Confirmed with Link: Washington Capitals have acquired forward Andrew Mangiapane from the Calgary Flames for a second-round pick in the 2025

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yes after my first stint as a mod after it was a relief to have an ignore for admittedly a very very segment of posters generally of one. I have developed in my second stint to be able to scan a bit an disconnect my own opinions. Admittedly on extreme data analytics folks who seem to willingly disconnect of a balance of common sense (imho). Basically fundamentalist of the spiritual side of things.
100% why I quit.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
For everyone on that Flames team coming back 2 years ago, roster with nowhere to go but downhill and they lose 4-1 to their rivals, Gaudreau signs with Columbus of all places for less money than the Flames offered, the Tkachuk trade looks worse every week, Lindholm was openly a trade target for like 11 months - I can see how everyone would fall off. Here's Lindholm over the last 2 years in Calgary, he was still traded for a 1st
Lindholm started poorly in Vancouver but had 5 g 5 a in 13 playoff games.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Judging by the trade values from last years TDL there is no way we get more than a second if we trade him.
I dunno about that. IF Mangie is on pace to score 20 or so, and IF Caps retain 50% (which they can easily do), I could see them getting at least a 2nd. I’d wager even more.

I don’t think it’ll be a first, but I could see a 2nd & a 3rd, as an example.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
I mean, one guy has a handful of in the teens goal scoring seasons and one 35 (that looks like a massive outlier), the other has 3 over 25, another 2 with 19…….Debrusk should make considerably more, but if AM has a 20+ goal season in his contract year, and he’s right back around that value….
DeBrusk is a really interesting comp for Mangiapane. Both are smallish wingers drafted in 2015 who have one career 50+ point season that they couldn't replicate. Both played exactly 16:11 per night over the last three seasons, got 2nd unit PP and PK time, and recorded about 4 hits and 2 takeaways per 60. Mangiapane's career 82 game pace is 21-21-42, Debrusk's is 24-23-47.

The big difference is quality of linemates. Over the last three years Mangiapane played almost exclusively with Coleman and Backlund, while DeBrusk was riding shotgun with Marchand and Bergeron/Coyle. I bet if they'd swapped places it would've been Mangiapane outproducing DeBrusk. I'm sure DeBrusk will get more on the open market than Mangiapane, but not sure he deserves it.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I don't think the East has been put on notice with these additions, even if the value given up has been more than fine. They're fine additions. To what extent either player gels and makes those around them better is a big question and for me they need a greater certainty in that regard. There's still considerable work to be done. If this is basically it up front barring a Leonard signing or a cheap dumpster dive I'm not convinced it's enough firepower. It really depends on how strong of an off-season some of the competition has in turn (and just how much internal development takes place). It's all relative to the competition. How does Carolina navigate so much potential turnover? What else does New Jersey have in store? What does Tampa get up to? Does Pittsburgh have anything in them? Can one of the younger teams like DET/BUF/OTT make a splash to take the next step? How about PHI/NYI?

I don't think the Caps have gotten out to any real lead here. They also haven't given up prime assets per se and do have at least have the potential to be bold if they want. But they're likely restricted by the cap and also finding a taker for Jensen/TVR. There's not a ton to hack off this roster otherwise. Would they sign a free agent blueliner then, say, pay to dump Jensen/TVR for one of their remaining extra seconds? Wouldn't put it past them. For now it's hard to figure teams won't just wait and see if they can sign a Montour/Roy/Tanev/Walker/Pesce/Carrier. It's a deep RD group, even moreso with Ekblad, Trouba, Marino and Savard all potentially in play on the trade market as well.

The lack of clarity on Oshie's status makes it hard to believe they'd outright spend his space elsewhere instead of giving him the respect to find a solution. Maybe they know a little more about the likelihood of that minus a procedure. It is probably wishful thinking but MacLellan has made it sound more like they'd need until later in the off-season for it to be fully resolved.

All in all I think they needed to keep the bar extremely high in how they went about spending their precious cap space. They decided Mangiapane was worth it and we'll see. At best there's cap flexibility a year from now but I think it's fair to question the value of spending any picks for what essentially may be a stopgap (and one that doesn't have much of a track record as a consistent top six player). They needed to be active and will continue to be active. It's just an unconvincing start IMO with so much to play out across the league in the coming weeks.
Lots of stuff to unpack here but couple of quick hits:
* They are going to try and move Dee. GMBM is very coy so of course we don’t know what is going on. Nobody saw Manigie trade coming
* TVR and Jensen are good values at 3M and 4M - good value adds for experienced Dee for someone in a compete window. Most teams can’t afford Montour, Roy, etc. Not just money but term. TVR and Jensen have two years and then done. Again great for those in cup window
* Regarding Oshie… of course fans don’t have clarity. GMBM isn’t going to overplay his hand publicly right when draft and FA starts. But they probably have the clarity they need behind closed doors. That was important to Oshie… to be fair to the team.

Mentioned this above but i suspect Caps have 3-5 moves between now and July 4. so the roster will continue to shape so unfair to give a grade or assessment on how other teams and the media will slot us for next season. Pre moves we were rated very poorly. Moves will change things for everyone. And then throw that out because all that matters is what happens on the ice.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I dunno about that. IF Mangie is on pace to score 20 or so, and IF Caps retain 50% (which they can easily do), I could see them getting at least a 2nd. I’d wager even more.

I don’t think it’ll be a first, but I could see a 2nd & a 3rd, as an example.
He'll easily net a 2nd back if he has 20 goals by the deadline and we retain 50%. Potentially a late 1st from a contender depending on how full the market is of speedy scoring wingers.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I’ve said multiple times I’d rather overpay in cap space for a legitimate talent vs filling the line up with reclamation projects.

So you're cool with a build plan that effectively gives you way less cap space than all other teams? That's idiotic, and it doesn't work. The only major stars this team has ever had were draft picks and trades, the majority of those players left the first chance they got, and some dramatically underperformed while they were here because of how thrilled they were to be in DC.

The only real, major free agent signings we've managed were during times we already had the star power and talent to make it palatable. That's not a failure of management. That's just playing the hand you're dealt.

We're not on the Dogshit Hockey Towns list (anymore), but we're nowhere near being a club that attracts top free agents.

Overpaying in NHL free agency is the norm, so we'd have to REALLY overpay to even get in the conversation for some of those guys. It's a great plan for building a Cup contender IF you're really f***ing stupid.

Teams like ours have to primarily build through the draft and trades. And the majority of Caps fans know that, which is why you see so many tank avatars around here and people that applaud (or at least tolerate) the steady, consistent, and occasionally shrewd, crafty approach MacLellan provides.

And even if we had a GM brilliant enough to adopt your moronic philosophy, overpaying still won't get it done every time, and you need WAY more than one or two top-shelf players to contend. Top FAs that have agents with functioning brains will take a couple million in tax leniency, sunshine, nightlife, and Cup contention over the equivalent in cash to join a rebuilding club in a middling location.

You act like you can just decide to buy a better team if you want to, like the NHL doesn't have the most parity-inducing salary cap in all of professional sports, and other teams don't get chances to sour your deals. In other words, you have a child's understanding of how the NHL actually works. Either too much console hockey with GM Mode on Easy or, you know, just regular, weapons-grade ignorance...

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
DeBrusk is a really interesting comp for Mangiapane. Both are smallish wingers drafted in 2015 who have one career 50+ point season that they couldn't replicate. Both played exactly 16:11 per night over the last three seasons, got 2nd unit PP and PK time, and recorded about 4 hits and 2 takeaways per 60. Mangiapane's career 82 game pace is 21-21-42, Debrusk's is 24-23-47.

The big difference is quality of linemates. Over the last three years Mangiapane played almost exclusively with Coleman and Backlund, while DeBrusk was riding shotgun with Marchand and Bergeron/Coyle. I bet if they'd swapped places it would've been Mangiapane outproducing DeBrusk. I'm sure DeBrusk will get more on the open market than Mangiapane, but not sure he deserves it.
Yep. Hence why I compared his 5.8m contract to DeBrusk as an FA. I’m almost certain the Caps would have had to pay at least 5.8m AAV (prob higher) and for a lot longer.

Sure, they’d have kept the 2nd — but that’s assuming DeBrusk even would entertain the Caps.

Mangie was a good move!

He'll easily net a 2nd back if he has 20 goals by the deadline and we retain 50%. Potentially a late 1st from a contender depending on how full the market is of speedy scoring wingers.
Exactly. Even if he’s struggling somewhat (say only 10 goals around the deadline), IF Caps retain 50%, Mangie will get that 2nd back. It could be worse than the Avs 2nd, but if so — not by much.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Me when hearing of this trade:

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad