VII. Texas Stars (AHL) Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
A. It's not like all the teams looking at Willie didn't already know about his college degrees and other credentials
B. I'm not all that convinced this thing is imminent, I remember all the hubbub about other guys getting hired, nothing happened.
C. I couldn't imagine a less relevant predictor of hiring decisions than a vocal majority of a given team's fans.
D. There are some pretty significant coaches left on the market, including Trotz and potentially Babcock, as well as Blashill.

So yeah, it's pretty likely that coach Willie is gone, but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion, and it might not be an issue if we can get a worthy replacement, which we've done in the past.

A. Babcock is under contract with the Detroit Red Wings. What are you talking about? If he was getting the ax it would have already dropped.

B. Blashill has said he's not leaving Grand Rapids, and Holland said he wouldn't allow teams to interview him anyway.

C. No **** they're already aware of his degree. Kevin Weekes wasn't breaking news to the Canucks via Twitter. I just said that was new information to me, and it lines up with media reports that Cancuks want teachers ... a reason reported in the media they kept him around.

D. Multiple sources have confirmed the Canucks are interested.

I don't see a single person saying it's a guarantee, but most humans can connect the dots and see that the possibility is at least a reasonable outcome. Hence the speculation and back and forth about it in here.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Delayed and Updated E.

Multiple tweets from media that Trotz is going to Washington. Unless I missed something, aren't they still without a GM?

Anyway ... I just don't think it's too strange for people to be genuinely concerned that Willie could be lost and speculate about prospective replacements. No different than talking about Dallas' potential options on D.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I was not disparaging your information, I was commenting on peoples' reactions to the tweets, like it was somehow something that any teams looking at these guys didn't already know.

I've read that some Wings fans think that they may replace Blashill with Babcock, not sure if that's through retirement or firing, but I've never heard those sorts of rumors before this year.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I've read that some Wings fans think that they may replace Blashill with Babcock, not sure if that's through retirement or firing, but I've never heard those sorts of rumors before this year.

Likely the speculation is based on the fact that both Babcock and Blashill's contract end at the same time next season, Blashill has stated no interest in even interviewing for an NHL position this year, and even he had, Holland said he wouldn't allow Blashill to speak to teams this year.

If something goes down, my guess is it would happen next year, and it sure seems as if it's shaping up that way. I think you'd have to assume that a man with NHL head coaching aspirations is fine not searching for a job right now only because he has an inclination that his dream job with the Red Wings might realistically come available.

That, or he was previously informed by Holland he would not be permitted to speak to other teams ... his statement to the media about not leaving GR came before Holland's claim he couldn't speak to other teams AFIK. He might just be playing ball rather than rocking the boat, but I guess we'll see next year.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Alrighty game 2 tonight! Shapiro reporting that Peters is going to be Faksa's LW today instead of Hulak. Makes sense, Toronto was incredibly physical and Peters can bring some of that himself.

Read up on what they did for Disney on Ice at the same time. Pretty insane in that they painted the existing ice, iced it over, and then for the hockey game cut down the ice. May have made for some pretty crappy ice conditions.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
G, i feel like you're trying to either get me ready for when Desjardins to leave or just trying to slowly destroy my spirit.

I wonder if Texas gets knocked out if Willie will maybe stay for one more year to try again/

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
After that, doesn’t any career like Desjardins’ end up as incomplete if it doesn’t include at least one NHL head coaching job?

“No, it can be complete,” he says, without a hint of doubt in his voice. “Any time you get to coach players who want to win and give everything they have, I think that’s complete. If you’re a bantam coach and your players are trying as hard as they can, I think that’s complete.

I like that though.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
G, i feel like you're trying to either get me ready for when Desjardins to leave or just trying to slowly destroy my spirit.

I wonder if Texas gets knocked out if Willie will maybe stay for one more year to try again/

Would be nice, but if the Canucks job is offered, I can't imagine why he'd turn it down.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Alrighty game 2 tonight! Shapiro reporting that Peters is going to be Faksa's LW today instead of Hulak. Makes sense, Toronto was incredibly physical and Peters can bring some of that himself.

Read up on what they did for Disney on Ice at the same time. Pretty insane in that they painted the existing ice, iced it over, and then for the hockey game cut down the ice. May have made for some pretty crappy ice conditions.
I was actually going to bring up the fact that there are several other guys I'd rather see out there ahead of Hulak. So I like that move.

And yeah, the ice was terrible in Game 1. I thought it was funny how there was an article about how great the CP ice is most of the time and then it just gets destroyed during the most important part of the year.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
I was actually going to bring up the fact that there are several other guys I'd rather see out there ahead of Hulak. So I like that move.

And yeah, the ice was terrible in Game 1. I thought it was funny how there was an article about how great the CP ice is most of the time and then it just gets destroyed during the most important part of the year.

Usually the ice is great but man Disney screwed it up pretty badly. Think I mentioned it earlier that I think it was part of reason why Texas couldn't get speed and their game going.

Here's a fun note. The only other fullsize ice sheet is being redone and both the Stars and Marlies have had to practice on the 3/4 ice sheet called The Pond. I'm sure that hampered some of their drills.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I wonder if Texas has plans to promote the construction of more sheets and the proliferation of youth hockey around the Austin area as Dallas did or if they don't consider that their responsibility.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
It'd be awesome but it may be a couple of years away. We lost our one other ice sheet like 3 years ago.

The Pond opened up last September and I think it'll actually do more to help promote youth hockey as that is one of their primary goals. It'll help they're not competing with figure skaters like Chap Ice.

I'd love for another sheet to open up so that I can play games at decent and more set times. As it is you play at almost random times and days.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
As noted Peters on Faksa's line. Rest of the forwards the same. Looks like D mixed up a little bit.

Nemeth-Jokipakka
Meech-Fortunus
Gaunce-Oleksiak.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Also today rumors about Morin moving to Switzerland popped up

Saw the rumor. At least they mentioned that he was still signed.

In this case, Dallas could put him on unconditional waivers to allow his contract to be mutually terminated. From what I've read, the Swiss leagues pay pretty decent money. He might be able to make more there.

Dallas could potentially re-sign Mueller. Maybe they just go with Dowling, Faksa, Peters, and Vause.

Gemel Smith can also play some center.

Until it happens I wouldn't be too concerned about it, but the contract with Dallas isn't a deal breaker.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
So got a small update on Dowling. Turns out he cut by a skate on his arm in Grand Rapids.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Saw the rumor. At least they mentioned that he was still signed.

In this case, Dallas could put him on unconditional waivers to allow his contract to be mutually terminated. From what I've read, the Swiss leagues pay pretty decent money. He might be able to make more there.

Dallas could potentially re-sign Mueller. Maybe they just go with Dowling, Faksa, Peters, and Vause.

Gemel Smith can also play some center.

Until it happens I wouldn't be too concerned about it, but the contract with Dallas isn't a deal breaker.

Yeah, I think the contract could be mutually ended.
And yes, Swiss league pays the highest averages in Europe (non-KHL leagues). Also they usually pay the highest for high end players. Beside it's an amazing country to live in so most would prob take a pay cut to live there ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad