Rumor: Victor Soderstrom signing in Sweden

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It sucks when a top 15 pick does not work out.

Yes, they retain his rights, but it will be another 24 months until they see any value from that pick (if at all).

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
It sucks when a top 15 pick does not work out.

Yes, they retain his rights, but it will be another 24 months until they see any value from that pick (if at all).

He probably has a clause in his SHL contract that makes him able to sign with an NHL team.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
He probably has a clause in his SHL contract that makes him able to sign with an NHL team.
There is no NHL clause in Soderstrom’s contract with Brynas.

Utah retains Soderstrom’s NHL rights and will be placed on their reserve list for at least the next 2 seasons.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
There is no NHL clause in Soderstrom’s contract with Brynas.

Utah retains Soderstrom’s NHL rights and will be placed on their reserve list for at least the next 2 seasons.
Does he need anything in his contract? Doesn't the NHL and Swedish league have a transfer agreement where players can sign in the NHL by June 15 every year?

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Does he need anything in his contract? Doesn't the NHL and Swedish league have a transfer agreement where players can sign in the NHL by June 15 every year?
Yes Soderstrom could choose to sign with Utah before the December 1st RFA signing deadline and return to the NHL but it’s highly unlikely for this season as there’s no precedence of this happening that I know of.

Soderstrom could sign next season if he decides to leave Brynas, but why would he want to leave home midway through his SHL contract.

The most likely outcome is that he stays in Sweden for the next two seasons.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Yes Soderstrom could choose to sign with Utah before the December 1st RFA signing deadline and return to the NHL but it’s highly unlikely for this season as there’s no precedence of this happening that I know of.

Soderstrom could sign next season if he decides to leave Brynas, but why would he want to leave home midway through his SHL contract.

The most likely outcome is that he stays in Sweden for the next two seasons.
Ok.. your post made it sound like the reason was that there was no clause in his contract which no one needs.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Holding Soderstrom’s rights while he plays in the SHL could potentially end up better for Utah vs possibly losing him on waivers this season.
Of course that is true, but losing him on waivers this season is worse than a top 15 pick making the team and taking strides towards being an impact player, which his draft position commands in the 2020's.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Dumb to give up on a defenseman at only 23 but I guess they want to get competitive now which is understandable.

No, I'm not saying he will be a star in the NHL or anything just that's it's too soon to evaluate him. Chara looked like one of the worst defensemen in the NHL at 23 years of age for example.
Ones a giant ones tiny. Opposite development curves. Not a good example.

Right handed d men usually get every opportunity. Out of the league at 23 as a top 11 pick is definitely a bust.

Another average/ undersized swedish d man that no one wanted that was picked high or highly touted.

Boqvist, Lundqvist, Kylington and Brannstrom all not qualified. Soderstrom gone to Europe.

I guess teams start being more cautious picking small d men high in the draft.

Kinds surprised no one wanted to take a chance on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Ones a giant ones tiny. Opposite development curves. Not a good example.

Right handed d men usually get every opportunity. Out of the league at 23 as a top 11 pick is definitely a bust.

Another average/ undersized swedish d man that no one wanted that was picked high or highly touted.

Boqvist, Lundqvist and Brannstrom all not qualified. Soderstrom gone to Europe.

I guess teams start being more cautious picking small d men high in the draft.

Kinds surprised no one wanted to take a chance on him.
Agreed - full on bust.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
So there's an interview up with Söderström. To summarise: he has wanted a new start for the past two years. He has wanted them to trade him. It sounds like they tried to. His target is and will always be playing in the NHL, but you can get stuck in an organisation and then it's better to do something else. You don't go there to play in the AHL.

In another interview, he confirmed that he disregarded other options in Sweden and Switzerland, because he wanted to play with Brynäs.

So yeah, two years with Brynäs and then try to sign with an NHL team as a UFA does indeed seem to be the plan.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad