’re right I goofed that part, if he hits free agency we can only give him 7 years.

However I’m looking around the league and see that Ekman-Larsson is gonna get 8 mil + from the Coyotes. He had nowhere near the year Carlson did so you have to guess if he hits free agency that’ll be the starting price for him. I’m convinced some stupid GM will give him more than that too. It’s a hefty price to pay which is why I’m so weary of him.

That makes sense. Most reports I’ve seen speculate on him aiming for around $7 million.

I think OEL will get more than Carlson since he’s younger. Since you compared the two, I went and looked at their numbers, and I didn’t realize how similar OEL’s and Carlson’s production numbers are. I always just assumed OEL well out-produced Carlson, but people would argue OEL did it surrounded by a far worse team.

Blackhawk93

May 2, 2018
That makes sense. Most reports I’ve seen speculate on him aiming for around $7 million.

I think OEL will get more than Carlson since he’s younger. Since you compared the two, I went and looked at their numbers, and I didn’t realize how similar OEL’s and Carlson’s production numbers are. I always just assumed OEL well out-produced Carlson, but people would argue OEL did it surrounded by a far worse team.
One other thing to note is One could argue Carlson already took a discount his last contract, considering he made under 4 million for the past 6 years.

The only way I see him making under 8 million is if he is willing to take another discount with Washington. If he wants 8 million, he’ll easily find a team willing to give it to him.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
One other thing to note is One could argue Carlson already took a discount his last contract, considering he made under 4 million for the past 6 years.

The only way I see him making under 8 million is if he is willing to take another discount with Washington. If he wants 8 million, he’ll easily find a team willing to give it to him.

There’s a slight chance he gets $8 million, but I don’t think he gets the $9 million like you mentioned earlier.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
As it stands now, if Q does return as the coach I will not be renewing my Center Ice. It's going take something significant for that to change for this casual fan.

My feelings as well. Being a die hard fan does not mean you have to watch and support the team no matter what they do. Keeping Q is the first time in the Rocky Wirtz era I smell cheapness. They did not want to pay Q the remainder of his contract as well as a new coach. I am not supporting the team blindly, watching them play this past season was dreadful.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
My feelings as well. Being a die hard fan does not mean you have to watch and support the team no matter what they do. Keeping Q is the first time in the Rocky Wirtz era I smell cheapness. They did not want to pay Q the remainder of his contract as well as a new coach. I am not supporting the team blindly, watching them play this past season was dreadful.

Strongly disagree definitionally. Much of sports terminology is bogus and meaningless terms bickered about. But all points of the term is to actually support the idea/team/goal blindly.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Ehh, I'll watch them next year, if not to celebrate the wins to watch in masochistic amusement at the ensuing medical-waste dumpster fire.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
"Yes. In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again."
Chauncey Gardiner ( Chance the Gardner )

Reactions: No Fun Shogun

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
"Yes. In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again."
Chauncey Gardiner ( Chance the Gardner )

No joke, Being There is one of my all-time favorite books. Solid reference.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Strongly disagree definitionally. Much of sports terminology is bogus and meaningless terms bickered about. But all points of the term is to actually support the idea/team/goal blindly.

Hence the die-hard fan who still follows every move and game of the team despite disagreeing with most of the organizational decisions (for going on 3+ years now).

I, for one, just can't do it anymore. Not with Q as HC.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
There’s a slight chance he gets $8 million, but I don’t think he gets the $9 million like you mentioned earlier.
Carlson gets Subban money - zero doubt about it...he isn't under $9mil per year, that ship has sailed...

people can say they don't want Carlson at that money, but if we didn't have Seabs under contract, I would venture a guess that says the majority of this board would be drooling to get Carlson..he is having a career year, but has been a 50 point player if playing a full 80 games the past few years...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad