Waived: [VGK] Golden Knights claim F Raphael Lavoie off waivers from the Oilers | Back to Waivers

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He was already waived again, so Colorado's roster has nothing to do with that.

If Edmonton claims him back and no other team put a claim, I think Oilers can sent him to AHL without waivers.
What I mean is that Colorado could claim. I'm not sure about their cap situation though, but Lavoie would be an upgrade on a couple of guys on that roster.

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
What I mean is that Colorado could claim. I'm not sure about their cap situation though, but Lavoie would be an upgrade on a couple of guys on that roster.
Ah sorry, just woke up and I mixed Colorado and Vegas, somehow thought Colorado was the one who originally claimed him :laugh:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
okay my hand goes up..

For those who were here yesterday--a couple of oiler posters suggested Vegas would put him BACK on waivers and they were called delusional(in posts that have some how vanished)--I said only a few oiler posters thought that and the most thought Vegas would keep--turns out the delusional posters knew what they were talking about

Will be interesting if the oilers reclaim him

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He was already waived again, so Colorado's roster has nothing to do with that.

If Edmonton claims him back and no other team put a claim, I think Oilers can sent him to AHL without waivers.
Not exactly sure how this works since Vegas claimed him off of Edmonton but wouldn't all 30 teams (not counting Vegas and Edmonton) have to pass on him before Edmonton can claim him and immediately send him to the AHL? And if nobody claims him and Edmonton doesn't either he goes to the Vegas AHL team..

okay my hand goes up..

For those who were here yesterday--a couple of oiler posters suggested Vegas would put him BACK on waivers and they were called delusional(in posts that have some how vanished)--I said only a few oiler posters thought that and the most thought Vegas would keep--turns out the delusional posters knew what they were talking about

Will be interesting if the oilers reclaim him
:baghead:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Not exactly sure how this works since Vegas claimed him off of Edmonton but wouldn't all 30 teams (not counting Vegas and Edmonton) have to pass on him before Edmonton can claim him and immediately send him to the AHL? And if nobody claims him and Edmonton doesn't either he goes to the Vegas AHL team..

:baghead:
Edmonton gets first dibs on him and can send him straight to the minors if they claim him. Only exception is if someone else puts in a claim then the oilers still get him but can’t send him down without him clearing waivers again.

Reactions: byrath and Rubi

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
That's a lot of word salad just to fluff up VGK management, so just to correct things Wright was not signed as a reaction to Lavoie it had everything to do to the exact amount to maximize our LTIR capspace when Evander Kane gets put on LTIR (and we did just that today) along with sending down Savoie and Wright to maximize our caproom.

Also Bowman already hit the radio and said Lavoie was in our plans and sounds very much like we have every intention of claiming him right back.
Not sure why people get all defensive, thinking something like this, somehow makes their team look bad, etc. It doesn’t. They’re just a victim of circumstance and that’s exactly what Vegas was looking for. Just as they pulled on Florida last year, and they’ll try on Calgary coming up here.

To pretend this isn’t exactly what Vegas is trying to do, is just being naive. They have a history of doing it. lol.

Of course it’s what they’re trying to do. They need to add younger players who can end up NHL players pretty soon. They’ve had to sign too many fringe prospects because they don’t have NHL trending, unsigned players. Which is a reason btw, Edmonton could also reclaim him, being in their own similar situation.

As soon as Calgary’s roster settles down, they’ll put Schwindt on waivers, trying to get him to Henderson as well.

To also pretend that Wright was always getting a contract, is just as naive. 25 is generally the cap on “AVAILABILE” forward contracts. Teams with more, either have a ton of early ELC kids within 2 years age (teams aren’t calling up), kids playing in Europe on ELCs, or “returned to junior” ELC kids.

They are at 25 contracts again with Wright. 26 reclaiming Lavoie, and who’s in Europe or the CHL? You need 2-3 guys you can call up during the season who WILL clear waivers. Players who likely won’t do anything but sit and collect NHL money on a long road trip, etc. Problem is, sometimes these same players are needed as AHL Veterans in their AHL lineup.

Lavoie was going to be one of those players this year IF he cleared waivers. A guy they could call up and down, not worrying about a claim.

So if you’re Vegas looking at it, it’s a prime situation to try this against a team. Then Edmonton signs a 25th contract right away? Lol

They couldn’t put Lavoie back on waivers quick enough, trying to get him into their system.

So absolutely, there’s every reason for Vegas to believe it was a reactionary signing. Even if it wasn’t, doesn’t change what Vegas is trying to do here.

The question tomorrow morning will be, will they put in a reclaim and go over the 25 contract level. If they do, they’ll now have a player in the AHL (Wright) who will likely never be recalled now. Which is a waste of a contract. Yet it’s Vegas who did this to them, so they may reclaim him (out of spite) just to stop Vegas from having him play in Henderson. Which I would 100% do btw. Especially knowing it’s exactly what Vegas is doing.

It’s funny how those disagreeing with me, aren’t offering up another logical reason why Vegas would put him back on waivers immediately, and conveniently fail to address they did the same exact thing last year with Denisenko. The couple of ridiculous reasons, aren’t mistakes a team like Vegas makes. It’s a mistake some moron playing a video game makes. The Knights want Lavoie in the AHL, and him clearing waivers would also give them some extra time to evaluate him in both situations. If Edmonton reclaims him, nothing lost but some time and pocket change.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
Of all the young players Edmonton has given up on I can't recall a single one that has pissed a drop on another team. Not like the days of losing Miroslov Satan and

1. Ethan Bear
2. Yamamoto
4. Lagesson
5. PUljujarvi
6. Caleb Jones

Jury is out on.
1. Reid Schaffer - Young, still lots of deliberation
2. Kesselring - I hear he's done quite will for himself in Arizona so maybe him?
3. Holloway - I'm really interested to see how he does with a much weaker forward depth team. Unique circumstance though.
4. Broberg - Another player I'm interested to see for obvious reasons. Unique circumstance though.
5. Bourgault - I'd be surprised if he amounts to anything in the NHL.

This list is more of a shot at Edmonton's piss poor drafting and development. They've sucked balls at it for the last 20 years.
We produce shit.. you should stay away from our young players haha.
Didn’t Taylor hall win an MVP after being traded away?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Didn’t Taylor hall win an MVP after being traded away?

Well they didn't "give him away", that was a legitimate trade for a top pairing defender (Adam Larsson) who was a top 4 pick himself.

To be honest if you gave me the choice today of having either Hall or Larsson on my team, I'd take Larsson. Hall had that one monster season but the rest of his career has been a bit of a wishy washy tale of hurt or under performing.

Guys like Bear and Yamamoto though are guys who have washed out of the Oilers system.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Not sure why people get all defensive, thinking something like this, somehow makes their team look bad, etc. It doesn’t. They’re just a victim of circumstance and that’s exactly what Vegas was looking for. Just as they pulled on Florida last year, and they’ll try on Calgary coming up here.

To pretend this isn’t exactly what Vegas is trying to do, is just being naive. They have a history of doing it. lol.

Of course it’s what they’re trying to do. They need to add younger players who can end up NHL players pretty soon. They’ve had to sign too many fringe prospects because they don’t have NHL trending, unsigned players. Which is a reason btw, Edmonton could also reclaim him, being in their own similar situation.

As soon as Calgary’s roster settles down, they’ll put Schwindt on waivers, trying to get him to Henderson as well.

To also pretend that Wright was always getting a contract, is just as naive. 25 is generally the cap on “AVAILABILE” forward contracts. Teams with more, either have a ton of early ELC kids within 2 years age (teams aren’t calling up), kids playing in Europe on ELCs, or “returned to junior” ELC kids.

They are at 25 contracts again with Wright. 26 reclaiming Lavoie, and who’s in Europe or the CHL? You need 2-3 guys you can call up during the season who WILL clear waivers. Players who likely won’t do anything but sit and collect NHL money on a long road trip, etc. Problem is, sometimes these same players are needed as AHL Veterans in their AHL lineup.

Lavoie was going to be one of those players this year IF he cleared waivers. A guy they could call up and down, not worrying about a claim.

So if you’re Vegas looking at it, it’s a prime situation to try this against a team. Then Edmonton signs a 25th contract right away? Lol

They couldn’t put Lavoie back on waivers quick enough, trying to get him into their system.

So absolutely, there’s every reason for Vegas to believe it was a reactionary signing. Even if it wasn’t, doesn’t change what Vegas is trying to do here.

The question tomorrow morning will be, will they put in a reclaim and go over the 25 contract level. If they do, they’ll now have a player in the AHL (Wright) who will likely never be recalled now. Which is a waste of a contract. Yet it’s Vegas who did this to them, so they may reclaim him (out of spite) just to stop Vegas from having him play in Henderson. Which I would 100% do btw. Especially knowing it’s exactly what Vegas is doing.

It’s funny how those disagreeing with me, aren’t offering up another logical reason why Vegas would put him back on waivers immediately, and conveniently fail to address they did the same exact thing last year with Denisenko. The couple of ridiculous reasons, aren’t mistakes a team like Vegas makes. It’s a mistake some moron playing a video game makes. The Knights want Lavoie in the AHL, and him clearing waivers would also give them some extra time to evaluate him in both situations. If Edmonton reclaims him, nothing lost but some time and pocket change.
This isn't me being defensive about it making my team look bad, it's entirely about you not knowing what you are talking about.

Bottom line is Cameron Wright is a 26 year old hockey player who just battled his way out of the ECHL and gained a touch of traction in the AHL last year, there is no one in their right mind who sees him as Lavoie replacement in the near term and he does not have the leverage or the track record to justify a $952K cap-hit. To coincidentally sign Wright to that contract and to call up Savoie who we already sent down in a clear paper transaction and the combination of those 2 very specific moves put us exactly $53 below the line to maxout the spending of E. Kane's LTIR cap-hit (while also putting us in position to accrue cap space till we do replace him).

Everyone in the hockey world knew why we called up Savoie and why we signed Wright to exactly that amount and it zero to do with Lavoie, Full Stop, any argument to the contrary is just stupidity.

If you want to glaze VGK management go ahead, but the Wright signing was in no-way reactionary to VGK claiming Lavoie, the org likes the player he's got some intangibles, but that signing was clearly done for cap shenanigans purposes.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Man I didn't know Edmonton traded Bourgault too. Lol perhaps he wouldn't have amounted to anything anyway but sheesh, losing Broberg, Holloway and Bourgault in one summer? On top of trading Reid Shaefer the year before? What prospects do they even have now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad