Value of: Victor Olofsson for picks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
This might seem out there but what about a swap with the Rangers?

Vic at 50% retained drops him down to 2 mill and play him on a Rangers team looking for a quick retool back into the playoffs and could use his goal scoring.

Rosen (cheap potential top 6 option for several years on a Rangers team that needs cap relief and would have a low cost option in Rosen)

for

Goodrow (clear cap dump in several regards that the Rangers would seemingly like to get out of. Actually provides elements the Sabres need on a 4th line and can absorb his cap inflated cost especially if Okposo and/or girgensons walk)

Lindgren (I assume he'd be quicker to go than Schenider but if not they can be swapped. Essentially its Lindgren for Rosen which would save the Rangers another 2 million or so).

I don't pretend to be a mastermind of the Rangers internal budget but it seems like a deal like this would likely allow them to try and sign another free agent to add to their team as well. In a vacuum I assume the deal would look like Lindgren>Rosen but the Goodrow with his years of contract left are worse than Vic at one year and the offense he could provide for a team on the cusp added to the value of Rosen being years of cheap contribution and the potnetial of what the Rangers could do with that added cap space....

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
This might seem out there but what about a swap with the Rangers?

Vic at 50% retained drops him down to 2 mill and play him on a Rangers team looking for a quick retool back into the playoffs and could use his goal scoring.

Rosen (cheap potential top 6 option for several years on a Rangers team that needs cap relief and would have a low cost option in Rosen)

for

Goodrow (clear cap dump in several regards that the Rangers would seemingly like to get out of. Actually provides elements the Sabres need on a 4th line and can absorb his cap inflated cost especially if Okposo and/or girgensons walk)

Lindgren (I assume he'd be quicker to go than Schenider but if not they can be swapped. Essentially its Lindgren for Rosen which would save the Rangers another 2 million or so).

I don't pretend to be a mastermind of the Rangers internal budget but it seems like a deal like this would likely allow them to try and sign another free agent to add to their team as well. In a vacuum I assume the deal would look like Lindgren>Rosen but the Goodrow with his years of contract left are worse than Vic at one year and the offense he could provide for a team on the cusp added to the value of Rosen being years of cheap contribution and the potnetial of what the Rangers could do with that added cap space....
Hell no

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
VO did not get top PP time this year. Honestly idk how he scored so much, but he is a sniper. Sabres have about 4 of those that can slot there so he isn't necessary. That said 30ish goals and change of scenery probably a second and B prospect. We know GM's love goals.

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
If a team came offering a first, I would immediately call emergency services to help the GM placing the call.

Weirder things happened in the past, look at what the Lightning gave for Jeannot, or just the Habs who gave a 1st round pick for Dvorak (and I'm a Habs fan...).

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think he's "worth" a 2nd in the abstract.

But I have no idea what the market is going to be this summer with so many teams up against the cap. I could see a deal where he returns a decent, cheap grinder + a 3rd or 4th.

Yeah I think fans on here don’t really realize that it will probably be even harder to move salary this off-season and we will be seeing more Bjorkstrand deals where guys go for way less than they are worth.

I think a 2nd seems about right in a normal year. He is basically a poor man’s Hoffman and Hoffman got a 2nd back in the day (although with weird circumstances).

But I just don’t see the teams out there that would pay a 2nd out there this year.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Boston 1st looks tasty. VO scores 40 for the Leafs. Replaces Nylander for $5m in cap savings (after retention).

Yum yum.

Caveat emptor.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yeah I think fans on here don’t really realize that it will probably be even harder to move salary this off-season and we will be seeing more Bjorkstrand deals where guys go for way less than they are worth.

I think a 2nd seems about right in a normal year. He is basically a poor man’s Hoffman and Hoffman got a 2nd back in the day (although with weird circumstances).

But I just don’t see the teams out there that would pay a 2nd out there this year.

With all the cap space Buffalo has and VO’s contract expiring next summer, I imagine the Sabres would be able and willing to retain if they move him.

Reactions: HOOats

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Look what Bjorkstrand got in return, and Oliver is the better and more complete player
Fair but that is a different situation - Columbus needed to move him for salary, cap reasons related to signing gaudreau - thus is not that situation. Also, it’s pretty wide acknowledge that Colombus got burned in that trade before OB even played a minute for the kraken ….

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
How many times do we have to watch poor even-strength teams stumble and bumble around in the playoffs before we get away from the concept that you can just list a player's goal totals and claim they have inherent value?

I do agree in a very certain situation (likely a bad team who just needs PP scoring), Olofsson can still find a home and I don't think he's some crazy negative value commodity. But his value is certainly very, very limited as is his market. Anything positive in a trade while freeing up a spot for a more effective player in the line-up is a complete win for the Sabres.

u5Vuf3P.png

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Well clearly you're hiding something because a -20 40 point winger isn't getting you a first.
I never said it was. I merely chuckled at the comment "maybe a 3rd", for a 27 yr old winger that's averaging 20 goals a seadon and just finished off a 28 goal campaign.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
If the cost is low enough, Ducks could take him with no retention. Henrique/Fantilli-Zegras-Olof 2nd line? It's not like the team plays defense anyways...

To clarify, Buffalo has absolutely 0 need to clear cap space--the point of moving Olofsson would mostly be to make room for one of Savoie/Kulich--so if we get more value by retaining, I have no reason to think we wouldn't.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Could he fetch a late first.
Half to eat half the cap to have even a shot at that. And Sabres should do just that.

With a caphit of 4.740M he is producing where he should be but has only 1 year remaining.

You might get a 2nd at the draft if you retain salary. Ir a 3rd straight up.
If we retain half is contract, he is easily worth a 2nd at $2.375 M.

Reactions: Yatzhee

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016
I never said it was. I merely chuckled at the comment "maybe a 3rd", for a 27 yr old winger that's averaging 20 goals a seadon and just finished off a 28 goal campaign.

Have you not been following the flat cap situation? No one is sending off anything of significant value for a guy who doesn't contribute in any areas other than being spoon fed goals. He's not getting a 1st, so I'm not sure why a 3rd is hard for you to accept.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad