OT: Video Game Talk (oh, also the Week before the All-Star Break Pre-Game Talk "archive")

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Helldivers might scratch that it if you haven't tried it yet (albeit no campaign, but it's highly immersive), especially if you have a buddy to play with. Even if you don't, the community is pretty friendly since it's PvE rather than PvP. It's also not monetized which I give the developers huge props for - you can unlock everything F2P and they there isn't any P2W aspect. I refuse to pay for loot boxes, but I actually bought some credits because I felt that the base game was so cheap and wanted to support them.
I liked it, but it's not my type of game. High quality single player campaings are my jam, they pretty much don't make those with FPS games anymore. Respect the no monetization part and the cheap price a ton though (minus the PS plus stuff) simply great especially in genre that has somewhat become an interactive storefront.

Reactions: The Moops and PAZ

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
May as well post this here as well

Anyway, I need help. I realised the other day that it felt like it's been a long time since I actually enjoyed playing a game. So I checked and I discovered that yes, I have actually played very few games in the past year that I've enjoyed. Here's the list starting from last August:

Alan Wake - boring, stupid, a pain to play
Transistor - good, enjoyed
Endling: Extinction is Forever - cute but boring
Hotline Miami 1/2 - technically good, but frustrating by its nature and I never finished them
WRC 9 - not as good as 8 which I'd played recently
Trials of the Blood Dragon - didn't finish it and Trials seems like something I like the idea of more than the thing itself
Dishonored - felt too familiar despite it being several years since I played the PS3 version, recognise that it's objectively good but didn't connect with it and also didn't finish it
Disney Speedstorm - enjoyed playing this every day for several months before I eventually stopped myself because it was being ruined by its devs and making me unhappy and no amount of Kermit could fix that
Super Woden GP - very frustrating arcade racing experience
Lego 2K Drive - not only a bad game, an insult to the first PlayStation game I ever played that shaped my opinion on everything since
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - boring generic garbage that made me long for the boring generic smug garbage of Uncharted
Dirt 5 - boring
Kentucky Route Zero - pretentious and boring
Anthem - I will take the blame for this
The Witness - I did enjoy most of this but I couldn't finish the last challenge and couldn't make myself try to finish it
Trackmania - technically not finished but repetitive and frustrating when it doesn't go well
RiMS Racing - motorbike racing but very tedious and unrefined and just a grind eventually
Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier - good
CastleStorm - cheap version of Angry Birds
Death's Door - fine, but not for me
Metro Exodus - boring, unengaging and dumber that it should be
Borderlands 2 - finished a grind that felt like it lasted years
Daxter - good
NHL 24 - trying to win a Ones tournament actually gave me a sense of purpose, but my forays into Be a Pro and Franchise mode have told me that the 15 year wait since my last game may have been a bit too long
Gone Home - good, I liked it

My big problem seems like the games that I've spent the most time on have done nothing for me - Tomb Raider, Anthem, RiMS, Metro Exodus, all taking up huge amounts of time while being completely unrewarding. I think this has made me reluctant to start anything because... am I going to go through the same thing? Can I just find something that I can enjoy that isn't a walking sim or a PSP game?

The help I need is I don't know what to play next that I might actually enjoy, so here's a list of everything that I can play. What do you recommend?

Alien: Isolation
Batman: Arkham City
Bayonetta
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Bound
Downwell
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas
Iconoclasts
Rollerdrome
Axiom Verge 2
Biomutant
Code Vein
Control
Crash Bandicoot trilogy
Curse of the Dead Gods
Days Gone
Enter the Gungeon
Evil West
Fallen Legion: Flames of Rebellion
Fallout 76
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Generation Zero
Granblue Fantasy: Versus
Heavenly Bodies
Hello Neighbour 2
Hitman 2
Hollow Knight
Just Cause 4
Kingdoms of Amalur
Lego Harry Potter
Middle-earth Shadow of War
Neon Chrome
Nioh
Nobody Saves the World
Rainbow Moon
Remnant: From the Ashes
Rogue Legacy
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Saints Row
Sifu
Skul
Slay the Spire
Subnautica
Superhot
Tails of Iron
Team Sonic Racing
The Surge
Thumper
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2
Trek to Yomi
Tribes of Midgard
Tunic
Vampyr
Vanquish
Weird West
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza: Like a Dragon

I just want something that's going to be fun mechanically, have an engaging world and characters if there are any and for it to not feel as if it's taking years to finish it. If there's anything in that list you can recommend or anything else you think is worthwhile that's relatively cheap, please share. I'm at the point where I really need it.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
May as well post this here as well
I played a lot of Magic: The Gathering in college, so Slay the Spire is fun for me. And doesn’t take too long each play through (you will die a lot lol). Dicey Dungeons is fun on mobile, too.

Cyberpunk 2077 was on sale for like $30 (not sure your price range), I decided to pick it up and give it a go, it seems like it’s going to be really cool once I get through the ‘intro’ where you basically have to talk to people constantly. I’m told this can take 5-6 hours before the game ‘releases’ you into the open world. I’m almost there, haha

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I played a lot of Magic: The Gathering in college, so Slay the Spire is fun for me. And doesn’t take too long each play through (you will die a lot lol). Dicey Dungeons is fun on mobile, too.

Cyberpunk 2077 was on sale for like $30 (not sure your price range), I decided to pick it up and give it a go, it seems like it’s going to be really cool once I get through the ‘intro’ where you basically have to talk to people constantly. I’m told this can take 5-6 hours before the game ‘releases’ you into the open world. I’m almost there, haha
And I still get the feels at that moment. 4 playthroughs later.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

Should have added that I'm on PS4 so Cyberpunk 2077 isn't really viable, but that's two Slay the Spire votes from HF so far.

Reactions: Avs91

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Slay the spire was good fun.

The best card based video games that I can think of are Balatro, Inscryption and Thronebreaker The Witcher Tales.

Reactions: Avs91

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
That's great to hear, I was getting a little worried :laugh:. I am for sure enjoying the story, though
Should have added that I'm on PS4 so Cyberpunk 2077 isn't really viable, but that's two Slay the Spire votes from HF so far.
Ah, I feel you there. I've only had my series S for like a year lol

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
How good are the revists?

I got an ending I wasn't really expecting at all... kind of damn depressing really. However, since I did take enough time to do all the side quests I had available on that initial playthrough, I've just felt no urge to go back and explore again as a result.

I think the big thing for me is that for the first time in my life, I didn't really care for Keanu. I'm a huge fan of the guy, but when he showed up, it felt like he was constantly interrupting "my game" with his problems to a degree and I started to resent him because I was having fun with side quests and he was a whiny bitch that would pop up out of nowhere and beg me to go do something else that I'd rather not right now.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
How good are the revists?

I got an ending I wasn't really expecting at all... kind of damn depressing really. However, since I did take enough time to do all the side quests I had available on that initial playthrough, I've just felt no urge to go back and explore again as a result.

I think the big thing for me is that for the first time in my life, I didn't really care for Keanu. I'm a huge fan of the guy, but when he showed up, it felt like he was constantly interrupting "my game" with his problems to a degree and I started to resent him because I was having fun with side quests and he was a whiny bitch that would pop up out of nowhere and beg me to go do something else that I'd rather not right now.
I find them fun... there's a few new endings with the DLC too. I enjoy trying out the different builds and playing through different endings. My favorite was a monowire/hacking build. I also went Sandevistan on one and that was quite enjoyable too. My next run will probably be a samurai build. I think the only build I didn't like so far was a mantis blade build... it looks awesome, but

images

I didn't mind Keanu, but he does get more annoying the more you treat him like shit. :laugh:

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Add one more vote for Slay the Spire. I've beat it on the highest difficulty level with all the characters. I don't want to spoil anything, but suffice to say, it was a game that drew me in and had me playing it for a long time. But there is nothing to force you to play as long as I did. You should be able to roll credits after a few runs and decide from there if you want to keep playing.

My favorite game from your list is Hollow Knight though, but it is maybe a lengthier commitment than you would want. I think it's the finest Metroidvania ever made, but it's not as concise as others in the genre.

Third place for me would probably be Enter the Gungeon with Tunic being fourth. Tunic is an isometric Zelda-like, but its mechanics are creative and unique, and it's relatively short, so it won't feel like a slog to play.

Hitman 2 would probably be fifth for me? But I take it you've already played similar before, so it's less likely to reignite a fading passion unless that kind of game is your thing?

Reactions: Ceremony

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I find them fun... there's a few new endings with the DLC too. I enjoy trying out the different builds and playing through different endings. My favorite was a monowire/hacking build. I also went Sandevistan on one and that was quite enjoyable too. My next run will probably be a samurai build. I think the only build I didn't like so far was a mantis blade build... it looks awesome, but

images

I didn't mind Keanu, but he does get more annoying the more you treat him like shit. :laugh:
I always saw V as more of a survivor, looking to find a home, than a cause. He seemed pretty much done with the idea of causes. For whatever reason, I just didn't engage in much of the RPG aspects and instead just leveled up what he had gotten by on his whole life, a certain amount of raw intelligence, a healthy dose of charisma, a clean concious but no allegiances and knowing when to get agressive enough, quick enough. I didn't really modify his body or anything other than the very few times they were forced by the story to proceed rather than to optimize any real playstyle.

Sounds like I potentially really blew a lot in the game by not experimenting, but for me the grand star and purpose of the whole thing was Liberty City itself. It was exploring and interacting with the world built, rather than the story created that I felt so compelling. Just an epic example of world building. A least on the first play-through the only thing that felt repetitive was the advertisements, and that honestly means they nailed it! *LOL*

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Add one more vote for Slay the Spire. I've beat it on the highest difficulty level with all the characters. I don't want to spoil anything, but suffice to say, it was a game that drew me in and had me playing it for a long time. But there is nothing to force you to play as long as I did. You should be able to roll credits after a few runs and decide from there if you want to keep playing.

My favorite game from your list is Hollow Knight though, but it is maybe a lengthier commitment than you would want. I think it's the finest Metroidvania ever made, but it's not as concise as others in the genre.

Third place for me would probably be Enter the Gungeon with Tunic being fourth. Tunic is an isometric Zelda-like, but its mechanics are creative and unique, and it's relatively short, so it won't feel like a slog to play.

Hitman 2 would probably be fifth for me? But I take it you've already played similar before, so it's less likely to reignite a fading passion unless that kind of game is your thing?
I barely know what Slay the Spire actually is, but I know it's not something I've ever played before. I've played things like Celeste and enjoyed them so Hollow Knight is a possibility. Tunic's probably a no for now because I played Death's Door a few months ago which sounds the same and didn't enjoy it a lot. I played Hitman last year and Hitman 2 is just more of the same so probably a bit soon for that.

Slay the Spire seems like something I should try so I'll give that a go at some point.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I really hate Intel right now. Of course, I had to luck my way into building a gaming PC when their high-end gaming chips are faulty and have no fix in sight. The AMD equivalent is $522 dollars, and then I'd also have to get a new motherboard with an AMD socket AM5 for $325 dollars..... So an extra $847 dollars +tax to fix their f***up. The best part is, That I won't even be able to pop in the next high-end Intel CPU (whenever that releases and that's also assuming they fix the issue) because they're abandoning their current socket.

My PC is already a year old, so I can't return it, or get any kind of warranty on it. I haven't had any major issues yet, but I do get odd lag spikes randomly. Even if that’s not caused by the CPU, from what's being reported, it seems like it's only a matter of time before it happens.

I saw people saying AMD was the way to go before I built the damn thing, but I always used Intel in the past and had no issues. That's what I get for being a stubborn brand loyal idiot.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Moops

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I really hate Intel right now. Of course, I had to luck my way into building a gaming PC when their high-end gaming chips are faulty and have no fix in sight. The AMD equivalent is $522 dollars, and then I'd also have to get a new motherboard with an AMD socket AM5 for $325 dollars..... So an extra $847 dollars +tax to fix their f***up. The best part is, That I won't even be able to pop in the next high-end Intel CPU (whenever that releases and assuming that's also assuming they fix the issue) because they're abandoning their current socket.

My PC is already a year old, so I can't return it, or get any kind of warranty on it. I haven't had any major issues yet, but I do get odd lag spikes randomly. Even if that’s not caused by the CPU, from what's being reported, it seems like it's only a matter of time before it happens.

I saw people saying AMD was the way to go before I built the damn thing, but I always used Intel in the past and had no issues. That's what I get for being a stubborn brand loyal idiot.
PC Master Race

Reactions: sethro109

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I really hate Intel right now. Of course, I had to luck my way into building a gaming PC when their high-end gaming chips are faulty and have no fix in sight. The AMD equivalent is $522 dollars, and then I'd also have to get a new motherboard with an AMD socket AM5 for $325 dollars..... So an extra $847 dollars +tax to fix their f***up. The best part is, That I won't even be able to pop in the next high-end Intel CPU (whenever that releases and assuming that's also assuming they fix the issue) because they're abandoning their current socket.

And the patch isn't coming out for another month or two right?

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
And the patch isn't coming out for another month or two right?
There's been a few patches and fixes already, I did already try the beta Asus bios update. But A lot of tech experts don't think it's a bios problem. Some even think it's because their clamp is horrible, and doesn't provide even pressure around the CPU to the board. I hope this patch fixes it, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
There's been a few patches and fixes already, I did already try the beta Asus bios update. But A lot of tech experts don't think it's a bios problem. Some even think it's because their clamp is horrible, and doesn't provide even pressure around the CPU to the board. I hope this patch fixes it, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

I guess Intel has a patch coming in August

Reactions: sethro109

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Reactions: The Moops

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad