Proposal: min-cbj-ana

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
That’s way too much money/term for the Ducks to retain for not getting back something good. Gonna have to do better to get them to be a part of this.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
$2.175M x 2 years is worth more than 2nd+3rd? I actually don’t think that’s too bad.
A 2nd & 3rd two years from now, at a point when they're hopefully ready to run & not really need picks as much.

Personally if I was GMPV I wouldn't be completely opposed to picking up a percentage of a contract for a couple of years. He's not going to need the cap room until the retention time is over, but the return needs to be decent if he's spending $4.5 million in real dollars.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I'm pretty sure it's actually Anaheim retaining 50% of 50% of Laine's contract (so 25%). It's not worded very clearly, though.
Yeah, with MIN getting him for $2.175 it would be double retention with the Ducks getting 25% of the total (however OP didn't mention that Columbus would be retaining the original 50%)

(Can a team even trade a player without retaining anything themselves & have another team pick up a significant percentage of the contract? In this hypothetical example using Laine's #s, Columbus wouldn't retain anything & Anaheim retains 50%/$4.3 million (I'd assume that a LOT would have to go to team #3 for them to even consider it if it's even allowed))

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Yeah, with MIN getting him for $2.175 it would be double retention with the Ducks getting 25% of the total (however OP didn't mention that Columbus would be retaining the original 50%)

(Can a team even trade a player without retaining anything themselves & have another team pick up a significant percentage of the contract? In this hypothetical example using Laine's #s, Columbus wouldn't retain anything & Anaheim retains 50%/$4.3 million (I'd assume that a LOT would have to go to team #3 for them to even consider it if it's even allowed))
This. This is exactly how the OP was laid out. He mentioned nothing about retention from
Cbus. Poorly worded proposal.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Op has Anaheim retaining 50% of Laine’s contract. Unless it’s not worded correctly, that’s a lot more than 2.1 million.
Minnesota gets him at 75% retained in this. So it would be 50% from Columbus and 25% from Anaheim.

It’s technically worded correctly. Anaheim is receiving Laine’s contract at 50% and then Minnesota is receiving Laine at $2.175M cap hit. It doesn’t mention retention from Anaheim or Columbus. But it can be inferred through context clues.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
I'm pretty sure it's actually Anaheim retaining 50% of 50% of Laine's contract (so 25%). It's not worded very clearly, though.
That would make more sense. But OP didn’t mention any retention by Cbus. Definitely could’ve been more clear.

Minnesota gets him at 75% retained in this. So it would be 50% from Columbus and 25% from Anaheim.

It’s technically worded correctly. Anaheim is receiving Laine’s contract at 50% and then Minnesota is receiving Laine at $2.175M cap hit. It doesn’t mention retention from Anaheim or Columbus. But it can be inferred through context clues.
It’s a poorly worded proposal.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
That would make more sense. But OP didn’t mention any retention by Cbus. Definitely could’ve been more clear.

It’s a poorly worded proposal.
It was pretty easy to understand.

Thread is about three teams (Min, CBJ, Ana) as stated in the title and OP. Laine is clearly stated as going to Minnesota at $2.175M (75% retained, if you do the math). There’s only one way that can happen in this instance…

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
It was pretty easy to understand.

Thread is about three teams (Min, CBJ, Ana) as stated in the title and OP. Laine is clearly stated as going to Minnesota at $2.175M (75% retained, if you do the math). There’s only one way that can happen in this instance
You’re assuming everyone knows what Laine’s contract amount is. Op didn’t mention it. All he said was,

“ana gets
50 % Laine contract”

Which could easily be interpreted as Ana retaining 50%.

$2.175 means nothing without knowing that it’s 75% of the contract amount or that Cbus is retaining 50% and Ana is retaining the other 25%. Op states neither.

All I knew was that Laine had a big contract and perhaps the Op miscaculated what 50% of the contract amount was.

Again, it was poorly worded. You can say it was clear, but that’s only because you knew what Laine’s contract amount was. I shouldn’t have to look up a contract amount when viewing a proposal to make sense of it. It’s generally something that’s mentioned in the Op. instead of arguing about it being clear, why not step back and see that important information was missing that actually would have made it clear.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
You’re assuming everyone knows what Laine’s contract amount is. Op didn’t mention it. All he said was,

“ana gets
50 % Laine contract”

$2.175 means nothing without knowing that it’s 75% of the contract amount or that Cbus is retaining 50% and Ana is retaining the other 25%. Op states neither.

All I knew was that Laine had a big contract and perhaps the Op miscaculated what 50% of the contract amount was.

Again, it was poorly worded. You can say it was clear, but that’s only because you knew what Laine’s contract amount was. I shouldn’t have to look up a contract amount when viewing a proposal to make sense of it. It’s generally something that’s mentioned in the Op. instead of arguing about it being clear, why not step back and see that important information was missing that actually would have made it clear.
Are you that dependent on others? It would have taken 10 seconds to look up his contract. Instead, you have put more effort and time into complaining about the wording of the proposal than it would have taken to get the knowledge you clearly lacked.

You could reverse engineer the proposal. $2.175 * 2 (for max 50% retention) = $4.35M. Surely you knew that Laine’s AAV was more than $4.35M…

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Are you that dependent on others? It would have taken 10 seconds to look up his contract. Instead, you have put more effort and time into complaining about the wording of the proposal than it would have taken to get the knowledge you clearly lacked.

You could reverse engineer the proposal. $2.175 * 2 (for max 50% retention) = $4.35M. Surely you knew that Laine’s AAV was more than $4.35M…
I didn’t complain about anything. My first response (not even to you or directed at you) said it was too much money and term for not receiving anything good back. You then decided to say you didn’t agree and said it was only 2.175. That’s when I said, “Op has Anaheim retaining 50% of Laine’s contract. Unless it’s not worded correctly, that’s a lot more than 2.1 million.” Again, not a complaint. But you then felt the need to police these boards and tell me that I was incorrect and how clear the proposal was. Fast forward to you doubling down and telling me I should’ve done math to figure it out and now stating that I should’ve taken time to look up his contract, just confirms my sentiment that it wasn’t a well written proposal or clear. If it were clear, there would be no need to do further research to figure it out.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
min
Laine (2,175,000)

cbj
Freddy Gaudreau
26 1st (top10 protection)
Carson lambos
26 4th (Toronto pick)
(I would of added Gustavsson but been told before cbj doesn't need a goalie hat way the retention wouldn't be 50% )

ana gets
50 % Laine contract
26 2nd min
26 3rd min(Colorado pick)
Merrill

This is horrible for Anaheim.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I didn’t complain about anything. My first response (not even to you or directed at you) said it was too much money and term for not receiving anything good back. You then decided to say you didn’t agree and said it was only 2.175. That’s when I said, “Op has Anaheim retaining 50% of Laine’s contract. Unless it’s not worded correctly, that’s a lot more than 2.1 million.” Again, not a complaint. But you then felt the need to police these boards and tell me that I was incorrect and how clear the proposal was. Fast forward to you doubling down and telling me I should’ve done math to figure it out and now stating that I should’ve taken time to look up his contract, just confirms my sentiment that it wasn’t a well written proposal or clear. If it were clear, there would be no need to do further research to figure it out.
It was easy to understand. You could’ve easily figured it out without even googling a single thing by your general knowledge of Laine having a big contract and Minnesota getting him at $2.175M in the proposal. If your team is retaining 50% and is the only team between the team trading Laine and the team trading for Laine, it’s a simple math equation a middle schooler could figure out. Take the end cap hit and divide it by .5 (or multiply it by 2) to get the total amount. $2.175M is 50% of $4.35M. Therefore, your team is retaining $2.175M. You cannot have Columbus trade Laine to Anaheim, retain 50% of his cap, trade the contract back to Columbus, they retain 50% of the already retained contract, and then trade that to Minnesota. Which is the only other alternative situation given the three teams clearly presented in the proposal.

You’re just doubling and tripling down on blaming the OP for your lack of effort to understand the proposal. It really wasn’t that hard to understand. Two other people figured it out fairly quickly and commented to you after you posted. Therefore, it wasn’t that hard to understand.

Reactions: CanadienShark

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It was easy to understand. You could’ve easily figured it out without even googling a single thing by your general knowledge of Laine having a big contract and Minnesota getting him at $2.175M in the proposal. If your team is retaining 50% and is the only team between the team trading Laine and the team trading for Laine, it’s a simple math equation a middle schooler could figure out. Take the end cap hit and divide it by .5 (or multiply it by 2) to get the total amount. $2.175M is 50% of $4.35M. Therefore, your team is retaining $2.175M. You cannot have Columbus trade Laine to Anaheim, retain 50% of his cap, trade the contract back to Columbus, they retain 50% of the already retained contract, and then trade that to Minnesota. Which is the only other alternative situation given the three teams clearly presented in the proposal.

You’re just doubling and tripling down on blaming the OP for your lack of effort to understand the proposal. It really wasn’t that hard to understand. Two other people figured it out fairly quickly and commented to you after you posted. Therefore, it wasn’t that hard to understand.
More to the point, I had it figured from the start and wrote as much in the third post in this thread.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County

You continue to belittle when it’s already been said that the $2.175 figure you keep alluding to, means nothing if you’re unaware of what the contract amount is. Get off your high horse and stop insulting others and try having an open mind and looking at it from someone else’s perspective. You knew what his contract was so you instantly knew $2.175 was 25%. If the contract is unknown, $2.175 isn’t obvious to that person reading it.

And yes two people figured it out. One is a
Bluejacket fan that knows hat laine’s contract is a s the other may have known it may have done research to find out. In any case, one of those two even mention that the proposal wasn’t clear so using them as an example doesn’t help your point.

The bottom line is that it wasn’t clear and you have admitted this multiple times inadvertently by telling me to research or use math to figure it out.

I’m done speaking with you as you do nothing but throw insults rather than having an honest discussion.

More to the point, I had it figured from the start and wrote as much in the third post in this thread.
You’re also a jackets fan who knew $2.175 was 25% of Laine’s contract. Someone who doesn’t know his contract woulldnt have any idea what 25% would be.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You’re also a jackets fan who knew $2.175 was 25% of Laine’s contract. Someone who doesn’t know his contract woulldnt have any idea what 25% would be.
So basically you're saying you came into the thread and opted to pontificate despite having done literally no research, even tho to do so you would have had to go through a web browser and thus had readily available on-demand sources of this information you can pull up trivially in seconds. Or, for that matter, without actually reading the rest of the thread.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
So basically you're saying you came into the thread and opted to pontificate despite having done literally no research, even tho to do so you would have had to go through a web browser and thus had readily available on-demand sources of this information you can pull up trivially in seconds. Or, for that matter, without actually reading the rest of the thread.
I literally read the Op and commented that it wasn’t a good deal for the Ducks. Nothing more, nothing less. Why would I continue reading through the rest of the thread before going back to comment on the first post? As for doing research, you’re also proving my point that the Op wasnt clear. If it were, no research should be needed.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

“ana gets
50 % Laine contract”

The OP says nothing about retaining, but did say 2 things.

Ana GETS 50% of the contract.
Mn GETS Laine at $2.175.

I don't even need to know Laine’s exact contract to work out that retention is happening in two stages here, as Ana only received 50% of it to start with and the Wild sure aren't holding 50% of the total at the end. Everyone knows Laine was paid more than $4.35m/yr. It was easily implied 50% and 50% without any research at all despite not knowing the original deal IMO.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
The OP says nothing about retaining, but did say 2 things.

Ana GETS 50% of the contract.
Mn GETS Laine at $2.175.

I don't even need to know Laine’s exact contract to work out that retention is happening in two stages here, as Ana only received 50% of it to start with and the Wild sure aren't holding 50% of the total at the end. Everyone knows Laine was paid more than $4.35m/yr. It was easily implied 50% and 50% without any research at all despite not knowing the original deal IMO.
Or, as I mentioned already, I thought the Op could’ve made a mistake on the amount because it wasn’t clearly spelled out. I don’t know why it’s so difficult for the three of you to just accept that maybe the proposal wasn’t crystal clear as digital keeps insisting on. I wasnt the only poster to mention it not being clear.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Or, as I mentioned already, I thought the Op could’ve made a mistake on the amount because it wasn’t clearly spelled out. I don’t know why it’s so difficult for the three of you to just accept that maybe the proposal wasn’t crystal clear as digital keeps insisting on. I wasnt the only poster to mention it not being clear.
You just missed that at no point was retention said, and inserted your own idea despite the other clues. Instead of saying "I misread the proposal" you are pointing fingers unnecessarily.

In the end, it's understood now what was meant, so everyone can move on, yes?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad