Value of: Victor Olofsson for picks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Weirder things happened in the past, look at what the Lightning gave for Jeannot, or just the Habs who gave a 1st round pick for Dvorak (and I'm a Habs fan...).

If something has to be very weird to happen, it's highly unlikely. Mid-rounder? I can see it - mentioned before, something like a third.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Fair but that is a different situation - Columbus needed to move him for salary, cap reasons related to signing gaudreau - thus is not that situation. Also, it’s pretty wide acknowledge that Colombus got burned in that trade before OB even played a minute for the kraken ….
Jarmo did acknowledge in an interview fairly recently that he chose the Seattle offer over another that was better but the other GM didn't confirm sooner. Our suspicions on the Jackets board is this was also a thank you nod to Seattle for taking Bayreuther in the expansion draft when their plan had been to take Kivilenieks til the tragedy. The Bjorkstrand deal sucked but it's certainly better than the alternatives, which would've been packaging our 23 first with either Voracek or Nyquist.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I see little to no value in the player...

If Buffalo really wanted to jettison him, they could get a mid round pick if they retained a bit on him.

Other than that, I imagine they'll ride with him until his contract expires after the season and then probably cut ties

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Have you not been following the flat cap situation? No one is sending off anything of significant value for a guy who doesn't contribute in any areas other than being spoon fed goals. He's not getting a 1st, so I'm not sure why a 3rd is hard for you to accept.
Oh yes, I've been paying attention to the covid era cap. Covid is done, it's over.
I hear what you espouse every deadline and off season, and still, I see teams paying a price for thus player or that player where the inevitable posts show up, "over paid", "not worth that", and so on. I don't believe Olofsson is worth a mere 3rd rd pick, and I don't believe he'll be traded as a singular entity, but as part of a package.
There is no debate here, I have my opinion, others have theirs, but I can 100% guarantee you Olofsson won't go for a 3rd rd pick or lower, imho.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
If a team came offering a first, I would immediately call emergency services to help the GM placing the call.

AFTER sending the trade into the league, of course. ;)

But yeah -- Olofsson at 50% might be worth a 3rd or so. Maybe we could squeeze a 2nd out of a team that really needs to add a high-end shooting threat that doesn't offer much more

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Oh yes, I've been paying attention to the covid era cap. Covid is done, it's over.
I hear what you espouse every deadline and off season, and still, I see teams paying a price for thus player or that player where the inevitable posts show up, "over paid", "not worth that", and so on. I don't believe Olofsson is worth a mere 3rd rd pick, and I don't believe he'll be traded as a singular entity, but as part of a package.
There is no debate here, I have my opinion, others have theirs, but I can 100% guarantee you Olofsson won't go for a 3rd rd pick or lower, imho.
agree with this - he's worth more as a depth piece to the sabres then them getting another 3 - he's worth a 2 with retention at least given his even strength goal scoring + his past PP performance. Sabres won't trade him for a mid round pick as that's worth less to them than olofsson as a depth piece

Reactions: DJN21 and Yatzhee

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Just thinking Marner is such a great playmaker and both are exceptional defensive player they can make up for Olofsson but maybe they need a someone to go in the corners.

Feels more like putting a hat on a hat if you ask me.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
To clarify, Buffalo has absolutely 0 need to clear cap space--the point of moving Olofsson would mostly be to make room for one of Savoie/Kulich--so if we get more value by retaining, I have no reason to think we wouldn't.
Oh OK, wasn't sure if Buffalo wanted to make a splash in free agency/trade or not. They gave got to be pushing for a playoff spot next year... granted I'm not sure there's much on the market this year.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Oh OK, wasn't sure if Buffalo wanted to make a splash in free agency/trade or not. They gave got to be pushing for a playoff spot next year... granted I'm not sure there's much on the market this year.

We barely made it to the cap floor last season. We’re one of the few teams in the league that isn’t basically forced to match dollars in with dollars out to stay cap compliant. (We have some RFAs due significant raises next summer, so that’s not to say we can spend recklessly this off-season, but we have room to play with.)

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
If a team came offering a first, I would immediately call emergency services to help the GM placing the call.
maybe Tampas GM can offer a 1st from 2028 he already traded a boatload of picks for a guy who got 4 points in 20 games.

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016

One common thing that all those players that returned a high pick? They were signed for dirt cheap and brought intangibles other than pure scoring. Oloffson is not Coleman or Hagel. Unless there was some sort of massive cap raise this offseason that I missed, a 4.750 40 point winger that doesn't PK will not get that return.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I'd try to get a 2024 2nd back for Vic (50% retained) + a 6th.

2024 pick delays some pain for the buyer and gives Buffalo upside to score a nice pick. Helps spread Buffalo's glut of picks/prospects into the future. If the buyer wanted to resell at the deadline, Vic at 75% retained could recoup decently well.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
maybe Tampas GM can offer a 1st from 2028 he already traded a boatload of picks for a guy who got 4 points in 20 games.

When Vic is physically feared for how he plays on the ice, I will wonder what timeline I am in and how do I get back to reality. In the meantime, comparisons to players of similar skillsets points to Vic being worth considerably less.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Contending teams aren't going to trade a late-ish 2nd for a goal scorer only. Those overpays are left for physical/gritty guys. Bottom dwellers are only going to pay so much to get a guy that can help keep fans interested, while they're in building mode and need better picks. That tells me an early 3rd is the best Buffalo can hope for, and I'm good with that.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
When Vic is physically feared for how he plays on the ice, I will wonder what timeline I am in and how do I get back to reality. In the meantime, comparisons to players of similar skillsets points to Vic being worth considerably less.
It would be interesting if they could find out what triggered Vic during that weird 10 game stretch he had mid season where he was actually forechecking, and battling for pucks. If you could get THAT Vic for a season he'd be an excellent middle 6 winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad