Confirmed with Link: Washington Capitals have acquired forward Andrew Mangiapane from the Calgary Flames for a second-round pick in the 2025

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
Don’t get it at all. He’s had one good year and then mediocre ones not worth his 5.8m contract. And he’s only 1 year left to Ufa. Why would a team trying to retool and get younger with a glut of mid/bottom 6 forward spend 2nd round pick on a pending ufa that already peaked?
Because our GM is dog doo doo

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
So in the summer of 2022 when he signed his deal he was projected for 98% WAR. And then his actual WAR for the 2022-23 season was just somewhere around 55%. And for 2023-24 it was around 30%.

It's almost like these analytics aren't very good at being predictive.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
This is a $5.8M commitment for a year and one of questionable immediate impact. What could that have done in free agency? They would have needed to attach a lot more term for most but at the moment it sure looks like they're precluded from doing anything else of significance unless they clear more cap first. It doesn't seem likely they're going to immediately go out and use Oshie's space given how MacLellan has characterized it. Perhaps later in the off-season once there's resolution.

In sum between PLD and Mangiapane they've added $9M to the cap and it's unclear that they've upgrade all that substantially. I expected them to target more stability for that amount of coin. Instead they've taken on a lot of risk and seemingly have been pretty impatiently hyperactive.

I get Kuemper had to be done and PLD being the best swing in that instance. Hard to believe this needed to happen now, though. In a week? Sure.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I'm surprised people dislike this move.

This is from 2 years ago:

View attachment 888336

A lot can happen in two years but I don't really believe he's nearly as defensively deficient as the past two years numbers indicate. He's probably not as good as the chart above says. He's probably somewhere in the middle.

It seems like a good bet. Calgary has been a mess the last two seasons and he seems like a rebound candidate. For a late second round pick, I like it.
It’s not so much the player himself as it is the opportunity cost involved.

Really hard to feel inspired here. Shades of Connor Brown, Max Pacioretty, Curtis Glencross…

They needed to be creative with this space, not the same old keeping their fingers crossed for a bounce back year from a depth winger. Especially at 6 mil.

hb13xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I’m willing to give this player the benefit of the doubt for a year considering what an absolutely gong show Calgary has been. We’ve seen how many players exit there the past few years? Tkachuk, Hanifin, Zadorov, Tanev, Lindholm, Markstrom, Johnny Hockey Matt Phillips (hehe), etc. all gone since they were a solid playoff team a few years back. This guy has always been a pain in the ass to play against and I’d bet he turns his play around quickly after getting out of that shit show.

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
It’s not so much the player himself as it is the opportunity cost involved.

Really hard to feel inspired here. Shades of Connor Brown, Max Pacioretty, Curtis Glencross…

They needed to be creative with this space, not the same old keeping their fingers crossed for a bounce back year from a depth winger. Especially at 6 mil.
It’s the same thing GMBM does every year and 98% of this place thinks now THIS TIME it’ll work lol

• Haha
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad