Claimed off Waivers: [VGK] Golden Knights claim Raphael Lavoie off waivers from the Oilers - assigned to AHL

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
fha-so-why-is-there-a-the-simpsons-stop-stop-hes-already-v0-5p6yln7zbv6c1~2.png

Reactions: Dutronc and Eegs

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I don't know how it makes "no sense", you're right that there are other potential reasons, but to completely rule out collusion as a possibility seems naive. We're what.. a year removed from a team lying about a player's no trade clause.
I mean even if you believe that that might’ve happened it I see no way the league would be able to prove it

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
NHL should at least do some due diligence here to see if it was collusion. It's kinda fishy someone else made a claim forcing Edmonton to put him back on Waivers but then let Vegas claim him back into the AHL.

We're obviously talking about the margins here, but Edmonton basically lost an AHL prospect for nothing. Feels like it could have been Vegas going "hey, we'll scratch your back if you scratch ours here"
This for sure happened.

Reactions: nturn06

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Calgary would've gotten him if they had put in a claim. It was one of Colorado, Boston, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Florida, Carolina, Dallas, or Rangers.

I think that Edmonton would have first priority because it was a player they lost on waivers. Could have been any other team.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The whole point of waivers is to have NHL talent exposed for other NHL teams to take. It's not for re-stocking your farm system.
This is brutal for the Oilers. He should be forced to stay on Vegas's pro roster.
Exactly. The waiver system is to help NHL ready guys not stay buried in the system on stacked teams. If Lavoie is going to be in the AHL, it should be with Edmonton. If other teams want him, they should have to keep him in the NHL.

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
I love when a situation that never happened before suddenly happens and we get to learn about how it truly works.

In this case waivers.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm super interested in hearing who put a waiver claim in on Lavioe yesterday but didn't put a claim in on him today. The only reason the Oilers weren't able to send him down is because someone else put in a waiver claim when they re-claimed Lavoie.

Would have been hilarious if it was Vancouver just screwing with the Oilers.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
No, they wouldn't have first priority. Not how waivers work.

Yeah I can't really find any official source that states that. From what I can see it's a misconception that gets repeated that I've now contributed to. I should have been more clear that I wasn't confident in that or asked it as a question.

Reactions: theslatcher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad