OT: Video Game Talk (oh, also the Week before the All-Star Break Pre-Game Talk "archive")

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Video game market is dying a slow death in chasing 4k/120 photorealistic graphics. AAA games that take 6-7 years to make. Discounted within 2 months. So we move to GAAS and lootbox nonsense. Seems Nintendo is the only company to have figure out that chasing the dragon doesn't always lead to success. Games have to be fun, first and foremost.

Saying all of that, pretty natural that when companies are acquired there is a lot of bloat and redundancy. These layoffs likely should have happened within 6-9 months.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Video game market is dying a slow death in chasing 4k/120 photorealistic graphics. AAA games that take 6-7 years to make. Discounted within 2 months. So we move to GAAS and lootbox nonsense. Seems Nintendo is the only company to have figure out that chasing the dragon doesn't always lead to success. Games have to be fun, first and foremost.

Saying all of that, pretty natural that when companies are acquired there is a lot of bloat and redundancy. These layoffs likely should have happened within 6-9 months.
You are so absolutely right about that.

The industry at large is putting every penny into visuals that most of us don't even really notice. I honestly can not tell if I'm playing a game on my wife's 60hz IPS 4K monitor or my 144Hz 1080P TN panel. Her colors are a bit more vivid, but that's the natural difference between TN and IPS panels.

The big problem is that even AAA games are largely forgetting about things like the actual story, plot and pacing. While there are a few examples of truly great titles in the 4K era, the problem is that list is rather short and the vast majority of games getting released are nowhere near close to being worth $70s. I don't care how good it looks, if I don't give a shit about it I'm not really interested in playing but I sure as hell won't at that price. The gaming industry needs to make games that appeal to people. They are a bit like the last Star Wars trilogy. They forgot that people loved them because of the fun and escapism they had previously provided rather than just hyper-realistic graphics. It's crazy I know, but I actually care less about the color of my character's pubic hair than I do their character and story arc.

Last edited:

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO

The industry at large is putting every penny into visuals that most of us don't even really notice. I honestly can not tell if I'm playing a game on my wife's 60hz IPS 4K monitor or my 144Hz 1080P TN panel. Her colors are a bit more vivid, but that's the natural difference between TN and IPS panels.

The big problem is that even AAA games are largely forgetting about things like the actual story, plot and pacing. While there are a few examples of truly great titles in the 4K era, the problem is that list is rather short and the vast majority of games getting released are nowhere near close to being worth $70s. I don't care how good it looks, if I don't give a shit about it I'm not really interested in playing but I sure as hell won't at that price. The gaming industry needs to make games that appeal to people. They are a bit like the last Star Wars trilogy. They forgot that people loved them because of the fun and escapism they had previously provided rather than just hyper-realistic graphics. It's crazy I know, but I actually care less about the color of my character's pubic hair than I do their character and story arc.
But if the can of oil in the random out of the way abandoned gas station isn't fully rendered in 4K with hyper realistic textures and physics, that'll completely break my immersion!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I think the biggest problem is a lack of leadership and planning at the top. EA is a perfect example of this; I am currently playing Star Wars: Fallen Order, and even though it has actually been fun to play, with a good story and likeable characters that destroy whatever Disney has done, the game's physics are completely broken. There is no excuse for developing and releasing a game with worse climbing physics than Assassin's Creed. AC games set the bar of what moveability should be and feel like, how EA could not replicate the same results in this one is quite dumbfounded.

Better planning is needed because if there is a money issue and game studios have to release games to meet a certain quota since they have already exceeded their development funds, that just shows really bad leadership. Espeically when the game is not ready to be released. Just look at EA again; Anthem could go down as one of the top 5 busts of all-time gaming history. They decided to release it after wasting too many years, and it was a complete backfire even if they internally knew they were going to take the loss. The problem is that EA then released Fallen Order around nine months later with similarly related issues: a game that needed another six months of development to refine the physics and make the gameplay much more enjoyable.

The same thing is happening with their CFB25 where a lot of the positivity is actually having universities back, but doesn't really hide how barebones it is and the immense amount of problems that were released with the game. It's like EA's motto is always, "that's good enough," and never goes back to address it until six months later....after it has already been freakin' released. Now, it's not just EA making these mistakes since I am using them because they are an excellent example of being f***tards. It is an issue plaguing the majority of gaming studios except for Nintendo (as @henchman21 alluded to), but they have suffered from it quite a bit lately (Paper Mario new one and Switch Mario Party as case studies).

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I think the biggest problem is a lack of leadership and planning at the top. EA is a perfect example of this; I am currently playing Star Wars: Fallen Order, and even though it has actually been fun to play, with a good story and likeable characters that destroy whatever Disney has done, the game's physics are completely broken. There is no excuse for developing and releasing a game with worse climbing physics than Assassin's Creed. AC games set the bar of what moveability should be and feel like, how EA could not replicate the same results in this one is quite dumbfounded.

Better planning is needed because if there is a money issue and game studios have to release games to meet a certain quota since they have already exceeded their development funds, that just shows really bad leadership. Just look at EA again; Anthem could go down as one of the top 5 busts of all-time gaming history. They decided to release it after wasting too many years, and it was a complete backfire even if they internally knew they were going to take the loss. The problem is that EA then released Fallen Order around nine months later with similarly related issues: a game that needed another six months of development to refine the physics and make the gameplay much more enjoyable.

The same thing is happening with their CFB25 where a lot of the positivity is actually having universities back, but doesn't really hide how barebones it is and the immense amount of problems that were released with the game. It's like EA's motto is always, "that's good enough," and never goes back to address it until six months later....after it has already been freakin' released. Now, it's not just EA making these mistakes since I am using them because they are an excellent example of being f***tards. It is an issue plaguing the majority of gaming studios except for Nintendo (as @henchman21 alluded to), but they have suffered from it quite a bit lately (Paper Mario new one and Switch Mario Party as case studies).
We never upgraded from the original Wii. I don't think either of us were overly impressed with Nintendo's catalogue vs the titles that were available through Sony's PS. However, their party games absolutely kicked massive ass. They had so many different titles that amounted to a bunch of mini games involving snowboarding (using the balance board) and what not. Short stuff that a group can have fun passing around controllers and keeping everyone engaged are in short supply.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
We never upgraded from the original Wii. I don't think either of us were overly impressed with Nintendo's catalogue vs the titles that were available through Sony's PS. However, their party games absolutely kicked massive ass. They had so many different titles that amounted to a bunch of mini games involving snowboarding (using the balance board) and what not. Short stuff that a group can have fun passing around controllers and keeping everyone engaged are in short supply.
I understand not upgrading, but Nintendo is one of the companies that deserves some respect and leeway. I agree with @henchman21 that they do want you to keep buying the new updated version compared to MS or Sony, but my brethren have at least...30 to 40, maybe even 50 Switch games that he bought, which are high-quality ones that are absolutely great and fun to play.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I’d argue while it was a massive sales success… the Wii was Nintendo’s worst console. Wii U sold like shit, but actually had a lot of good games. IMO Switch is probably the best console and collection of games since the PS2. Maybe 360 gets close, but nothing recent touches it.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I’d argue while it was a massive sales success… the Wii was Nintendo’s worst console. Wii U sold like shit, but actually had a lot of good games. IMO Switch is probably the best console and collection of games since the PS2. Maybe 360 gets close, but nothing recent touches it.
I mean, I'm not going to talk my wife out of Sony's system because it was home to her most beloved platformers.

But I might consider talking myself into get a console, in addition, to my PC. I can't give up the steam library though and pretty much both sony and microsofts games get on Steam (with the exception of EA NHL titles). But apparently the lack of Nintendo titles has been causing me to lose some good experiences. Although, I always imagined my next bit of kit would be the Steam Deck.

Reactions: The Moops

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado

The only AAA game I've even played in the last 5 years is MLB 2k24 The Show. And that's just because the Rockies suck and I had a hankering for some baseball. Everything I have played is some indie release where the devs obviously like their game.

Sad that the big studios don't realize what matters is passion.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Steam Deck is the best purchase I've made in a long long time. Only problem is that on my last flight the flight attendant just stood and watched me play Shadows of War for 3 hours and kept asking me about it haha.

Man I wish I could say the same. I bought the Steam Deck and have used it likely less than 5 hours total. I've had it since it came out too. I just feel like whenever I try to use it, I can't help but just want to use my PC instead since it does literally everything better. Even traveling, my work laptop is an MSI laptop with a 3080 in it so I have no incentive to even use the thing when traveling.

• Wow

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I agree that for all of the buzz about the novelty factor of motion controls, looking back from the perspective of 2024, it's hard to fill a top 10 list of actually good Wii games.

But I feel I could say the same about Wii U, where the situation with the lack of good first-party software and practically non-existent third-party support, means it's an effort for me to even formulate a top 5 if we consider Breath of the Wild fundamentally a Switch game. What games on the Wii U do you consider worth playing?

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Its been proven time and time again that chasing top end graphics is a losing battle, triple A devs have not received the memo though. The costs have skyrocketed and so have the dev times while most are not even asking for the best looking game on the market. As long as the game is quality people will be interested.

We also reached the point of diminishing returns big time. The graphical difference between this and last gen games is fairly marginal, only the minimal load times and higher fps has been a major improvement.

AI once it reaches a certain point will completely change the gaming landscape and it won't even take that long.

Last edited:

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Too bad the Switch games run like shit. I can tolerate the bad graphics, but poor performance on top of it is a big no no.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I agree that for all of the buzz about the novelty factor of motion controls, looking back from the perspective of 2024, it's hard to fill a top 10 list of actually good Wii games.

But I feel I could say the same about Wii U, where the situation with the lack of good first-party software and practically non-existent third-party support, means it's an effort for me to even formulate a top 5 if we consider Breath of the Wild fundamentally a Switch game. What games on the Wii U do you consider worth playing?
I’d argue that BotW is fundamentally a Wii U game that got ported over to the Switch. It spent all but the last bit of development on the U.

Beyond that though there are a lot of good games. Now most have been ported over to other systems, but for a while they had their own life on the Wii U. Lego City Undercover, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Toad’s Treasure Tracker, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Yoshi’s Wooly World, Smash, wind Waker HD, Mario 3D World, Mario Maker, Pikman 3 and MK8. All fantastic games on the system. The system just sold like garbage, so many of these fell off the radar or got a 2nd life on the Switch.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Too bad the Switch games run like shit. I can tolerate the bad graphics, but poor performance on top of it is a big no no.
I think poor performance needs defined here. If it is running in 4k/60 with no dips, then yeah... the Switch just doesn't have the horsepower to do that (no handhelds do and won't for years). It is basically a tablet from like 2013. If we're talking stability though, the Switch is far better than other systems. It may only target 900p/30 or 900p/60 (or less resolution) depending on the game, but a lot of the major games run very well. Pokemon (not a series I'm interested in personally, has issues), but Zelda, Mario, MP, hell even Doom, Doom Eternal, Wolfenstein, and TW3 all run pretty well outside a few spurts. Nier Automata actually runs better than the console equivalents because they trimmed the framerate to 30 and it actually holds 30 instead of bouncing everywhere.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Man I wish I could say the same. I bought the Steam Deck and have used it likely less than 5 hours total. I've had it since it came out too. I just feel like whenever I try to use it, I can't help but just want to use my PC instead since it does literally everything better. Even traveling, my work laptop is an MSI laptop with a 3080 in it so I have no incentive to even use the thing when traveling.
Oh man, yeah I'm in a different boat. My desktop only has a 1070, which is still fine for the games I play, but my house is only 900 square feet, so I don't typically get a chance to play super violent games privately and even late at night it's just too loud on the TV without keeping the kids up. So the deck with Bluetooth headphones is just about perfect. And that way my son gets to play on my desktop hooked to the TV so we can play Halo and Splitgate together

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo

Better planning is needed because if there is a money issue and game studios have to release games to meet a certain quota since they have already exceeded their development funds, that just shows really bad leadership. Espeically when the game is not ready to be released. Just look at EA again; Anthem could go down as one of the top 5 busts of all-time gaming history. They decided to release it after wasting too many years, and it was a complete backfire even if they internally knew they were going to take the loss. The problem is that EA then released Fallen Order around nine months later with similarly related issues: a game that needed another six months of development to refine the physics and make the gameplay much more enjoyable.

The CEO of Bungie went out and bought 20 exotic cars, gutted his workforce then immediately set his twitter profile to private. That's a special kind of cowardice.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I think poor performance needs defined here. If it is running in 4k/60 with no dips, then yeah... the Switch just doesn't have the horsepower to do that (no handhelds do and won't for years). It is basically a tablet from like 2013. If we're talking stability though, the Switch is far better than other systems. It may only target 900p/30 or 900p/60 (or less resolution) depending on the game, but a lot of the major games run very well. Pokemon (not a series I'm interested in personally, has issues), but Zelda, Mario, MP, hell even Doom, Doom Eternal, Wolfenstein, and TW3 all run pretty well outside a few spurts. Nier Automata actually runs better than the console equivalents because they trimmed the framerate to 30 and it actually holds 30 instead of bouncing everywhere.
30 fps should be considered poor performance, its choppy and plays like ass. A poor gaming experience.

I can tolerate it as long as the game is really damn good and there is no alternative, but its far from ideal.

Last edited:
Reactions: missionAvs

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Gotta set it to private for all the camera reels of hookers and cocaine at his parties.
I'm telling you kids. Drugs are bad, mkay?

If you don't do all the drugs, you won't need a camera to remember what you did with the hookers. If you don't have to record that shit to remember, you won't be exposed to all of it being plastered across the internet for your mom and little sister to see.
Rick James Cocaine Is A Hell Of A Drug GIFs | Tenor

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
30 fps should be considered poor performance, its choppy and plays like ass. A poor gaming experience.

I can tolerate it as long as the game is really damn good and there is no alternative, but its far from ideal.
The simply put, you’ll be relegated to PC gaming. 60fps isn’t holding in this generation, let alone basically on a tablet from 2014.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00