W Beckett Sennecke - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2024, 3rd, ANA)

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The only way the Sennecke pick makes sense is if he progresses much more than a normal top pick over the next 3-4 years, both physically and skill wise.

He is not a guy who is going to be coming into the league and competing for the Calder in the next two years.
He is a project pick. In 3-4 years he will 100% be one of the best from this draft unless he deals with injuries (knock on wood)

Is it a reach at 3?

Yeah I think so but the problem is too many people on here think just cause they go 2/3/4/5 that they’re automatically going to play for their team this coming season and with sennecke- he’s good now don’t get me wrong- but in 2 years he will be so much better and has a lot of tools that will make him successful at the NHL level. Also a great- hard working kid.

Besides the ducks aren’t competing anytime soon- they have a loaded pool and in 3-4 years they’ll start to be a playoff team again- and that’s when sennecke should be making the jump to the nhl starting his ELC(contract doesn’t start until you play a certain amount of nhl/ahl games I believe and because of CHL/NHL agreement he can’t play in the AHL for 2 more seasons.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Uh oh, now you’ve all done it…. Leo is here

IMG_3824.gif

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I really like his profile. I think we need to respect Martin Madden. He is very good at drafting.

I think, he can be the most impactfull forward with Celebrini, Demidov and Iginla in this year draft.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
So he’s a potential nice compliment piece?

Anaheim has good young centers in zegras carlsson, mctavish and gauthier we need compliments to them.

After watching more of sennecke and seeing him at prospect camp, I’ve warmed up to him more(Buium is the guy I wanted, well levshunov but I figured he wouldn’t be there at 3).

Is it a gamble pick for sure but there is obvious potential in sennecke…. And a ton of room to add muscle/mass to his frame. Would be interesting to see who else we were discussing

Anaheim was never taking a Russian, for better or worse we don’t use high picks on Russians…. I imagine buium was pretty intriguing for us, but LHD we are very deep on.

Hmmm... I do wonder if Verbeek was thinking of an "elite, complementary winger" if Lev wasn't available. Sennecke didn't break out until he was paired with Calum.

Anaheim's 2023, 2nd round pick, F Nico Myatovic, is a prospect of similar stature to Sennecke. Nico is 6'3 and 187 lbs. Madden described Myatovic as an "elite complementary winger" for the top-6 centers. Anaheim has three top-6 centers in Zegras, McTavish, and Carlsson.

I think there's a little more there for Sennecke despite the very small sample at the end of the season. Brad Allen from Hockey Prospecting citied that a forward prospect who lacks top end goal scoring was a red flag, but that goal scoring did turn on later into the season.

Sennecke
SeasonGamesGAPtsPPG+/-G/GP
D+0
63​
27​
41​
68​
1.08​
33​
0.43​
Oct-Jan
42​
15​
24​
39​
0.93​
16​
0.36​
Feb-Mar
21​
12​
17​
29​
1.38​
17​
0.57​
Playoffs
16​
10​
12​
22​
1.38​
9​
0.63​

Still, Lindstrom's goal scoring was better than Sennecke, but maybe the Anaheim organization wants to avoid the health concerns of Lindstrom's back.

As for Buium being a possibility at #3OA, but Anaheim was deep at LHD to pick Buium doesn't make sense. I say that because the Ducks then drafted LD Solberg later in round 1, LD Tarin Smith in round 3, and LD Uljanskis in the 7th round.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Hmmm... I do wonder if Verbeek was thinking of an "elite, complementary winger" if Lev wasn't available. Sennecke didn't break out until he was paired with Calum.

Anaheim's 2023, 2nd round pick, F Nico Myatovic, is a prospect of similar stature to Sennecke. Nico is 6'3 and 187 lbs. Madden described Myatovic as an "elite complementary winger" for the top-6 centers. Anaheim has three top-6 centers in Zegras, McTavish, and Carlsson.

I think there's a little more there for Sennecke despite the very small sample at the end of the season. Brad Allen from Hockey Prospecting citied that a forward prospect who lacks top end goal scoring was a red flag, but that goal scoring did turn on later into the season.

Sennecke
SeasonGamesGAPtsPPG+/-G/GP
D+0
63​
27​
41​
68​
1.08​
33​
0.43​
Oct-Jan
42​
15​
24​
39​
0.93​
16​
0.36​
Feb-Mar
21​
12​
17​
29​
1.38​
17​
0.57​
Playoffs
16​
10​
12​
22​
1.38​
9​
0.63​

Still, Lindstrom's goal scoring was better than Sennecke, but maybe the Anaheim organization wants to avoid the health concerns of Lindstrom's back.

As for Buium being a possibility at #3OA, but Anaheim was deep at LHD to pick Buium doesn't make sense. I say that because the Ducks then drafted LD Solberg later in round 1, LD Tarin Smith in round 3, and LD Uljanskis in the 7th round.
I didn’t research any lhd going into the draft really(outside of guys at potential 3 spot)… go figure we took 3 lol

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

"#20 Beckett Sennecke, RW (Anaheim Ducks): Sennecke was hungry off the hop, showing good speed and landing a couple of big hits in his first two shifts. He then helped set up Tij Iginla’s first goal before his physical play, which led to another one on the next shift. Sennecke then scored the 6-2 goal on the power play to open the third on as good of a shot as you’ll find. Sennecke has not only grown physically over the past year, but he also just thinks the game at a much higher level than he did early on. Today, it felt like he just wanted to knock down anyone who came near him, and he then was good enough to create damage on the scoresheet."

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

"#20 Beckett Sennecke, RW (Anaheim Ducks): Sennecke was hungry off the hop, showing good speed and landing a couple of big hits in his first two shifts. He then helped set up Tij Iginla’s first goal before his physical play, which led to another one on the next shift. Sennecke then scored the 6-2 goal on the power play to open the third on as good of a shot as you’ll find. Sennecke has not only grown physically over the past year, but he also just thinks the game at a much higher level than he did early on. Today, it felt like he just wanted to knock down anyone who came near him, and he then was good enough to create damage on the scoresheet."

Certain Montreal fans

7F822884-841A-4061-9165-8A89E83F23CF.gif

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I didn’t research any lhd going into the draft really(outside of guys at potential 3 spot)… go figure we took 3 lol

The only LD I was thinking of drafting was Dickinson if Lev was already off the board and if the Ducks were set on drafting a defensive defenseman. If Lev was taken before us, then I was thinking F Lindstrom ahead of LD Dickinson. Sennecke had too small a sample for me to justify at #3 b/c from watching scouting videos, I didn't know if it was Calum that ignited Sennecke's offense or Sennecke's mind finally clicking with his outsized body. Anyhow, outside of Dickinson and Solberg, I didn't pay attention to any other LD's either.

As for drafting 3 LD's and no RD's, that befuddled me that there weren't any RD's available for the Ducks at those respective spots. Hmmm... I'll see which RD's were available as certain picks to help pass over some time.
  • At 35th overall (Rd 2), the Ducks took C/LW Pettersson. 2-way RD Badinka went 34th and shutdown RD Elick (NCAA) went 36th. But our scouts were all in on Pettersson. No argument there from me as Pettersson's upside is much higher than just a shutdown RD in Elick.
  • At 66th overall (Rd 3, Thrun pick) and 68th overall (Rd 3), we drafted C Massé and C Procyszyn (OHL), respectively. I understand drafting Massé at 66th, but the Ducks could have doubled up on fallen first round talent in RD Mews. RD Mews was still available and got drafted at #74 OA. Mews would have been a great draft and stash prospect for trade capital or maybe depth as an OFD trying to develop defense.
  • At 100th overall (Rd 4), Anaheim drafted 5'10 and 154 lbs LW/C Blais (QMJHL) - a Nov birth date. Finnish 6'2 shutdown RD Soini was still on the board. Soini moved up into the U20s, 2nd men's Finnish tier (Mestis), and top men's Finnish tier (Liiga) in his D+0 season. He would have been a great draft and stash candidate, especially since he's a European draft pick. irrc, European draft picks have a longer term to be signed. CapWages has his "must sign by" date on Jun 1, 2028. CHL prospects have a two-year window to be signed.
This draft was an odd one compared to the previous two Verbeek drafts such that we were everywhere on talent and height. Madden also said that they didn't care if a player had skating issues as they can figure that out over time, but were looking for talent. We had chances to draft at least one RD in his draft, but didn't. We'll probably be picking in the top-10 of the 2025 draft and that's where we'll grab a more talented RD for the future.

Reactions: Beckett
Oct 18, 2011

So a skilled very smart player is now realizing he is big enough to physically bully people. That's an interesting mix of ability

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So a skilled very smart player is now realizing he is big enough to physically bully people. That's an interesting mix of ability
He's still got a ton of filling out to do. He will be much stronger in 3-4 years. I also think that adding strength will not be for him to bully people a la Tkachuk, but more to hold off checks so he can hold onto the puck long enough to make plays, and maintain scoring positions near the net, among many things.

I love this guy, but think that ANA took him too early. If i was them I would've traded back a few spots if they were really intent on taking him, and picked up another 2nd, or maybe 1st in a later year.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He's still got a ton of filling out to do. He will be much stronger in 3-4 years. I also think that adding strength will not be for him to bully people a la Tkachuk, but more to hold off checks so he can hold onto the puck long enough to make plays, and maintain scoring positions near the net, among many things.

I love this guy, but think that ANA took him too early. If i was them I would've traded back a few spots if they were really intent on taking him, and picked up another 2nd, or maybe 1st in a later year.

The issue is a couple of the teams behind Anaheim were high on him too….

If I remember correctly columbus/Montreal and Utah had him high on their lists and prob would have taken him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Maybe easier said than done, I think the NFL Draft makes moving around seem more viable than it is in the NHL. There were a few teams trying to trade into the #4 spot, but the rumored offers were Chicago's 2025 1st or Philly packaging #12, #32, and other assets.

And then trading back you risk losing out on the guy. Allegedly Anaheim really liked Erik Karlsson in 2008 and thought they could trade back from #12 to #17 and still get him. But Ottawa traded up from #18 to snipe him. In trading down, Anaheim added a couple of 2nds who didn't pan out. In hindsight they would have been better off taking Karlsson and having the perception that they took him too early.

I'm sure Anaheim kicked the tires but some extra 2nds isn't worth the risk of missing out on your guy. As much as I enjoy the NHL Draft, I think we as fans overvalue a 2nd round pick. Boston offered #5 and #37 to Washington for #4 in 2006, but the Caps declined since they didn't want to miss out on Nicklas Backstrom.

Edit: Another one that came to mind was that Vancouver offered to flip #5 for #6+pick at the 2017 Draft. Vegas considered it but surmised that Vancouver wasn't taking Cody Glass, so they turned it down. Vancouver couldn't trade down any further since it was rumored that the Rangers would take Elias Pettersson at #7. So they kept it simple and just took Pettersson at #5 while people like me thought they took him too early.

When Columbus unexpectedly took Pierre-Luc Dubois #3 in 2016, there was a potential three way swap on the table where Columbus would have dropped to #4 (and still gotten PLD) while adding some asset. But Edmonton got cold feet about moving down from #4 to #6. Columbus couldn't risk trading down further since it was rumored Montreal was trying to move up to #5 for Dubois.

Last edited:

SmokeyDuck

Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA

We traded back when we wanted to draft Erik Karlsson and ended up with Gardiner. I think since then we just pick whoever we want.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We traded back when we wanted to draft Erik Karlsson and ended up with Gardiner. I think since then we just pick whoever we want.
Pretty much...

Its easy to sit here and say we should have traded back, but then you potentially miss the guy you actually want.

Karlsson over Gardnir that year would be a huge difference in the franchise.

Oct 18, 2011

i agree he was a reach but other teams were going to pick him so the chance to trade back and get him apparently wasnt realistic

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
His skillset and playstyle is perfect for what Anaheim is doing he joins the young core of Carlsson McTavish and Gauthier they have size skill and two way ability also Sennecke could be the Terry replacement

Kiirin

Apr 2, 2023
The issue is a couple of the teams behind Anaheim were high on him too….

If I remember correctly columbus/Montreal and Utah had him high on their lists and prob would have taken him.
I can't speak for Columbus but Montreal definitely wouldn't have picked him over Demidov even if Sennecke was available.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I can't speak for Columbus but Montreal definitely wouldn't have picked him over Demidov even if Sennecke was available.

Chances are if we traded down the team moving up was grabbing Demidov/lindstrom… example

Celebrini
Levshunov
Demidov
Lindstorm
-who is Montreal picking then?

Or
Celebrini
Lecshunov
Lindstorm
-who is columbus taking?

It was prob deemed to risky from our mangement, and we got screwed before trying to do that. Hence why we didn’t trade down for hampus lindholm and we didn’t for sennecke

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Sennecke still has to fill out, he's obviously a late bloomer so you're talking about probably one year, maybe two, before he joins the NHL. I think he has the hockey sense to adapt around his current dangle-everyone junior playstyle, but that will take time. He's unfortunately just slightly too young to play in the AHL in his D+2.
Sennecke definitely needs to fill out a bit but with kids these days you never really know. I wouldn’t be surprise if he made the jump in his D+2 if he keep progressing like he did over the last 6 months.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a similar route than Huberdeau had and make the jump quicker than expected and be successful early on

Chances are if we traded down the team moving up was grabbing Demidov/lindstrom… example

Celebrini
Levshunov
Demidov
Lindstorm
-who is Montreal picking then?

Or
Celebrini
Lecshunov
Lindstorm
-who is columbus taking?

It was prob deemed to risky from our mangement, and we got screwed before trying to do that. Hence why we didn’t trade down for hampus lindholm and we didn’t for sennecke
In the first scenario, I think Havs take Sennecke.

In the second scenario, in the odd chance Columbus take Buium or another D and Habs have to decide between Sennecke and Demidov they still take Demidov. They really, really like the player

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Sennecke definitely needs to fill out a bit but with kids these days you never really know. I wouldn’t be surprise if he made the jump in his D+2 if he keep progressing like he did over the last 6 months.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he has a similar route than Huberdeau had and make the jump quicker than expected and be successful early on

In the first scenario, I think Havs take Sennecke.

In the second scenario, in the odd chance Columbus take Buium or another D and Habs have to decide between Sennecke and Demidov they still take Demidov. They really, really like the player
Possibly, but again we don’t really know and there was enough smoke that columbus/Montreal liked sennecke that it made the idea of trading down not very appealing

Reactions: rahad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad