Value of: Vilardi for Brannstrom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm surprised Vilardi is still playing center. Always seemed like more of a winger to me watching him in junior.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
What's funny about Brannstrom is that the vast majority of Senators fans like him and want to see him in the line-up.

The team plays better and moves the puck better with him playing.

It's outright bizarre how he's being treated.

Do you have any doubt that he will be in our lineup by game 20? I don't.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
It took a dozen games last season until they brought him up and we started winning hockey games.

A common theme for this team has been bringing guys along slowly. Its harder for a DMan to grab a fulltime spot and they are being careful. I just don't see Mete or MDZ keeping him out of the lineup for long.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
He just played 11 minutes in the game against the Predators. Safe to say hes running out of time.

????

A Rookie getting 11 minutes as 3rd center is exactly what he needs.
Last year he was rushed because there were no alternatives.
This time they do it right and let him develop his own game.
He is 23 for fridge sakes not 32. He has still 3 years of development ahead of him until people expect production

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
????

He is 23 for fridge sakes not 32. He has still 3 years of development ahead of him until people expect production

22 ;)

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
It’s not time for LA to rid themselves of a 6’3 offensive center who is only 22 years old and did miss 2 years of hockey getting his back right.

LA is still experimenting with lines, deployments etc and will be for the next dozen games. We don’t honestly even know what we have yet.

As for trading for another small Dman when the fan base as a whole thinks we need more size and grit seems like a move in the wrong direction. Now if he had the elite talent of a Makar the size thing could be overlooked but he doesn’t. We have a similar small guy overseas right now that I would rather give a chance then trade a key prospect.

LA needs a Sergachev or Chychrun type and yes that probably is a pipe dream but would I pony up assets for one of them.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
????

Many forwards start to decline in terms of production around that age (23 + 3)... There's not a lot of Mika Zibanejads (who was already producing ~50 pts before his breakout)

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Many forwards start to decline in terms of production around that age (23 + 3)... There's not a lot of Mika Zibanejads (who was already producing ~50 pts before his breakout)

???

26-28 is the age mostly used by experts to assign a number to forwards career peak.
I am looking forward to see what Vilardi can do at age 26

Reactions: 2-4 Slashin

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
???

26-28 is the age mostly used by experts to assign a number to forwards career peak.
I am looking forward to see what Vilardi can do at age 26

26-28 y/o is more like several years ago, league has progressively gotten younger. I keep reading that forwards peak around 24-25

Nothing is linear but it depends on the player's overall game. I'm not too concerned about Vilardi but if a guy like Anthony Duclair doesn't put up points, he's out of the league fast. Thankfully for him, he did in Arizona at 20 y/o so teams knew he had it in him... It took a few years for him to get back at that level but finally did again since he turned 23 y/o. He would never have gotten the chance to wait until 26 y/o before putting up points. Even if he had already did at 20 y/o, the clock was already clicking for him at 23

Another example, Alex Galchenyuk. He had a 30 goals season and two 50+ pts seasons but his NHL career is hanging on by a thread since he was 24 y/o. Look at Yakupov, a 1st OA pick... given chances until 24 y/o. Lias Andersson, a 7th OA pick in 2017, didn't produce, got traded for a 2d round pick at 22 y/o... which is Vilardi current age

Good news for Vilardi is I'm not too worried about his overall game so he should be able to stick in the NHL even if the points are "disappointing"

You could read this thread too if you want

When hockey players peak, decline, and hit their prime

In post #8, there's this :

"James Brander, the co-author interviewed, said that "forwards who do not develop into consistent scorers by age 23 or 24 in most cases never will." "the study proves it is wishful thinking for managers to expect a player in his mid-20s to continue improving significantly. The vast majority of players are at 90 per cent of their best by age 24, although there are a few late bloomers"

In most cases, by age 24, you pretty much know what you'll have in a forward

Last edited:

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
26-28 y/o is more like several years ago, league has progressively gotten younger. I keep reading that forwards peak around 24-25

Nothing is linear but it depends on the player's overall game. I'm not too concerned about Vilardi but if a guy like Anthony Duclair doesn't put up points, he's out of the league fast. Thankfully for him, he did in Arizona at 20 y/o so teams knew he had it in him... It took a few years for him to get back at that level but finally did again since he turned 23 y/o. He would never have gotten the chance to wait until 26 y/o before putting up points. Even if he had already did at 20 y/o, the clock was already clicking for him at 23

Another example, Alex Galchenyuk. He had a 30 goals season and two 50+ pts seasons but his NHL career is hanging on by a thread since he was 24 y/o. Look at Yakupov, a 1st OA pick... given chances until 24 y/o. Lias Andersson, a 7th OA pick in 2017, didn't produce, got traded for a 2d round pick at 22 y/o... which is Vilardi current age

Good news for Vilardi is I'm not too worried about his overall game so he should be able to stick in the NHL even if the points are "disappointing"

"James Brander, the co-author interviewed, said that "forwards who do not develop into consistent scorers by age 23 or 24 in most cases never will." "the study proves it is wishful thinking for managers to expect a player in his mid-20s to continue improving significantly. The vast majority of players are at 90 per cent of their best by age 24, although there are a few late bloomers"

I wasn't aware this changed that much but i appreciate the heads up.

In this case Vilardi has 2 more years of development especially considering he lost 2 seasons due to back injuries.

His playmaking skills are very obvious, so i am not concerned that the rest of the game will follow

Reactions: Xspyrit

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'd easily add a 2nd + more to Brannstrom to add Vilardi

Still think if he didn't have his back issues and miss 2 years of development he'd be a star right now

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I'd say the whole study is flawed, considering they use points and +/- as their foundation of their study. I do agree that most forwards reach peak production around that time. However, that is rarely when they're at their peak, as they still continue developing 'intangibles' if you will and become a complete player. Yzerman is always a prime example to me, If you look back when he was putting up 100+ point seasons you'd assume that was his peak, but many would argue he was a better player overall in the later half of his career.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I could maybe see LA dealing Vilardi for a D but it would be an established upgrade guy.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Swap of ‘17 first rounders in need of a change of scenery.

Brannstrom will allow LA to send down Bjornfot for more seasoning in the minors and give them a legit puck moving defender that can run one their power plays.

Viladri could Benefit from the change of scenery and could allow Ottawa to move on from Tierney as their 3C.
I think this thread could use a change of scenery, in the locked category.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad