W Beckett Sennecke - Oshawa Generals, OHL (2024, 3rd, ANA)

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Ah, i see. Your opinion of Sennecke is biaised because of Kotkaniemi. They’re not the same type of player, at all.
“Based of Kotkaniemi” in that they are similar, imo? Yes, absolutely. They are both big, rangy, slowish players who can get creative with the puck and have limited IQ, aside from that. They’re both weak and uncoordinated with balance issues. I’d like to hear you try to explain how they aren’t similar without the use of revisionist history because Kotkaniemi has disappointed.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
he doesn't strike me as slow. He'll need a few years to physically mature though, major lack of strength but nice hands. I think he's the Habs pick because I assume Demidov falling is a pipe dream and while I haven't seen any WHL games in a couple years, if Lindstrom is hyped as a possible Lindros then it seems unlikely he would make it to 5th OA.
The way I read the Lindros comparison was as stylistic only, not upside. If that were the case, he’d be the consensus first overall. I don’t know if I agree, necessarily, but I can see what the author was getting at.

Imo, a better comparison for Lindstrom is that he plays kind of like Todd Bertuzzi in the offensive zone. Not exactly though because his stick handling and hands are more of a standout attribute for him.

He’s a very unique player though because his hands and stick handling are exceptional, as is his ability to weave through traffic and dirty areas as a result of that and his frame and puck protection abilities and speed.

You could describe him as an elusive player too, especially in the neutral zone - he excels at zone entries and getting the puck to dangerous areas once in the offensive zone. He’s one of those “can stick handle in a phone booth” players. Combine that with his speed, frame, puck skills, and physicality, and I’m sure you can understand the appeal.

He also works hard defensively, is agressive in pursuit of the puck and wins board battles, using his frame and reach effectively. Really strong on his skates driving to the net and in the corners. He’s also really good in the dot. High compete and work ethic.

It seems like a lot of posters here, especially Habs fans, haven’t watched him and are skipping over him due to the injury rumours in favour of the flashiness of Demidov.

He plays a pro style game probably more so than any player in this draft, aside from Celebrini. That is in stark contrast to guys like Demidov, and especially Sennecke. He basically plays like how you’d hope Sennecke can one day - he’s already there. His shot is lethal too, again in contrast to Sennecke. I’d pick Lindstrom over any forward other than Celebrini in this draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
What? Literally all of those skill assessments are different from what I have seen from this player. I don’t think he’s a future center, but he is very involved defensively and IQ is his best trait.

He plays a child's game and it is really hard to determine where his IQ is at until he tries to play with more structure. He is very poor defensively from what I have seen but that is something that can be fixed as long as his attitude is fine. If I was his coach I'd kick his ass (not literally of course, he is a child lol) for taking looping, lazy routes and for his poor body language at times.

Sennecke just seems very immature in many ways but there is no denying his puck skill and his new found size. Super interesting but risky prospect.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
he doesn't strike me as slow. He'll need a few years to physically mature though, major lack of strength but nice hands. I think he's the Habs pick because I assume Demidov falling is a pipe dream and while I haven't seen any WHL games in a couple years, if Lindstrom is hyped as a possible Lindros then it seems unlikely he would make it to 5th OA.

I could see Hughes passing on Demidov if he falls to us which is possible. Not having any control over him at all for his D+1 season and the looming threat of a team like CSKA with their ties to a tyrannical lunatic and hockey nut in Putin potentially flexing and signing him again. Not having any say in his rehabilitation from a serious knee injury as well will be a major flag for Hughes and others. Just seems like a Michkov lite situation that he typically avoids.

The Lindsrom/Lindros comparisons are laughable and can be entirely dismissed. I suspect we end up with either Lindstrom or Iginla with Iginla being my preference.

Agreed that Sennecke does not look slow although his first 3-5 steps need to get better, probably because he is very weak and desperately needs to fill out.

Reactions: Naslund

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I can see why folks see a young Kotkaniemi at first glance of Sennecke. Same super lanky build, seems to be teetering about. But one of the actually remarkable things about Sennecke is how often he doesn't fall over and actually manages to keep a play going despite being thrown off balance and despite being understrength. Sennecke stays on his feet and restores balance. Meanwhile Kotkaniemi falls over completely, even now after adding NHL strength. Similar frames but these two players do not have a similar balance issue.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I can see why folks see a young Kotkaniemi at first glance of Sennecke. Same super lanky build, seems to be teetering about. But one of the actually remarkable things about Sennecke is how often he doesn't fall over and actually manages to keep a play going despite being thrown off balance and despite being understrength. Sennecke stays on his feet and restores balance. Meanwhile Kotkaniemi falls over completely, even now after adding NHL strength. Similar frames but these two players do not have a similar balance issue.

Nah, there's no real comparison to be made there at all.

This is just a Habs fan who heard they might take Sennecke, it's not the prospect he likes, so he's on a player assassination trail as if his opinion on a message board changes how this guy is perceived by NHL teams.

The hype is real, NHL teams love him, he may go as high as 5, he may still go in the teens, that's how wide open the draft is.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
yeah, no offence, i see zero similarities in Sennecke vs Kotkaniemi in terms of skill set, mental processing and style of play.

I see alot of Getzlaf esque ability in Sennecke- - big smooth skater that's slippery and skilled. He doesn't create and distribute like getzlaf, but i'd say attacks and has potential for more goal scoring ability. But similiar player in terms of process- puck skills and ability to beat guys 1 on 1 with high end skill.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Nah, there's no real comparison to be made there at all.

This is just a Habs fan who heard they might take Sennecke, it's not the prospect he likes, so he's on a player assassination trail as if his opinion on a message board changes how this guy is perceived by NHL teams.

The hype is real, NHL teams love him, he may go as high as 5, he may still go in the teens, that's how wide open the draft is.
And you’re just a Habs fan who likes the player and is angry that someone has a different opinion of him than you. I said there are similarities, not that they’re the exact same player. Thats one thing I’ve never got about this place - this place is supposedly here for discussion, but a lot of people only want to read opinions in line with what they’ve already decided and respond with passive aggressiveness, if not outright vitriol to anything that doesn’t fall in line with that. It’s a juvenile mindset.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
yeah, no offence, i see zero similarities in Sennecke vs Kotkaniemi in terms of skill set, mental processing and style of play.

I see alot of Getzlaf esque ability in Sennecke- - big smooth skater that's slippery and skilled. He doesn't create and distribute like getzlaf, but i'd say attacks and has potential for more goal scoring ability. But similiar player in terms of process- puck skills and ability to beat guys 1 on 1 with high end skill.
People are only saying this because KK didn’t pan out. Go back and read all the raving about him from a few years ago. There were pro scouts that compared him to Malkin and Kopitar.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
People are only saying this because KK didn’t pan out. Go back and read all the raving about him from a few years ago. There were pro scouts that compared him to Malkin and Kopitar.
I liked kotkaniemi as well. But not nearly in that light. Thought he'd be a 9th-15th ov pick with 2C upside

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think Drake Batherson is by far his best comparable as far as style and potential.

Both guys were small at the time of their OHL/QMJHL drafts but had a major growth spurt over the coming years.

Kept the skill and smarts but became a lot more effective because of a new 6'3 frame, even if it took some time to get used to and figure out how to weaponize it.

Both have incredible hands, excellent creativity and above-average shots, but can get a too fancy at times and challenge players 1-on-1 too much.

And obviously they both can neglect the defensive side of the game in favour of offense, which makes them a better fit at wing than center.

Sennecke is ahead at the same age and has much better edgework so his upside may be higher, but I get reminded so much of Batherson watching him play.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
And you’re just a Habs fan who likes the player and is angry that someone has a different opinion of him than you. I said there are similarities, not that they’re the exact same player. Thats one thing I’ve never got about this place - this place is supposedly here for discussion, but a lot of people only want to read opinions in line with what they’ve already decided and respond with passive aggressiveness, if not outright vitriol to anything that doesn’t fall in line with that. It’s a juvenile mindset.

When you say he has bad skating and bad IQ and compares to Kotkaniemi, it's just not a differing opinion it's a gross mischaracterization of the player.

Anton Silayev is small, reminds me of Marc Andre Berberon, and can't skate for his size. Discuss.

Reactions: viceroy

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
When you say he has bad skating and bad IQ and compares to Kotkaniemi, it's just not a differing opinion it's a gross mischaracterization of the player.

Anton Silayev is small, reminds me of Marc Andre Berberon, and can't skate for his size. Discuss.
I said he’s slow and has balance issues, and is weak. All those things are true. Didn’t say anything about technical skating, although he’s certainly not anything special there either. And I said his IQ is questionable and lacking in some respects, I didn’t simply say “bad IQ”.

Your inability to comprehend what you’re reading, and inability to understand nuance is a you problem, and has nothing to do with me.

The only “gross mischaracterization” here is the way you tried to spin someone else’s posts to suit your own agenda. But that’s par for the course on here, unfortunately.

Your bit about Silayev/M-A Bergeron is trolling, and not worth responding to.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Other than the not actually slow and not actually having balance issues, sure. Fine description.
Thats your opinion. Cool, I’m not trying to change it. At least I’m not on here whining about other people’s opinions though like a certain poster.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Beckett Sennecke is not slow. He did very well at the prospect skating combine. All these haters on Sennecke and Demidov for being slow need to realize that scouts view their skating as above average. Sennecke will be great for the Habs like Demidov will be great for the Hawks

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
That's not an opinion, he's just not slow.
Well, he’s definitely not fast or even close to it by junior standards. What does that mean by NHL standards? Find a scout out there that called him fast. These guys refrain from saying negative things about players if they can, so you need to read between the lines a bit. Or just watch him - he’s average at best by junior standards. Again, what does that mean?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well, he’s definitely not fast or even close to it by junior standards. What does that mean by NHL standards? Find a scout out there that called him fast. These guys refrain from saying negative things about players if they can, so you need to read between the lines a bit. Or just watch him - he’s average at best by junior standards. Again, what does that mean?

I think he's deceptively fast. Three steps and he's around junior defenders. One of the fastest few players at the OHL skills competition as well.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I could see Hughes passing on Demidov if he falls to us which is possible. Not having any control over him at all for his D+1 season and the looming threat of a team like CSKA with their ties to a tyrannical lunatic and hockey nut in Putin potentially flexing and signing him again. Not having any say in his rehabilitation from a serious knee injury as well will be a major flag for Hughes and others. Just seems like a Michkov lite situation that he typically avoids.

The Lindsrom/Lindros comparisons are laughable and can be entirely dismissed. I suspect we end up with either Lindstrom or Iginla with Iginla being my preference.

Agreed that Sennecke does not look slow although his first 3-5 steps need to get better, probably because he is very weak and desperately needs to fill out.
Not to sidetrack the thread, but I don't think that was the reason that he slipped below 5. The top 4 went where they did because the talent was worth avoiding ANY risk with Michkov. Him getting by Montreal who is offensively starved, and Arizona who as you saw had no problems taking Russian players, there was a solid reason why. I think that's more media speculation than anything. You can see how his "3-year commitment" turned out and how his knee has rebounded. Listening to stories that allegedly came out of the scouting department, it was more character issues. With Bobrov's father having as much access to him as anyone, seems like the most likely reason. Both Montreal and Arizona have a good pulse on what goes on in the KHL (though you would think Philly does as well?)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad