Proposal: Vegas & Utah

Who wins?

• Total voters

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Utah fan coming in hot with a half baked, goofy trade idea. Sounds like Vegas wants Korczak in the lineup every night and wants some more cap flexibility. I’ve seen Whitecloud trade speculation. I have a bit of a hare-brained scheme I wanted to share and get feedback (flamed) on.

To VGK
Michael Carcone (50% ret.)
Victor Soderstrom
‘25 NYR 3rd (prev.acqd.)

To UTA
Zach Whitecloud

Carcone would carry just a 0.3875aav hit. He scored 21 goals for Arizona last season, while playing in their bottom six. He’s already 28 and is a late bloomer. He’s a bit undersized but don’t let that fool you, he’s got a deadly one-punch knockout right hand (peep hockeyfights.com). He may be a flash in the pan. Or he may actually have a career. Not sure. It’s a gamble. But I figured Vegas might find extra value in the concept of a roster player with a $387,500aav. An interesting novelty, anyway.

Soderstrom is just cheap depth. 11th overall pick 5yrs ago and hasn’t managed to hang onto an NHL job. Change-of-scenery, last-ditch-effort kind of gamble. He might turn into something. He might not. Usually these high end picks trending the wrong way have a tiny bit of residual value at this stage of their career.

The 2nd is nearly two years away and likely late in the round. It’s just a future trade deadline chip, nothing more.

Thoughts? Insults?

EDIT: changed 2nd to 3rd to see if Utah gets more votes.

Last edited:

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
I didn't know Whitecloud carried that kind of value

He should as he's a cheap 4/5D signed long term. He'd be the best player in this deal and there is cost certainty. From a Vegas perspective that matters quite a bit and is honestly one of the major reasons I would rather move Theodore.

Reactions: WhataKnight

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Soderstrom has never really impressed me. If he couldn't crack a Coyotes blueline that featured 51 games of Josh Brown last season that's not a great sign either. Still pretty young and his AHL numbers are alright. I dunno value wise I'd say that's decent for Vegas but I think they lose this trade long term. Whitecloud is a huge PIA to play against.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
It's not that bad of an offer. If I was Vegas, I would probably hold out for the 2nd rounder. Maybe even add a 5th rounder to Whitecloud and demand that the 3rd becomes a 2nd. Something like that.

Overall though, me quarterback GMing Vegas would involve keeping Whitecloud and trading McNabb or Hutton instead. Theodore would be an option as well, but not if it made the team worse. Would have to be a hockey trade.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Soderstrom has never really impressed me. If he couldn't crack a Coyotes blueline that featured 51 games of Josh Brown last season that's not a great sign either. Still pretty young and his AHL numbers are alright. I dunno value wise I'd say that's decent for Vegas but I think they lose this trade long term. Whitecloud is a huge PIA to play against.
Soderstrom is meant to represent like a 4th or 5th round pick.

It's not that bad of an offer. If I was Vegas, I would probably hold out for the 2nd rounder. Maybe even add a 5th rounder to Whitecloud and demand that the 3rd becomes a 2nd. Something like that.

Overall though, me quarterback GMing Vegas would involve keeping Whitecloud and trading McNabb or Hutton instead. Theodore would be an option as well, but not if it made the team worse. Would have to be a hockey trade.
Thanks. Great feedback!

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
I think Carcone at 50% is an interesting deal for any cap strapped contender.

If VGK want to move out Whitecloud, I could see this deal being realistic, but seems their fans want to move a different defender.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
How much of a gap even is there between Whitecloud and Kesselring?

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
How much of a gap even is there between Whitecloud and Kesselring?
Gap? Whitecloud is the better defensive player and with the moves GMBA has done this off-season in preparation for this upcoming season, that is the priority.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Gap? Whitecloud is the better defensive player and with the moves GMBA has done this off-season in preparation for this upcoming season, that is the priority.
Just seems like Kesselring could develop into a similar or even better player within a year or two. I’d rather see what he can do than give up assets for Whitecloud especially when Durzi and Marino will be ahead of him on the depth chart.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Vegas wins that deal. I don't think Whitecloud has that much value.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If that's "all" it took for ZW I think some other team would swoop in with a 2nd+

Carcone seems like a decent gamble, especially retained but I don't know how much value Soderstrom has league wide when he hasn't been able to crack a weak (on paper at least) Coyotes defence.

Value is fine, I just think a few GM's would overpay for a 6'2 RHD with a cup ring.

Reactions: WhataKnight

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
Vegas wins that deal. I don't think Whitecloud has that much value.

Carcone is the only value in this deal for Vegas. Soderstrom isn't touching the ice in gold. A 3rd is rather meaningless. The only reason to move a quality 4/5 D signed long term cheap, for this package, would be if they need to for a spot for Korczak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad