Claimed off Waivers: [VGK] Golden Knights claim Raphael Lavoie off waivers from the Oilers - assigned to AHL

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Gotcha... so Edmonton claimed him with the intent of assigning, but someone else also claimed so they had to keep him up or re-waive. They chose to re-waive. But this mysterious third team changed didn't claim this time, so Vegas was able to re-claim and automatically assign?

Who was the third team..? Calgary?

The third team had to be higher in the standings as of last year.

Panthers
Bruins
Rangers
Hurricanes
Stars
Jets
Avs
Canucks

Reactions: WarriorofTime

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
According to PuckPedia the Oilers have over 1M in LTIR relief and a roster spot. Why didn't they just keep him in the pressbox?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If he could, we wouldn't be waiving him, ha ha.

Another bonus for grabbing a winger who can't play C to play 4C, right?
My mistake. When I posted that I believed he was a center because that's what he's listed as on hockeydb I think it was. Looks like he was drafted as a center and his first season with the Condors thats what he's listed as.
So apparently he can play center... he just hasnt played it for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: ManofSteel55

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
NHL should at least do some due diligence here to see if it was collusion. It's kinda fishy someone else made a claim forcing Edmonton to put him back on Waivers but then let Vegas claim him back into the AHL.

We're obviously talking about the margins here, but Edmonton basically lost an AHL prospect for nothing. Feels like it could have been Vegas going "hey, we'll scratch your back if you scratch ours here"

Yes cause the NHL has a track record of doing due diligence when it comes to Vegas and grey areas

Reactions: Oryxo and CapSpace

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
NHL should at least do some due diligence here to see if it was collusion. It's kinda fishy someone else made a claim forcing Edmonton to put him back on Waivers but then let Vegas claim him back into the AHL.

We're obviously talking about the margins here, but Edmonton basically lost an AHL prospect for nothing. Feels like it could have been Vegas going "hey, we'll scratch your back if you scratch ours here"
OTOH, the rule is favourable for players on the margins of some teams. Theoretically, they are closer to making the NHL on the team that claims them.

I haven't seen much of Lavoie but I have seen a lot of Corey Perry in his twilight years, and I can't imagine that Lavoie would be much worse. It's a bit self inflicted.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This feels like the sort of tomfoolery with a stupid "loophole" that will actually get some potential traction with the NHLPA. The whole purpose of the waivers system is ostensibly to give NHL caliber players an opportunity with another NHL team, if their own organization doesn't have room for them.

What Vegas pulled here, is in pretty blatant circumvention of that process.

Reactions: Oryxo

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
OTOH, the rule is favourable for players on the margins of some teams. Theoretically, they are closer to making the NHL on the team that claims them.

I haven't seen much of Lavoie but I have seen a lot of Corey Perry in his twilight years, and I can't imagine that Lavoie would be much worse. It's a bit self inflicted.
Yeah Waivers is good for players to not get stashed into the AHL beyond a certain point if another team is interested in giving them an NHL job. The "point" of a Waiver system though isn't for one team to steal another team's AHL player.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I'm super interested in hearing who put a waiver claim in on Lavioe yesterday but didn't put a claim in on him today. The only reason the Oilers weren't able to send him down is because someone else put in a waiver claim when they re-claimed Lavoie.

Would have been hilarious if it was Vancouver just screwing with the Oilers.
My guess is the Avs, when Kahkonen ended up getting waived, they decided to run with 3 goalies instead.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Someone needs to do a skit on his week. So many funny possibilities. Example he’s at the counter getting a flight ticket and has to keep changing every time his cell phone dings

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
Has this specific set of facts happened before?
It's like when the 1st high-paid player that was on LTIR came back in the playoffs only. Or when the 1st player got its contract terminated due to a breach aka wrong behavior.

Or in this case losing a young prospect for nothing in a very specific chain of events through waivers, who was then directly assigned to a competitve team's farm.

As far as I know, it had never ever happened ever in the history of the universe, and then it did.

Fascinating!

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Personally, I believe whether the third team intended to claim Lavoie and changed their mind, did it specifically to mess with the Oilers, or were subject to a backroom deal, I think this goes against the spirit of the CBA which is to put the original contracted team into the position to assign the player to the AHL if nobody else wants him in the NHL... and I believe Vegas should be in the same position they were in they were in on October 7th, of either keeping Lavoie up or putting him back on Waivers.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I don't have any skin in the game, but I don't see how the league views this situation as fair. Neither Vegas nor Edmonton wants to keep him in the NHL, so why should Vegas be allowed to put him directly in the minors, while the team that drafted him can't?

I understand the purpose of waivers, but this seems like something that should be changed. Teams that draft and develop players should be able to keep the player in their system, as long as no other team is willing to play them in the NHL.

Last edited:

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
There's ice in the press box?
Why keep him on the nhl roster if he can’t play the game at a nhl level lol. Hope he does well but bet he won’t cut it. Has had 5 training camps to work on his speed/angles/positioning and he hasn’t. Oilers wanted him in the ahl where he belongs. Keeping him on the roster would have been stupid

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
According to PuckPedia the Oilers have over 1M in LTIR relief and a roster spot. Why didn't they just keep him in the pressbox?
I think they are trying to generate as much cap as possible.

Edm can’t catch a break lately. Lol
I mean, when you prioritize over age vets, this is the outcome. It’s also not like Lavoie is a “huge” loss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad