Seravalli: Vegas looking to terminate Lehner deal after he failed to report for physical

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
So, has anyone heard from Lehner? He ok? Where is he?

If he still has issues he should have checked into the player assistance program and kept his job. Hope he's alright where ever he is

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
This is 100% accurate.

This doesn't happen on any other team in the league. The Avs have a drug addict that has submarined TWO different playoffs that apparently they can't do anything about but the golden turds whack job goalie doesn't show up for preseason so the cap hit goes away ? Whatta joke.
Absolutely correct from the beginning this team has been given every advantage possible and it’s really hard to understand why

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
How is anyone defending this? The issue is not that someone can just not fulfill their contract requirements, then claim "because reasons", settle to still get their money. No one gives a shit that Vegas is still paying and he's still not playing. It's generally accepted this guy has massive issues preventing him from playing.

The issue is him not being required to go on LTIR. I mean you have people with literal permanent eye damage, massive concussions, et al, and they show up for physicals. If you're maimed mentally or physically to the point you can't show up, fine, then settle that clause out.

Don't give the f***ing team the ability to accrue cap space for this shit though. Makes absolutely no sense. He goes on LTIR like every other injured played in existence. Or the contract is terminated. There's no gray area.

It's indefensible for Vegas to be able to accrue cap space in this situation.

Edit:
I don't buy the crap that it's being done for altruistic reasons either. Because the money still counts toward HRR paid to players. So people are getting f***ed on escrow because of this, but Vegas is allowed to then spend more money. Lmfao
You don't seem to understand the rules regarding LTIR. Contrary to the belief of the HF BrainTrust, you can't just magically put a player on LTIR because you want to.

1. He refused to report for his physical, and likely take one altogether.
2. A physical is a REQUIREMENT of LTIR
3. Just to drive it home... NO PHYSICAL = INELIGIBLE FOR LTIR

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Oilers kane on the LTIR or IR.. let see what happens in March when they use that cap space that Vegas and Tb did. This most of this site got pissed over the fact both teams used LTIR and then got the player that was injured back just in time for the playoffs round one game one. Lets see if the NHL suddenly changed their view how just how the LTIR is supposed to be used once a Canadian team uses. At some point in time. the Oilers will use that money to grab maybe two players using the Kane's savings. Looks like they will make their move at the deadline

You don't seem to understand the rules regarding LTIR. Contrary to the belief of the HF BrainTrust, you can't just magically put a player on LTIR because you want to.

1. He refused to report for his physical, and likely take one altogether.
2. A physical is a REQUIREMENT of LTIR
3. Just to drive it home... NO PHYSICAL = INELIGIBLE FOR LTIR

point of order. One of the things he is reportedly suffering from is depression and anxiety. Both this can prevent someone from traveling.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
point of order. One of the things he is reportedly suffering from is depression and anxiety. Both this can prevent someone from traveling.
Oh believe me I know, I have panic attacks just taking my garbage out quite often. But when businesses are involved, you still have to follow the rules. I have to see my Dr monthly for my insurance company to continue my disability payments, I need to see my doctor regular to qualify for Canada Pension Disability. I don't do those things, I do not qualify. It's the same for Lehner for his SPC and LTIR, if he doesn't have a physical he doesn't qualify for LTIR and have violated his SPC.

I'm also willing to believe that if they are cool with paying him 4.5m they probably didn't have to, that they also likely offered to send a league recognized Dr to him.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Oh believe me I know, I have panic attacks just taking my garbage out quite often. But when businesses are involved, you still have to follow the rules. I have to see my Dr monthly for my insurance company to continue my disability payments, I need to see my doctor regular to qualify for Canada Pension Disability. I don't do those things, I do not qualify. It's the same for Lehner for his SPC and LTIR, if he doesn't have a physical he doesn't qualify for LTIR and have violated his SPC.

I'm also willing to believe that if they are cool with paying him 4.5m they probably didn't have to, that they also likely offered to send a league recognized Dr to him.

I had an ex-girl friend who suffers from depression and anxiety and she went 2 years between be able to leave her house one time. We got to the end of drive way one time before she started bugging out.

We do not know just how bad he is suffering from it.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Oilers kane on the LTIR or IR.. let see what happens in March when they use that cap space that Vegas and Tb did. This most of this site got pissed over the fact both teams used LTIR and then got the player that was injured back just in time for the playoffs round one game one. Lets see if the NHL suddenly changed their view how just how the LTIR is supposed to be used once a Canadian team uses. At some point in time. the Oilers will use that money to grab maybe two players using the Kane's savings. Looks like they will make their move at the deadline

The NHL wouldn't do anything if Kane is legitimately injured and then can and does physically play in the playoffs, even if he isn't one hundred percent at the beginning. Canadian teams have used LTIR going into the playoffs before.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I had an ex-girl friend who suffers from depression and anxiety and she went 2 years between be able to leave her house one time. We got to the end of drive way one time before she started bugging out.

We do not know just how bad he is suffering from it.
I have sympathy for him, I really do, but unfortunately we live in a society where we have to do things that really really suck sometimes, and most of the time companies and government entities won't just gift us money if we don't follow those rules.

While I am defending the Knights in this situation because they have every right to terminate his contract, I do sympathize with Lehner; but they have grounds to terminate without pay and eliminate his cap hit. While I don't think for a second them paying him still is altruistic by any means, I think it's ridiculous that people don't grasp that they are doing more for Lehner then they had to and think that somehow this is bending the rules for them... if anything it's bending the rules for Lehner because if they followed the rules to teh T, he wouldn't get a penny and his cap hit would still be gone.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I have sympathy for him, I really do, but unfortunately we live in a society where we have to do things that really really suck sometimes, and most of the time companies and government entities won't just gift us money if we don't follow those rules.

While I am defending the Knights in this situation because they have every right to terminate his contract, I do sympathize with Lehner; but they have grounds to terminate without pay and eliminate his cap hit. While I don't think for a second them paying him still is altruistic by any means, I think it's ridiculous that people don't grasp that they are doing more for Lehner then they had to and think that somehow this is bending the rules for them... if anything it's bending the rules for Lehner because if they followed the rules to teh T, he wouldn't get a penny and his cap hit would still be gone.

Here is the thing. My understanding he has seen his local GP, where ever he is, and the GP signed off in him not being fit to travel.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Can’t they just waive his need to do the physical and keep him on LTIR.
Seems like what they did was fair to Lehner and the Knights but not the rest of the league. If they would have waived his need to do physical it would have been fair to Lehner and the league but not the Knights. I take option 2. 😀

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
This is 100% accurate.

This doesn't happen on any other team in the league. The Avs have a drug addict that has submarined TWO different playoffs that apparently they can't do anything about but the golden turds whack job goalie doesn't show up for preseason so the cap hit goes away ? Whatta joke.
They had the grounds to terminate him. They were losing his cap either way

his is more the league doing Lehner a favor than the Knights

Most likely, they were going to terminate it, but it would get challenged and go to an arbitrator, and they likely feared Lehner had an argument they were afraid might become precedent for other players in the future

This avoids that possibility altogether

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Here is the thing. My understanding he has seen his local GP, where ever he is, and the GP signed off in him not being fit to travel.
Cool. Do you not think it was offered for a league sanctioned Dr to visit him? My gut says yes.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Can’t they just waive his need to do the physical and keep him on LTIR.
Seems like what they did was fair to Lehner and the Knights but not the rest of the league. If they would have waived his need to do physical it would have been fair to Lehner and the league but not the Knights. I take option 2. 😀

One, insurance companies would definitely not be okay with someone on LTIR getting their physical waived. Second, waiving a physical and claiming LTIR is certainly something every other team would take issue with, as you could LTIR anyone because a physical is no longer required.

Reactions: Lunatik

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
One, insurance companies would definitely not be okay with someone on LTIR getting their physical waived. Second, waiving a physical and claiming LTIR is certainly something every other team would take issue with, as you could LTIR anyone because a physical is no longer required.
Or pay to fly the approved dr to him.
What’s worse LTIR anyone or just have guys magically removed from your cap altogether.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Or pay to fly the approved dr to him.
What’s worse LTIR anyone or just have guys magically removed from your cap altogether.
Violating your SPC is grounds to have it terminated... that is not magically making it disappear.

How do you know they didn't offer to fly a Dr to him? I mean they're forking out 4.5m that I doubt insurance will cover without a physical, seems logical to me they'd have offered to send a Dr there.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
The fact is the league has created a precedent of a contract being terminated with payment and the cap hit coming off.

It’s needlessly messy and opens the door on a loophole that is attractive for both player and teams, that would put the league in a spot of having to make the argument to justify why one players mental health issues are more legitimate then another’s, a position you could understand they surely wouldn’t want to be in. Now I don’t think this becomes a big thing because there really aren’t that many suitable ltiretirement contracts out there where teams would be desperate for the cap relief, especially with the flat cap era seemingly in the rear view and the cap set to rise significantly.

The point remains, precedent has been set which creates a risk of someone trying to exploit which could put the league in an uncomfortable spot.

The league had a much easier way to handle the situation by saying that given his situation the breach didn’t rise to the level of contract termination. The team is aware of his conditions, just like they knew he wasn’t going to pass his physical which is a formality at this point, and they could of, either before or after, made arrangements to accommodate this unique situation that didn’t result in a potential loophole to be exploited but in that case Vegas wouldn’t of gotten twith the cap relief which was really the goal.
The precedent for this was set years ago with the Evander Kane contract termination or the Corey Perry contract termination last season. We already seen this type of termination this off season with Flyers Johansen. In this instance the Flyers are trying to not pay the player so we have the NHLPA rightly stepping in and crying foul. With Vegas paying the player that satisfies the Union's concerns and lets all parties walk away without it going a court and setting a LEGAL precident which I am sure all parties would not want. As for the Cap relief Vegas was always going to get it either through LTIR or this termination.

chaser17

Dec 30, 2014
It's greasy but not really sure what the NHL and PA were supposed to do here. Vegas had the right to terminate the deal but were willing to still pay his salary so long as the contract was off the books. All parties were satisfied in the end, moving on.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's greasy but not really sure what the NHL and PA were supposed to do here. Vegas had the right to terminate the deal but were willing to still pay his salary so long as the contract was off the books. All parties were satisfied in the end, moving on.
Circumventing the cap always makes every side happy.

The point is to make the league affordable to teams who don't have the cash that the rich teams do, and perhaps they can't afford to just throw away millions away from the cap like Vegas did.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Absolutely correct from the beginning this team has been given every advantage possible and it’s really hard to understand why

I think the why is quite simply the NHL's desire for growth there.

The Southern USA is a market that is extremely weak in viewership but a massive potential for growth.

They're playing the long game. Franchise Value. T.V deals. They don't care.. well they do. But the priority isn't who is watching.. but may watch in the future. Hence the rumors.. back to Atlanta.. back to Arizona.

The NHL has a vested interest in seeing Vegas succeed over an established market. So they let them get away with anything that can be even somewhat debated.

I bet that blown call in the beginning of the franchise history set Bettman off. His darling new franchise that a lot of hopes (well hopes for Billionaires haha) are riding on the success of Vegas.

They want franchise value. Hence why we're really not hearing shit from other teams. They want to win.. but f*** there's a shit ton of money that can be made if hockey catches on down south.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad