Value of: Victor Oloffson at the deadline.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Buffalo hasn't been as bad as expected but I think we can all agree they aren't a playoff team.

Their most valuable trade chip up front is probably Victor Oloffson, there will probably be some hesitation to trade him and that's understandable but I don't think he's going to be in his prime when the Sabres are good there are to many holes on that roster.

I think their best course of action would be to trade him for future assets.

I think Victor Oloffson would generate significant interest

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
If I'm running the Sabres, Victor Olofsson is absolutely getting traded at some point before the deadline...
That's dumb, he's a RFA and is a valuable contributor. You see if he'll sign a 4 or 5yr deal for a reasonable salary especially as Buffalo will need to spend money next season. Better to spend on worthwhile players and jettison the flotsom on the roster as they bring in the Rochester forwards to replace the Eakin, Caggiula, Hinostroza, Hayden

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Because it worked so well last time the Sabres stripped it all to the bone…. Stupid idea

Are you not paying attention the Buffalo Sabres are burning that team to the ground they have 40 year old Craig Anderson, Aaron Dell and Dustin Tokarski in net.

There are 2 differences between the 2015 Sabres and the 2021 Sabres.

#1 the 2021 Sabres suck but they try the 2015 Sabres did not.

#2 the 2015 Sabres battled Edmonton in the tank bowl.

This year there is Vancouver, Arizona, Montreal Ottawa and Seattle also battleing Buffalo in the 2021 tank bowl

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'm not gonna say "not available", as someone might overpay for him. But unless we're talking an unprotected 2022 1st and a prospect......there's no way Buffalo moves him.

Right now, he's our best weapon on the PP (which has been putrid since he got hurt) and a steady 5v5 contributor. He's still RFA and likely a guy Buffalo wants to extend long term. And he's improved basically every year since he's been in NA.

Not interested in moving him in the slightest outside of a godfather offer.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He pretty much unavailable right now.

I expect Buffalo to sign him to a 5 yr contract this offseason.

if he refuses to sign then they will be trading him.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not gonna say "not available", as someone might overpay for him. But unless we're talking an unprotected 2022 1st and a prospect......there's no way Buffalo moves him.

Right now, he's our best weapon on the PP (which has been putrid since he got hurt) and a steady 5v5 contributor. He's still RFA and likely a guy Buffalo wants to extend long term. And he's improved basically every year since he's been in NA.

Not interested in moving him in the slightest outside of a godfather offer.

I think you probably can 2022 1st for him and I think you should because by the time Buffalo is good he's going to be at least 30.

This isn't a short term rebuild they are starting over from square 0, not even square 1, square 0 there are A LOT of holes on this roster.

They NEED Shane Wright, I don't know if they get him because Arizona is a different level of bad.

But Buffalo NEEDS Shane Wright

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
I think you probably can 2022 1st for him and I think you should because by the time Buffalo is good he's going to be at least 30.

This isn't a short term rebuild they are starting over from square 0, not even square 1, square 0 there are A LOT of holes on this roster.

They NEED Shane Wright, I don't know if they get him because Arizona is a different level of bad.

No Buffalo doesn't need Wright, they could use a Wright but he's not a game changing elite 1C. What Buffalo needs more than anything is a top pairing RHD as that's the gaping hole in their prospects.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
That's dumb, he's a RFA and is a valuable contributor. You see if he'll sign a 4 or 5yr deal for a reasonable salary especially as Buffalo will need to spend money next season. Better to spend on worthwhile players and jettison the flotsom on the roster as they bring in the Rochester forwards to replace the Eakin, Caggiula, Hinostroza, Hayden

Let's say they deal Olofsson for a 1st rd pick

And then with that available cap space they were going to spend on Olofsson, they use it to take on a cap dump and get another 1st rd pick for doing so

Fast forward 2 years, are the Sabres better off with Olofsson?

Or those 2 1st rd picks just starting their ELC + the additional cap space they'd have as the cap dump comes off their payroll?

I'll take the second option... as dumb as that may seem

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Let's say they deal Olofsson for a 1st rd pick

And then with that available cap space they were going to spend on Olofsson, they use it to take on a cap dump and get another 1st rd pick for doing so

Fast forward 2 years, are the Sabres better off with Olofsson?

Or those 2 1st rd picks just starting their ELC + the additional cap space they'd have as the cap dump comes off their payroll?

I'll take the second option... as dumb as that may seem
So needing to spend money you'd have them trade a good player that likes Buffalo for a scratch off that might be as good or can produce in 3 or 4yrs, and to take on a cap dump for another scratch off. All the while, Buffalo's young core will see them not trying to compete which of course does a great job of enamoring them to the city / organization.

I realize people really don't follow Buffalo except to defecate on them and enjoy their misery, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Right now they're competitive missing their 1C, 1RW, 1LW, 1RD and 1G. Sabres fans are looking forward to January when they can run out
Skinner Mitts Tuch
Asplund Thompson Oloffson
Girgs Cozens Okposo
Bjork Roustslainen Hinostroza

Then next year the entire line 4 drops in favor of Quinn Krebs Peterka. Add in Owen Power, use all that cap space on a RHD and goalie upgrade then see

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No Buffalo doesn't need Wright, they could use a Wright but he's not a game changing elite 1C. What Buffalo needs more than anything is a top pairing RHD as that's the gaping hole in their prospects.

They have to completely rebuild their center position.

Wright would be a good piece of their center core

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So needing to spend money you'd have them trade a good player that likes Buffalo for a scratch off that might be as good or can produce in 3 or 4yrs, and to take on a cap dump for another scratch off. All the while, Buffalo's young core will see them not trying to compete which of course does a great job of enamoring them to the city / organization.

I realize people really don't follow Buffalo except to defecate on them and enjoy their misery, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Right now they're competitive missing their 1C, 1RW, 1LW, 1RD and 1G. Sabres fans are looking forward to January when they can run out
Skinner Mitts Tuch
Asplund Thompson Oloffson
Girgs Cozens Okposo
Bjork Roustslainen Hinostroza

Then next year the entire line 4 drops in favor of Quinn Krebs Peterka. Add in Owen Power, use all that cap space on a RHD and goalie upgrade then see

They don't have a 1C, 1G, 1RW, 1LW OR a 1 RD regardless if they are healthy or not

Even Oloffson is probably closer to a 2nd line winger

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003

Why do they have to? Mittlestadt was very effective as a C last season when Granato put him where he belongs, just sucks Gallagher broke his wrist game 1. Thompson, especially with Asplund and Olofsson has been statistically dominant and seems to be that 40-60pt 2/3C. You have Cozens at all of 20yo was given the McDavid / Crosby responsibility, and then you have Krebs in the AHL playing with Quinn and Peterka.

Well if you figure that Thompson is the grey beard out of the group at 24, Mitts at 22, with Krebs and Cozens slowing from artritis at 20 you can argue how it's paramount they trade them all for a slight chance at Wright

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
They don't have a 1C, 1G, 1RW, 1LW OR a 1 RD regardless if they are healthy or not

Even Oloffson is probably closer to a 2nd line winger
I see reading is hard, what part of THEIR 1C etc implied relative to rest of the league but if it makes you feel better their 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D and rocking chair bound goalie

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown

I would agree that they don't have a true 1C but to say that Buffalo needs to completely rebuild their center ice position is absurd.

Add in that buffalo already has 3 picks in the 1st round this year why would they deal Olofsson for a late 1st unless he simply wants to leave.
If you have watched how Kevyn Adams operates he traded all the players who wanted out and made a point of talking up his young players like Olofsson. They have no plans to trade him unless he wants out. This team is not as bad as people think.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

2017- 7th overall Casey Mittlestadt (C)
2019- 7th overall Dylan Cozens (C)
2019- 17th overall Peyton Krebs (C)

We also have 3 1st round picks this year. We will be fine.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
He pretty much unavailable right now.

I expect Buffalo to sign him to a 5 yr contract this offseason.

if he refuses to sign then they will be trading him.
Why would Buffalo even want to re-sign him as opposed to selling high? Buffalo will be lucky to be a contender in 5 years.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I mean the highest probability (by a far margin) is neither Arizona or Buffalo gets Shane Wright. It's such flawed logic.

Reactions: Zman5778

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Sabres need a functional competitive team for the upcoming youngsters to step into more than they need additional draft picks or prospects.

If some GM feels inclined to grossly overpay for Olofsson, GM Kevyn should definitely listen. But as a general rule, the Sabres are not in the business of trading away good young talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad