Confirmed Trade: [VGK/NJD] Alexander Holtz and Akira Schmid for Paul Cotter and 2025 3rd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Welcome to the "overpay for a needed bottom 6er" club, Jersey.
The worst part of this trade is admitting that they f***ed up a recent top-10 pick. When you look at the actual value the players carry in June 2024, the deal makes a lot more sense.

Maybe Holtz figures it out in Vegas. It was never going to work in Jersey. He took way too many shifts off and couldn't be trusted at ES. He struggles to keep up with the play and makes way too many mental errors.

MWagg72

May 9, 2021
Really hope holtz finds his game in Vegas though. The trade is whatever, the bigger problem is just how bad of a miss that was in the draft. That was a really good draft in that area and the devils totally bricked it
People do say get more darts to throw when talking about draft picks. Luckily, we had three 1st round darts in that draft and Mercer and Muk had better aim.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I truly cannot see what Vegas' vision is. Not that Cotter is some unrecoverable loss but they moved two solid performers for picks and projects.

Neither of these moves really helps the cap situation so I don't f***ing get it

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
The team DESPISES him. He's gotta have the shittiest attitude on earth or something

Ruff / Green and Fitz clearly hated him. I was kinda hoping he would get at least a camp with Keefe to see if the new coaching staff holds the same feeling. Maybe Keefe already saw the tapes and told Fitz “I don’t need to give that another shot”.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
1. I never said he played under Keefe. I said he wanted nothing to do with him.
2. Holtz played the same way under Green. Lost and no hustle. Didn't deserve a meaningful opportunity.
Yeah why give opportunity to young player they should just step in and produce....It's the nhl right so easy anyone can do it

Reactions: nugg

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Well seems like the Flames pro scouts wanted Bahl over Holtz. Will be interesting to see if Holtz breaks out

This was my thought once I saw this.

Clearly the scouting staff wasn’t a huge fan, and clearly the rest of the league felt the same

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
This has potential to be worse than Erat for Forsberg...

I truly cannot see what Vegas' vision is. Not that Cotter is some unrecoverable loss but they moved two solid performers for picks and projects.

What the f*** do you not get? They got younger and better potential. Vegas is still loaded all around.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Cotter for Holtz is mostly useless for mostly useless but with potential, and who is more scoring minded which Vegas needs. They got an extra goalie prospect who looks good. They added possibly 400k total.

Thompson wanted a trade and they did the best they could with Schmid's potential to be good enough while also being cheap. They can make trades in season if need be.

The only thing I question is the choosing Hill over Thompson, I just think they're too in love with Hill for what he may bring going forward.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Cotter for Holtz is mostly useless for mostly useless but with potential, and who is more scoring minded which Vegas needs. They got an extra goalie prospect who looks good. They added possibly 400k total.

Thompson wanted a trade and they did the best they could with Schmid's potential to be good enough while also being cheap. They can make trades in season if need be.

The only thing I question is the choosing Hill over Thompson, I just think they're too in love with Hill for what he may bring going forward.

Hill got them their Cup; that holds a lot of weight. Schmid is solid as a backup.
Vegas is easily the best run organization when it comes to asset management.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Fitz has shown he's not afraid to jettison off young players with potential that have bad work ethics and/or attitudes for established veterans that will more likely buy in to the coach's system.

Zacha for Haula comes to mind. Zacha found a second life in Boston and that deal is starting to look bad for Fitz, and if Holtz does similar with Vegas it's going to look bad as well.

Me personally, I'm okay getting rid of these types of players for those that will continue to help establish a culture in Jersey.
The Devils have the luxury of being able to get rid of skill for grit, based on the current roster.

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
The team DESPISES him. He's gotta have the shittiest attitude on earth or something
Maybe he's like every HFBoard member and constantly reminds his teammates of his draft position.

Gonna be honest, draft position is one of the stupidest ways to value a player. He didn't work out. And now he's gone. Good riddance. Now he'll probably tear it up in Vegas, lol.

Reactions: RANDOMH3RO

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Fitz must have yelled out this one in his sleep and Vegas managment was at the same hotel and record it.Absolut brutal trade for Devils

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad