Claimed off Waivers: [COL] Avalanche claim G Kaapo Kahkonen off waivers from the Jets

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Avs missing out on getting a real goalie instead of Georgiev probably cost them an extra cup or 2. That team is damn good except in net.
Not really at all. There depth is awful with Landy and Nikushkin out. They have 2 sick forwards 1 sick D and another good one. That’s it. Not a good team at all really.

• Haha
Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I was halfway joking in the other thread when asking if he was better than Fourgiev, but management sees that goaltending is a big problem right now.
I was halfway joking too with my response, but Kahkonen was good before and after the tire fire that is San Jose. It’s a decent gamble for the avs IMO.

Reactions: jonu and Puckstop40

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I was halfway joking too with my response, but Kahkonen was good before and after the tire fire that is San Jose. It’s a decent gamble for the avs IMO.
He was not good before San Jose, he was still young but very bad with MN behind some of the best D the franchise has ever had. The Wild played Alex Stalock over him, then had to acquire Cam Talbot and Fleury because he lost all trust and would give up weak goals in bunches. I know the advanced stats aren’t horrible, but eye test and real world hockey coaches did not see him as even a backup solution long term.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I mean Kahkonen kinda sucks, but at least he sucks for league minimum?

I don't really see how this helps the Avs, and I'm not a Georgiev fan

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
For those interested, this cost Colorado $15,000, paid to Winnipeg and not counted against the cap.

Total number of claims: 10
Total compensation: $387,750

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
For those interested, this cost Colorado $15,000, paid to Winnipeg and not counted against the cap.

Total number of claims: 10
Total compensation: $387,750
1728681530524.jpeg

benfranklin

Jun 29, 2024
cant hurt to try but also dont understand why the avs dont take goaltending seriously.
Cap is a thing...

They won with meh goaltending proving its not required. You can also argue their last two seasons couldve went deeper if a certain someone didnt have a drug problem. Goaltending wasnt the issue.

Avs missing out on getting a real goalie instead of Georgiev probably cost them an extra cup or 2. That team is damn good except in net.
Goaltending wasnt their issues with either of their losses against the kraken nor the Stars. It was depth scoring, which you can argue quite easily Landeskog and Nuke wouldve brought more than enough to get by those two series. You can stretch it to they could be going for their 4th Cup in a row right now.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Cap is a thing...

They won with meh goaltending proving its not required. You can also argue their last two seasons couldve went deeper if a certain someone didnt have a drug problem. Goaltending wasnt the issue.

Goaltending wasnt their issues with either of their losses against the kraken nor the Stars. It was depth scoring, which you can argue quite easily Landeskog and Nuke wouldve brought more than enough to get by those two series. You can stretch it to they could be going for their 4th Cup in a row right now.

Ehhhhhh. You could easily make the argument in the Seattle series in particular, that Georgiev was a big reason they lost.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Ehhhhhh. You could easily make the argument in the Seattle series in particular, that Georgiev was a big reason they lost.
I think you can quibble on Georgievs play in both post-seasons. For me he's not the #1 culprit why we have gone out in either years. Probably not even the #2 culprit.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
At a 1 million cap hit it's a fine bet. They should try riding annunen and kahkonen for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad