Confirmed with Link: Washington Capitals have acquired forward Andrew Mangiapane from the Calgary Flames for a second-round pick in the 2025

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I don't hate the deal., but I don't like it. I think he's a fine player. Probably not a 30 goal guy again, but 20, sure.

My issue is simply that he's pretty overpaid for that, by maybe $1.5M to $2M. And I feel like a second round pick, even at the back end of the round, is more than an overpaid 20 goal scorer is worth.

But we'll see. Maybe the injuries really are just a 1 to 2 year setback in production and he reaches his ceiling again. I hope so.

(Oh, and I just gave up on that poster and put him on ignore. I'd suggest others do the same.)

Reactions: M4lk1n71

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
That I disagree with. Half of the first round doesn't even pan out to a 20 goal scorer. People really overvalue picks past the top 10.
You're not really wrong as far as the likelihood of a pick turning into a 20 goal scorer. My opinion was just mainly based on the historical going rate for players ike this. Though I confess that's a "feel" thing, and I didn't do any research to support it.

Reactions: Block

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
This is a $5.8M commitment for a year and one of questionable immediate impact. What could that have done in free agency? They would have needed to attach a lot more term for most but at the moment it sure looks like they're precluded from doing anything else of significance unless they clear more cap first. It doesn't seem likely they're going to immediately go out and use Oshie's space given how MacLellan has characterized it. Perhaps later in the off-season once there's resolution.

In sum between PLD and Mangiapane they've added $9M to the cap and it's unclear that they've upgrade all that substantially. I expected them to target more stability for that amount of coin. Instead they've taken on a lot of risk and seemingly have been pretty impatiently hyperactive.

I get Kuemper had to be done and PLD being the best swing in that instance. Hard to believe this needed to happen now, though. In a week? Sure.
Didn’t upgrade? They got 2 guys for Kuemper and a late 2nd that have combined for 100pts on average the last 3 seasons.

So on average, a 55 and 45 pt player, to add to the offense that was the worst in the league.

And that’s bad?

Why do we assume we could attract a marquee FA right now? Wouldn’t we have to overpay?

Mangiapane is like a DeBrusk. We were all talking about he’d be a good signing. Think we’d get him for 5.8m? Doubt it.

So we got someone. It cost one of our picks for next year. Prob the worst 2nd. So 55+.

This is bad?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Reclamation projects that are 28-year old small wingers doesn't seem like an ideal situation to pounce and preclude what else may have been available in time with patience. He's a lesser talent but better two-way Skinner. Fine. Fair. Good to great value for a second rounder? Who cares really. Still not what I'd consider a needle mover or anything approaching a first principle level player. They're going to have to pay up considerably more to add one. But mainly what this does is eat up cap space and unfortunately that's their bigger asset. Or was.

The 30-goal year seems more like an anomaly. Normally this is about a 20-goal scorer. Maybe there's a bit more with stronger teammates and a more prominent role. But you know who banks on more prominent roles for breakouts? Bad thin teams. Sometimes players just are what they are and it's not like the core is so dominant these days to where these situations can be easily finessed. It puts an awful lot on the coaching staff...

They very well may have more room to spend once Oshie gives them the word later in the off-season. But who knows what opportunities may pass by as they're potentially forced to wait.
This is such a negative stance. And that’s fine. But call it what it is.

I don’t understand why we are so down on this?

Do we really think that GMBM hasn’t been on the line with every single team, and doesn’t know what they all are saying? As a fully seasoned — and sounds well liked (never heard a negative word about him) GM, I think he isn’t working in a vacuum, right?

So as a naysayer, you either think he isn’t doing his job (and knowing what’s out there), or is terrible at reading the tea leaves, or is just a stubborn mule who gets who he wants and ignore the rest of the landscape.

Which one is it?

They traded a late 2nd (when they already have 3 picks before it, prob), for a one yr stop gap winger, one who is a PITA to play against, plays D, and can PK well….oh and who averages 20/25 over the last 3yrs. Oh and is only 28.

So they either they have a good enough year that he plays it out and we see what we have? Or the team is out of it and they deal him for a 2nd.

I mean, he is worth a late 2nd, isn’t he?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I like it.

They improved the team without giving up 6+ years of term to a similar UFA. Gave up a very late 2nd to do it, which isn't terrible. If they make the Playoffs again, great. If they don't? We should be easily get a similar pick back at the deadline with 50% retention.

Reactions: Calicaps

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I like the player, I don't love the contract and what it signals regarding the rest of the off-season. Mangiapane is a fine middle six guy who helps drive play (albeit we've missed his peak years) and can be a sparkplug in the right setting. He's the player that both Calgary and Washington hoped Phillips could actually become (although Mangiapane actually managed to convert from AHL dynamo to sticking in the NHL at a younger age).

The downside is that he carries a $5.8m price tag, and the Caps are now functionally out of cap space for further moves, even with Oshie on LTIR (and would need a significant subtraction if Oshie decides to play). They have $3.75M for McMichael, Malenstyn,a 13th forward, and a 2nd goalie - and that's assuming a 22 man roster. It's quite possible they have to move out more salary just to properly fill the roster (Ethan Bear?), which essentially means all future UFAs or trades this year have to be salary neutral at best. While this isn't the exact team we're going to see on the ice, it's difficult to see how the overall net quality of the team will be improved significantly from what we have now. Maybe Jensen or TvR get moved for a different body, but they aren't going to have the cap space to get a significantly *better* player for those slots.

At least this should help the team play with a bit more pace, and (once again) I do like Mangiapane as a player. I'm just not sure that another middle six guy was really what this team was missing. Even if they couldn't get another true 1st line talent (always a tough ask), someone like Ehlers seems a better way to utilize that same ~$6M in cap space, even if he costs more via trade.

I think this also signals additional moves have to be coming. We've gained 2 forwards and not shipped any out to many bodies no?
Pacioretty (UFA) and Oshie (LTIRment) out. NAK is also a UFA, but that's a different part of the roster and salary cap bracket.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's not bad. It's just...not great. It's serviceable and ultimately that's about all I'd figure it to be. Moderately passable. It seems like they're sort of mailing it in these last few Ovechkin seasons when they should be doing the opposite. They just can't seem to execute the bigger deal, though. We'll see if that changes but I wouldn't count on it. Not in this league. Mainly I go back to leadership and not adding anything like a bedrock player like they need. Everything else is just window dressing. They hope they've added some upside but I don't think they've upgraded enough. Their improvements are going to have to come from Strome, Lapierre, McMichael and Protas as-is. And the coaching staff continuing to work wonders.

More than anything the timing seems suspect on this. A week or two from now if they couldn't close on anything and are left without a chair? Fine. Now? Is this really a high priority target? Set aside questions of value. They may have won the trade but it's still about building a team, not winning every single transaction. Ultimately, particularly in light of the value of cap space, I don't think they come out far enough ahead here. Maybe there's a hush-hush agreement with Oshie and they're assured to have more flexibility. Even still...hard to get being so aggressive for a non-substantial upgrade that would seem unlikely to be more than a stopgap.

The best that can be said about this trade is maintaining cap flexibility a year from now. In theory that could enable them to shift resources toward the blueline. But I'd hazard against looking ahead to next year's UFA defense class. It's very thin. Thinner than this year's already.

Adding a couple second liners I think most would have concluded probably doesn't go far enough to kick them up into league average offensively (definitely not less consistent ones IMO). So that's my immediate take. They've checked some boxes off minimally and that's about it. Only now with some significant questions as to how to piece together and/or restructure the defense and their remaining cap space.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I have no problem with this trade. It's obviously not a barn burner but it makes the team better at a low cost and low risk. For all the handwringing about this being "reclamation project," Mac has been really freaking good at those, so that's cause for optimism. And there's one less Cap killer out there. Other thoughts/guesses based on this deal:
  1. Mac is not expecting that Oshie will play again.
  2. Lenny has made it clear he wants to go back for his sophmore year.
  3. CMM will be traded, maybe tomorrow at the draft.
  4. At least one of Jensen/TVR is on his way out. (hope it's Jensen)

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I mean if you look at it as Mantha <> Mangiapane and Kuznetsov <> PLD, then i'd say we upgraded on both counts. Mantha and Mangiapane are very similar, Mantha is propably better on his best day but then again, Mangiapane cracks 40 points in his bad seasons and Mantha has only cracked 28 points once in his last 3 years.

As for Kuznetsov <> PLD, i hope it's a big upgrade. If it's only a marginal upgrade then we are basically boned for the next 7 years.

Also just for fun, i'd urge you to follow what Jake DeBrusk is going to be making this summer. That's basically Mangiapane's UFA comparable. I'd guess it's right around the same AAV as Mangiapane has but how much term? 5 years? Maybe even 6?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I think it’s when you see what we spent almost 15 mill in cap space on. Lots having some buyers remorse
Ok, I sorta get that. However it is also mostly disingenuous. Really got them for 10m (ish) as Kuemper was financial addition by subtraction.

They STILL have money left. 7.135m. They need a G (Hershey G = 775k…. 6.36m left), and 3F’s (so…. One will be Lapierre at 860k roughly ….5.5m left). So let’s say they have 5.5m to sign 2 F’s.

McMichael and Malenstyn are RFA’s. So what, 3.5m total?

2m left over. And that’s assuming Oshie is playing.

They have plenty of room to move. Especially if salary is going out — which it would have to, as there are 22 skaters (assuming CMM and BM are resigned) as is. Aren’t bringing in another one without sending one out.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Ok, I sorta get that. However it is also mostly disingenuous. Really got them for 10m (ish) as Kuemper was financial addition by subtraction.

They STILL have money left. 7.135m. They need a G (Hershey G = 775k…. 6.36m left), and 3F’s (so…. One will be Lapierre at 860k roughly ….5.5m left). So let’s say they have 5.5m to sign 2 F’s.

McMichael and Malenstyn are RFA’s. So what, 3.5m total?

2m left over. And that’s assuming Oshie is playing.

They have plenty of room to move. Especially if salary is going out — which it would have to, as there are 22 skaters (assuming CMM and BM are resigned) as is. Aren’t bringing in another one without sending one out.
I guess it means we were not paying FA prices. Or what they are projected as.

No one likes having a wallet full of cap space and having nothing left before getting to the store.

That said we almost never sign day 1 FA

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I think there is def some of that. Ensuring they don’t waste space — but also using the space without being cavalier about the future costs attached. PLD was enough for the “future” on the F side.

Mangie (I’m calling him that now) is a “compete now” player. And a decent one. Well filled top 9 with still parts to move.

As was mentioned, CMM and hopefully a D-man will be used to get a better D-man. 6-7m minimum. Minus Oshie? 12-13m.

So let’s see what happens.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Well we’ve done GMBM special trade and now we’ve done Twappy seal of approval trade for the summer.

Whats next. Maybe a Todd seal of approval trade?!

Manigapane maybe isnt what id gone after and would have look at free agency before acquiring him, but we do need ”effective two-way wingers” with having Ovie and Dubois there.

Feels a bit Oshie replacements..

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
This makes me a bit more optimistic about the short-term fit. That said, Calgary fans have been down on him since getting paid. Not an ideal situation there lately to be sure but he didn't step up. Canada also used him on the bumper on their PP I think so the Oshie parallels do start to add up (even if he's a lefty).

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
The downside is that he carries a $5.8m price tag, and the Caps are now functionally out of cap space for further moves, even with Oshie on LTIR (and would need a significant subtraction if Oshie decides to play). They have $3.75M for McMichael, Malenstyn,a 13th forward, and a 2nd goalie - and that's assuming a 22 man roster. It's quite possible they have to move out more salary just to properly fill the roster (Ethan Bear?), which essentially means all future UFAs or trades this year have to be salary neutral at best. While this isn't the exact team we're going to see on the ice, it's difficult to see how the overall net quality of the team will be improved significantly from what we have now. Maybe Jensen or TvR get moved for a different body, but they aren't going to have the cap space to get a significantly *better* player for those slots.
I think your numbers are off here. After this trade I have them in CF at 6.27M with Oshie in the lineup and just over 12M with him on LTIR.

Current Cap Situation.png

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad