Confirmed Trade: [VGK/NJD] Alexander Holtz and Akira Schmid for Paul Cotter and 2025 3rd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Fitz dumping all the scapegoats to try and save his job
I'm not sure his job is in any real danger right now though.

Fitz seems like he has a very clear direction he wants to go and holtz definitely didn't fit that. He talked a lot about not being vanilla up front and wanting to get more violent. This is definitely a trade in that direction.

Reactions: RANDOMH3RO

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I'm not sure his job is in any real danger right now though.

Fitz seems like he has a very clear direction he wants to go and holtz definitely didn't fit that. He talked a lot about not being vanilla up front and wanting to get more violent. This is definitely a trade in that direction.
NJ misses the playoffs he definitely gets fired

Reactions: ninetyeight

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
as a vegas fan i kind of hate this deal. cotter was a really key part of their bottom 6 and he's signed cheap for two more seasons. holtz is gonna have to beat out stone, hertl/karlsson, barbashev, dorofeyev and maybe marchessault and even potentially brisson for a spot in the top six and i just don't think he's that good? i guess he's reasonable insurance if stone can't play and marchessault walks

schmid is whatever. i guess he's still reasonably young for a goalie

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Cotter is a poor man’s power forward. He can move and hit and occasionally displays hands but anybody expecting a two-way winger is gonna be disappointed. He’s potentially a new Miles Wood more than anything.

Anybody comparing him to Tom Wilson or thinking he’s some secret prize is just trying too hard to be a hockey hipster fan.

Reactions: spfan and without

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
as a vegas fan i kind of hate this deal. cotter was a really key part of their bottom 6 and he's signed cheap for two more seasons. holtz is gonna have to beat out stone, hertl/karlsson, barbashev, dorofeyev and maybe marchessault and even potentially brisson for a spot in the top six and i just don't think he's that good? i guess he's reasonable insurance if stone can't play and marchessault walks
Yeah I think he's insurance. High upside/ceiling young player for a team that loves to trade away 1st rounders. Bottom 6 guys can be found for relatively cheap via trade, waivers, and free agency.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

schmid is whatever. i guess he's still reasonably young for a goalie

I like Cotter but no he was not. He was a healthy scratch for every single playoff game the past 2 years.

Holtz is a good cheap risk to take. Currently the only RW under contract are Stone and Kolesar. Holtz is going to get a chance to play in the top 9 with either Karlsson or Hertl as his center.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
I thought Holtz had some legit value, I hate this trade for NJD
He's Alex Nylander Jr

Devils fans blamed Ruff for ruining him, but he looked the same under Green & Keefe obviously wanted nothing to do with him. Looks like the report that Flames preferred Bahl over Holtz was right too.

NHL GMs valued him far differently than some Devils fans did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad