W Beckett Sennecke - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2024, 3rd, ANA)

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
The issue is a couple of the teams behind Anaheim were high on him too….

If I remember correctly columbus/Montreal and Utah had him high on their lists and prob would have taken him.
Montreal is noted that they likely would've taken Buuim or Beckett, but they also had a deal in place (likely with winnipeg or carolina) for a forward if demidov was gone. That tells me they we're likely to trade some D and then draft a D if that was too happen. So i don't think Beckett was there target

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Possibly, but again we don’t really know and there was enough smoke that columbus/Montreal liked sennecke that it made the idea of trading down not very appealing
I didn’t follow the whole conversation so I didn’t know it originated from Anaheim moving down to draft Sennecke at 5.

I wouldn’t have traded down either. The risk of losing the guy you want usually isn’t worth the return anyway

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
Not sure I see Terry being moved at all.
We will have to see how Terry plays this year. Will he return to his 2021-22 form when he was the straw that stirred the drink for the Ducks in the O-zone, or will he remain a player auditioning for Disney On Ice with his perimeter skating and declining point totals after he signed his 7-year contract? :dunno:

After this season his deal turns into a modified NTC but I don't know the specifics.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
We will have to see how Terry plays this year. Will he return to his 2021-22 form when he was the straw that stirred the drink for the Ducks in the O-zone, or will he remain a player auditioning for Disney On Ice with his perimeter skating and declining point totals after he signed his 7-year contract? :dunno:

After this season his deal turns into a modified NTC but I don't know the specifics.
Understood.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I didn’t follow the whole conversation so I didn’t know it originated from Anaheim moving down to draft Sennecke at 5.

I wouldn’t have traded down either. The risk of losing the guy you want usually isn’t worth the return anyway

If they could have gotten an additional player who filled a need then it would have made some sense. But in the past two drafts they've had a dozen picks in the top 3 rounds, at some point tacking on additional 2nds becomes diminishing returns.

Or if they'd simply decided they didn't like anyone all that much, but the week before the draft they said they had narrowed the choices to two guys they liked best so that was clearly not the case.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
If they could have gotten an additional player who filled a need then it would have made some sense. But in the past two drafts they've had a dozen picks in the top 3 rounds, at some point tacking on additional 2nds becomes diminishing returns.

Or if they'd simply decided they didn't like anyone all that much, but the week before the draft they said they had narrowed the choices to two guys they liked best so that was clearly not the case.
From the post selection interview it was clear that Sennecke was their first and only choice. Couldn’t agree more on the bolded as well

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
The whole idea that a team "should have just traded back, got an extra pick and taken their guy later" is so dumb. Don't you think that if a team was sure they could do get their guy later, and had a willing trade oartner, they would do just that...?

• Haha
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
The whole idea that a team "should have just traded back, got an extra pick and taken their guy later" is so dumb. Don't you think that if a team was sure they could do get their guy later, and had a willing trade oartner, they would do just that...?
Likely Utah would've targetted him, CBJ wasn't going to make a trade because it doesn't make sense, Montreal wanted demidov and would've just dared them to take him and Utah wanted one of the big wingers

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
For what it's worth, Columbus was taking Lindstrom if he was on the board. Their first behind the battle episode of the season came out about the draft and they asked each other right before the Ducks picked

"What if they take our guy?"

They take Sennecke and it cuts back to them saying

"We got our guy"

I do think Columbus was interested in Sennecke though, I mean they took him to dinner.

Oct 18, 2011
For what it's worth, Columbus was taking Lindstrom if he was on the board. Their first behind the battle episode of the season came out about the draft and they asked each other right before the Ducks picked

"We got our guy"

I do think Columbus was interested in Sennecke though, I mean they took him to dinner.
Lindstrom is who I wanted. We don't have access to medicals but gotta like the Jackets building down the middle with him and Fantilli

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Likely Utah would've targetted him, CBJ wasn't going to make a trade because it doesn't make sense, Montreal wanted demidov and would've just dared them to take him and Utah wanted one of the big wingers

I don’t think Montreal was ever concerned about Anaheim taking Demidov nor should they have been…. Anaheim just doesn’t take Russians in Russia high in draft. The biggest concern was prob Anaheim trading the pick to a team that would take Demidov

There was enough noise around other teams liking sennecke that Anaheim just needed to take the guy they wanted

"We got our guy"

I thought there was potential of Chicago taking lindstrom…. Then I woulda been curious to see who columbus took.

Say draft went

Celebrini
Lindstrom
Levshunov

Columbus up and has to choose between Demidov, sennecke, iginla etc

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I don’t think Montreal was ever concerned about Anaheim taking Demidov nor should they have been…. Anaheim just doesn’t take Russians in Russia high in draft. The biggest concern was prob Anaheim trading the pick to a team that would take Demidov

There was enough noise around other teams liking sennecke that Anaheim just needed to take the guy they wanted

I thought there was potential of Chicago taking lindstrom…. Then I woulda been curious to see who columbus took.

Say draft went

Celebrini
Lindstrom
Levshunov

I think we would've taken Sennecke or even potentially have made the pending deal with Carolina that was talked about (Necas)

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

Say draft went

Celebrini
Lindstrom
Levshunov

Columbus also had some potential deals in place to move down if Lindstrom was gone. Both Chicago and Carolina that we know of, and possibly others as well. The only three players Columbus took out were Lindstrom, Sennecke, and Iginla.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Columbus also had some potential deals in place to move down if Lindstrom was gone. Both Chicago and Carolina that we know of, and possibly others as well. The only three players Columbus took out were Lindstrom, Sennecke, and Iginla.
Fair that’s more teams to move into the 4 to take sennecke…. So I think Anaheim couldn’t really risk moving down even to 5.

As a fan obviously I move to 5, and if sennecke is gone(I prob wouldn’t have taken sennecke to 6+ anyway) I woulda been very happy to get Buium

But if sennecke was the guy we liked no reason to risk it

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Mtl definitely would draft Demidov and Jackets definitely would draft Lindstrom. So the only reasonable trade could be with mtl, because other team would change cards. And even then if I think his pick was made too early, its more important to draft your guy. Other team could make trade up. If it's not Mtl other team after could draft him.
Its a job for scouts. They should find right player and gm is picking him. If scouts wrong then fire them.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
He'll miss the first couple weeks of the OHL season, it's not that big of a deal. Hopefully it heals fine.
No he won't, the ANA media person just had the info wrong. 6-8 weeks is the full recovery time but they tweeted it like it was 6-8 weeks from this week. It was 6-8 weeks from when it happened, which was 6 weeks ago. He got the boot off last week and he's starting to skate tomorrow

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
No he won't, the ANA media person just had the info wrong. 6-8 weeks is the full recovery time but they tweeted it like it was 6-8 weeks from this week. It was 6-8 weeks from when it happened, which was 6 weeks ago. He got the boot off last week and he's starting to skate tomorrow
This would be awesome news, is it confirmed somewhere?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad