Votes: 69 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
If there is an overall positive regression from the players that cratered between the two seasons, this team is probably in. Assuming goaltending holds up.

Bet on Detroit and Ottawa missing just like always. Islanders are cooked. Washington is meh, even with their offseason.

Tampa is probably cooked too.
Last time I thought a team was cooked was when Boston lost Bergy. I won't make that mistake again.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
If there is an overall positive regression from the players that cratered between the two seasons, this team is probably in. Assuming goaltending holds up.

Bet on Detroit and Ottawa missing just like always. Islanders are cooked. Washington is meh, even with their offseason.

Tampa is probably cooked too.
Just to be clear, we are betting on Ottawa and Detroit missing "like always" while predicting the team with the current record for missing the playoffs, makes it? Shouldn't we also be missing "like always"?

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
If all those things happen we’d be at or near the top of the conference. I think we just need a few of those to happen to make the playoffs.

Cozens/Tage return to form, Quinn/benson/Peterka producing, and UPL providing decent goaltending should get you in the playoffs
The kid wings will be the X factor. Of course you need your centers to produce but if you see a big step from one or god willing, two of the kids, the Sabres will be difficult to deal with.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Last year I said yes because I expected a young group to all incrementally get better. Dave Brailsford and the British Cycling team.

I stand by my yes and for the same reasons.

Reactions: rams

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I was convinced that they were gonna make the playoffs last year, so I'm not going to let an injury-riddled year cloud my thoughts.

Aside from hoping they have better health, this year they should have:
  • Better coaching
  • Better goaltending
  • Better team defense
  • Better Power Play
  • A real energy line to drag them into the fight on a near nightly basis
My only real concerns are health and the assistant coaches. Hoping that neither is a large issue, we make the wild card.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
The Sabres will be a better team but we might be even further away from the playoffs. Other eastern teams might improve faster.
Adams isn't really a competetive GM and we're not a cap team trying to win.

We need a lot of luck to make the playoffs the coming years.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I’m not up on cycling, what’s the story?
Neither am I but he's famed for applying the theory of improvement via incremental gains. Stack fractions of a percentage of improvement on top of each other and you eventually end up with noticeable differences.

He'd do things like get the athletes to bring their pillows with them on tour to have better sleep. He painted their work areas and truck interiors white so dirt would show up so they could keep things cleaner. He got them better seats so they'd be more comfortable. He got lighter tyres. He improved the riders' nutrition.

They went from a joke, to raking in medal after medal at the Olympics.

If our team can all just get a tiny bit better, then the total of those improvements can be huge.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I was convinced that they were gonna make the playoffs last year, so I'm not going to let an injury-riddled year cloud my thoughts.

Aside from hoping they have better health, this year they should have:
  • Better coaching
  • Better goaltending
  • Better team defense
  • Better Power Play
  • A real energy line to drag them into the fight on a near nightly basis
My only real concerns are health and the assistant coaches. Hoping that neither is a large issue, we make the wild card.
I think what I cling to is watching the team actually dominate on the ice sometimes against very good teams, granted not nearly as often last season. The injuries, poor coaching and uninspired play turned out to be a wasted season and we're back hoping. The ability is in there somewhere though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Neither am I but he's famed for applying the theory of improvement via incremental gains. Stack fractions of a percentage of improvement on top of each other and you eventually end up with noticeable differences.

He'd do things like get the athletes to bring their pillows with them on tour to have better sleep. He painted their work areas and truck interiors white so dirt would show up so they could keep things cleaner. He got them better seats so they'd be more comfortable. He got lighter tyres. He improved the riders' nutrition.

They went from a joke, to raking in medal after medal at the Olympics.

If our team can all just get a tiny bit better, then the total of those improvements can be huge.

Sounds kinda kaizen

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sacrifices must be made.

sacrifice-shrek.gif

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
They. f***ing. Better. No other words of wisdom. There are reasons why they won't and reasons why they will. Only time will tell. It has been too f***ing long. It's time.

Reactions: Sabresbyswords104

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
They get 100 points and get in , winn first round and loose 4-3 next round.

No reasons this team
Should miss the playoffs. Pitts and caps out both this year

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
My early thoughts on the playoff race:

Buffalo's biggest issue is that the easiest path, finishing top 3 in the division, is essentially closed off. Florida, Boston, and Toronto. They all had 100+ point seasons last year. Boston has improved, Toronto is essentially the same, Florida will likely have some dropoff, but will still be an excellent team.

Tampa has the potential to crack the top 3, but they have to stay healthy and one of the top 3 teams has to drop.

For Buffalo to crack 100 pts, everything essentially has to go right. Career years all around, flawless goaltending, almost no injuries.

That puts Buffalo in a race in a race for one of the two wild card teams with Tampa, Detroit, Ottawa, likely NYI/Washington (assuming a top 3 of NYR/NJD/Carolina in the metro)

so that's 6 teams for 2 spots.

The only team I see as potentially stronger than the other 6 teams here is Tampa. As the team gets older, injuries become a bigger factor. But I'd rate them as the strongest roster of the 6 'bubble' contenders.

How PLD does with Washington probably is the biggest swing factor. Is he the PLD from LA or the PLD from WPG? Is there less or more pressure on him now? If Washington can get PLD to return to form, with their defensive overhaul, they could be the 2nd best roster of the six. Of course, if PLD bombs, then, well, they will be closer to a bottom 5 finish in the NHL than a top 16 finish.

After that, Detroit, Ottawa, Buffalo, and NYI are kind of all lumped together. NYI is probably the best equipped to just grind out enough points despite the aging roster. But, like most of the teams here, a few badly timed injuries perish them to the draft lotto. Pittsburgh could be in the same area too, but I think the issue is the players outside of their aging core just aren't good enough. Same with Philly to some extent.

I'd probably argue the Eastern Conference is:

(in any order)

Top 6:

Florida
Boston
Toronto
NYR
NJD
Carolina
Wild Card Favorites

Tampa
Washington

Wildcard Competitors (In any order)

NYI
Buffalo
Detroit
Ottawa

Wild Card longshots:

Pittsburgh
Philly

Wait for next year:

Montreal
Columbus

I'd weigh Buffalo's chances on the following:

1. One of two teams above them just having 'one of those years' where everything simply falls apart.
2. Performance of high salary players on the Sabres (Dahlin/Thompson/Cozens/Power)
3. Injuries

If I had to weigh the odds:

1. 25% playoffs (93+ pts)
2. 50% Playoff bubble (87-92 pts)
3. 25% Lots of firings happening ( 86 pts or less)

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
I voted YES. They almost got in 2 years ago and last year it get to their head due to lack of maturity plus they were snakebitten from the beginning. I feel that the team has defined role players that will bring speed and good solid 5 on 5 play. The PK will definitely improve and the PP has way too much talent to have a year like last. Buffalo will be this years Vancouver and will be top 3 in the Atlantic.

Club

zach benson real estate.
Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I want to say yes

I do think we finish higher up than the Isles who manage to squeeke in every season.

Here's to hoping.

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada
It's impossible to say either way with certainty.

Guys like Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, Benson, Power, Levi, Byram all have another gear. Untapped potential. The Sabres can be as good as anyone in the division if that group all hits their stride, if guys like Thompson/Tuch are healthy and Luukkonen stays confident.

Chances of that, I don't know. But no one in the league scares me.

Reactions: jc17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad