Walking away from Timothy Liljegren is a mistake

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

LegChairGM

Jun 29, 2021
He's due a 1.5m qualifying offer by 5 pm EST today if not he becomes a UFA and Sportsnet is reporting his future on the team is wildly uncertain. I must be missing something here, homegrown 25 year old right shot d with a solid stat line the last three seasons and we let him walk for nothing?

The last two days have lest me scratching my head here, drafting off the board numerous times, once for a player that weighs 135 pounds, trading for the rights to try to sign a 34 year old Tanev for 7 years and now potentially walking from Liljegren? I mean, if you don't have room for Liljegren(you should) do you not at least qualify him and trade him or potentially receive something on an offer sheet?

What gives Treliving?

Here's the quote from Sportsnet:

"They still hold negotiating rights to another one, Timothy Liljegren — but his future is wildly uncertain as a restricted free agent with arbitration rights.

Liljegren, 25, is due a $1.5 million qualifying offer by Sunday at 5 p.m. ET. No offer, and Liljegren becomes unrestricted. If Treliving retains Liljegren's rights, he could trade the player or be forced to give him a raise in arbitration."

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
He's due a 1.5m qualifying offer by 5 pm EST today if not he becomes a UFA and Sportsnet is reporting his future on the team is wildly uncertain. I must be missing something here, homegrown 25 year old right shot d with a solid stat line the last three seasons and we let him walk for nothing?

The last two days have lest me scratching my head here, drafting off the board numerous times, once for a player that weighs 135 pounds, trading for the rights to try to sign a 34 year old Tanev for 7 years and now potentially walking from Liljegren? I mean, if you don't have room for Liljegren(you should) do you not at least qualify him and trade him or potentially receive something on an offer sheet?

What gives Treliving?

Here's the quote from Sportsnet:

"They still hold negotiating rights to another one, Timothy Liljegren — but his future is wildly uncertain as a restricted free agent with arbitration rights.

Liljegren, 25, is due a $1.5 million qualifying offer by Sunday at 5 p.m. ET. No offer, and Liljegren becomes unrestricted. If Treliving retains Liljegren's rights, he could trade the player or be forced to give him a raise in arbitration."

Qualying him and trading him makes the most sense. He’s still got a future in the NHL as a mobile right shot D but the leafs have apparently given up on him despite his positive progression.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
They probably sign him and trade him.

They've probably been looking for the best deal they can get.

They don't seem to high on him now.

I don't mind Lilly. I'd be fine giving him another shot but either way they need to get something for him. Don't just let him walk.

Reactions: arso40

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I don't see how it makes sense for his agent to negotiate hard enough to the point of leaving him unqualified. He's not getting $1.4M+ as a UFA.

Reactions: Buds17

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
I don't see how it makes sense for his agent to negotiate hard enough to the point of leaving him unqualified. He's not getting $1.4M+ as a UFA.
He would easily get more than 1.4 m as a UFA.

25 year old right shot D who can skate - he's had his ups and downs, but on the open market, he's an attractive piece. He'd probably get something like 2.5m x 4 if he were unrestricted.

LegChairGM

Jun 29, 2021
I think he's easily getting $2.75m x 4 as a UFA to be honest. 25 year old mobile right shot defensemen that can give you 30 points on a full season aren't that easy to find. Only knock against him is he's somewhat injury prone(55gp).

Edit: When I created this post IceColdBear hadn't posted yet, we think alike apparently. Not trying to steal his opinion here.

Last edited:

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
He would easily get more than 1.4 m as a UFA.

25 year old right shot D who can skate - he's had his ups and downs, but on the open market, he's an attractive piece. He'd probably get something like 2.5m x 4 if he were unrestricted.
He can skate, like every other nhl player can skate. But he's not a good skater by nhl standards. To my eyes he's an average or worse skater compared to his peers.

Last edited:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Its the only move. Qualifying him will lead to arb and then a much bigger amount for a player whos at best a bottom pairing D that cant be trusted in the post season. ENOUGH ALREADY.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think he's easily getting $2.75m x 4 as a UFA to be honest. 25 year old mobile right shot defensemen that can give you 30 points on a full season aren't that easy to find. Only knock against him is he's somewhat injury prone(55gp).

Edit: When I created this post IceColdBear hadn't posted yet, we think alike apparently. Not trying to steal his opinion here.
Only the Leaf are stipid enough to do that…..

He can skate, like every other nhl player can skate. But he's not a good skater by nhl standards. To my eyes he's an average or worse skater compared to his peers.
Swedish Elite League fodder, big ice, no contact, perfect landing spot……

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
They will either qualify him or trade this afternoon. In the world of negotiations 5 pm is a long way off
Flip him to Seattle for the other Tanev, that ought to knock off few dollar off Chris’ deal……..

Its the only move. Qualifying him will lead to arb and then a much bigger amount for a player whos at best a bottom pairing D that cant be trusted in the post season. ENOUGH ALREADY.
They can walk away from the arbitrator’s decision can they not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad