Confirmed with Link: Walman and a 2nd Round Pick traded to SJ

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
We don't know who these GMs are, or how many. How do you know the comments aren't coming from GMs of teams that Walman included on his 10-team no trade list?

Is Yzerman supposed to kick tires and waste time reaching out to teams where Walman refuses to play?

That tweet gives us no factual information.

the chances of it being teams on the list is lower than it being teams that weren’t and given the fact San Jose wasn’t on the list says that he might not of had a full 10 team list. It’s up to 10 teams and can be less.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Of course not. This is all discussion. I do however lean towards it not being some theory that all the gms know something about Walman that nobody else does.

I'm sure Yzerman would divulge that information to his trade partner as a "need to know". I doubt Yzerman lies to GMs he is trading with. I think it clear he has a good reputation and respect among the league.

the chances of it being teams on the list is lower than it being teams that weren’t and given the fact San Jose wasn’t on the list says that he might not of had a full 10 team list. It’s up to 10 teams and can be less.

Holy word salad. WTF are you trying to say?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'm sure Yzerman would divulge that information to his trade partner as a "need to know". I doubt Yzerman lies to GMs he is trading with. I think it clear he has a good reputation and respect among the league.

I agree with you here but find it hard to believe it was an "off ice issue" theory

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Petry signing does not make Holl sining worse.

Petry came later at August, they didn't know if he is available, when Holl was signed.

This is always annoying, when people try to re-write the history. You live on the damn moment, and everything that happens after does not affect in the past.

If Petry would have been on the team before signing Holl, then it's a different discussion, but you didn't know the future at July 1st.
I remember the timing of the signings so I know what you're saying.

My point was more that bringing Petry made Holl even more useless. I think if Petry was available earlier, Yzerman never signs Holl.

Nah man, there's nothing else to understand. The world is full of simple to understand and easy truths. It's very black and white and in the absence of more information we should jump to conclusions. Stop trying to muddy the conversation with good faith and nuance.

In short, Yzerman sucks and this is his magnum doofus.
I finally have the title of my autobiography.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

There are a minimum of 21 GMs that run teams that aren’t on the maximum list. He also didn’t need to put a single team on the list. It is at least twice as likely that any GM’s team that was contacted isn’t on the list than being on it. So your hand waving that it could be a GM that’s not on the list so we shouldn’t pay attention to this tweet is wrong.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I agree with you here but find it hard to believe it was an "off ice issue" theory

I never said off ice issue. But I am sure Yzerman will disclose any undisclosed hampering injury not bad enough for LTIR.

I never heard about the "vacation" incident until this post, but apparently he pissed off his teammates. Who knows, so I won't speculate.

But the fact is we don't know the credibility of the tweet, how many GMs if true and if the ones who said this was on the "no trade list".

There could be so many layers to this that we may never know. Or it could be as simple as Yzerman for the first time in his GM career was lazy and didn't bother doing his due diligence. Which, to me, is the most unlikely scenario out of all of these "conspiracies".

Yzerman has always been a 3D chess player. All we can do is wait and watch this play out.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
There are a minimum of 21 GMs that run teams that aren’t on the maximum list. He also didn’t need to put a single team on the list. It is at least twice as likely that any GM’s team that was contacted isn’t on the list than being on it. So your hand waving that it could be a GM that’s not on the list so we shouldn’t pay attention to this tweet is wrong.

So you are saying the random and mysterious GM who was supposedly question by some random Twitter user was, in fact, not a GM of a team that is on Walman's no trade list?

Oho okay.

I said how do we know.? you answer with "I know!". Lol

"People usually discover how gullible they are at the end of every rainbow."

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
What is so mad about this trade is that paying to cap dump last seasons 1st LD on a decent contract seems so inexplicable, especially for such a hard bargaining safe-tight GM that most observers are scratching their heads wondering what they've missed, what big move is coming, or all the possible meanings behind 'future considerations'.

Which both illustrates how bad this trade is in isolation, and what high regard most fans, insiders and NHL people hold Yzerman in.

Maybe its the ultimate 3D Chess move - because all trade partners are terrified of getting fleeced everytime they pick up and its Yzerman on the line, he's decided to do a WTF bad trade with an expendable piece (that he hand picked, promoted and renewed no less),so that other GMs feel hopeful again when he picks up the phone....:cool:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So what's the end conclusion here? Did Walman get caught peeing in a drain?

If Stevie wanted to get rid of Jake for whatever reason, that's his prerogative, but I don't understand why the pick was attached. We're gonna miss out on a chance at the next Brady Cleveland.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
I wish it was possible for me to be a fan of this team and not overanalyze everything that happens. I just want a good defense corps is that so much to ask for

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We don't know who these GMs are, or how many. How do you know the comments aren't coming from GMs of teams that Walman included on his 10-team no trade list?

Is Yzerman supposed to kick tires and waste time reaching out to teams where Walman refuses to play?

That tweet gives us no factual information.
Actually, his NTC doesn't matter because Stevie could have waived Walman, and any team interested could have picked him up. Vrana cleared waivers before he was traded. Stevie didn't even bother to put Jake on waivers.

No matter how you look at this, it's a really strange move.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This debate is so funny, when comparing to some European teams etc. - how they are build in Finnish Top League.

Some players are just released, for some reasoning, but because there's no draft picks on the play, all the damn bashing fest about winning or losing a trade or good/bad asset management stays away.

Players come and go. That's what will happen in oncoming free agency.

Our 3-time Champion Tappara has been changing their players by 1/3 of roster per year and never looks back. Liiga-level "walmans" go here and there. Don't have to cry after anybody.

That's what I like what Yzerman is doing. He is continuously suffling the room, and not locking long-term on anyone except surefire sure bets, like Larkin is the first 8-year deal guy. Seider will be next, then I don't know.

But let the man build. He knows what it was on the glory days and he will want that environment back. It will mean no rotten apples. Short-term deal deal to taste the personnel. Then they are locked or not.

And this will continue, until we have 20 guys for the perfect room.

This overblown love for a player like Jake Walman is really NHL fans problem. He is just cattle. And I'm not Jimmy Devellano, even though I wanted to be.

Last edited:

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
I believe sharks will be taking a bad contract that Yzerman hasn’t decided on yet. Sign Lindholm trade Copp. Sign RHD trade Holl. I don’t think it would be the worst thing in the world to try Holl again next year

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Oh Christ - just cause you don’t like him doesn’t mean he’s a bad person…
Dude made a carrear based on hate. Quebecois, Europeans, minorities, etc. He spilled it on television for so many years. I don't care how much he gave for charities or how much loved troopes, anybody who monetize hate is a bad person.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Dude made a carrear based on hate. Quebecois, Europeans, minorities, etc. He spilled it on television for so many years. I don't care how much he gave for charities or how much loved troopes, anybody who monetize hate is a bad person.
Did he kick your dog or wipe his butt on your curtains too?

Reactions: dalem177

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Actually, his NTC doesn't matter because Stevie could have waived Walman, and any team interested could have picked him up. Vrana cleared waivers before he was traded. Stevie didn't even bother to put Jake on waivers.

No matter how you look at this, it's a really strange move.

It's a bit complexing right now, but it might make sense as his masterplan unfolds. We can speculate until our faces turn to dust. I have a few 'theories', but that would make Yzerman out to be a nice guy. And nobody wants to hear that.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
This debate is so funny, when comparing to some European teams etc. - how they are build in Finnish Top League.

Some players are just released, for some reasoning, but because there's no draft picks on the play, all the damn bashing fest about winning or losing a trade or good/bad asset management stays away.

Players come and go. That's what will happen in oncoming free agency.

Our 3-time Champion Tappara has been changing their players by 1/3 of roster per year and never looks back. Liiga-level "walmans" go here and there. Don't have to cry after anybody.

That's what I like what Yzerman is doing. He is continuously suffling the room, and not locking long-term on anyone except surefire sure bets, like Larkin is the first 8-year deal guy. Seider will be next, then I don't know.

But let the man build. He knows what it was on the glory days and he will want that environment back. It will mean no rotten apples. Short-term deal deal to taste the personnel. Then they are locked or not.

And this will continue, until we have 20 guys for the perfect room.

This overblown love for a player like Jake Walman is really NHL fans problem. He is just cattle. And I'm not Jimmy Devellano, even though I wanted to be.
This has nothing to do with love for the player.

Say you don't like your car for whatever reason. You sell it to someone or donate it to some charitable organization. You don't pay someone to take it just because you don't like it anymore.

Cattle has value. Paying someone to take them from you makes you a lousy rancher...

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What's confusing everyone is why Stevie added a 2nd rd pick to get rid of a player that has positive value. It makes no sense.

I loved the griddy, but he was the second softest dman, next to Ghost. He's not built for the playoffs.

I believe sharks will be taking a bad contract that Yzerman hasn’t decided on yet. Sign Lindholm trade Copp. Sign RHD trade Holl. I don’t think it would be the worst thing in the world to try Holl again next year
If that was the case, why not just trade Copp plus the second for a bag of pucks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad