Seravalli: Vegas looking to terminate Lehner deal after he failed to report for physical

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
HelpYes, because that's the actual rule. But Vegas gets to invent their own for unknown reasons, and we're left to speculate as to what's happening behind closed doors that allows for such a luxury.
Sometimes I wonder if people read their own posts. Youre upset that a team paid a player their money when they didn’t have to because other teams might not necessarily choose to do so? :help:

Reactions: Pia8988

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Does it make sense to pay a player *not* to play for your team? Does it make sense to sign a contract, have that contract count toward the salary cap, and then suddenly decide -- no it doesn't?

I understand everyone's positions here. The fact remains that Vegas signs guys, has them not count toward the cap with non bona fide hockey injuries and gets cap reliefs no other team has ever sought. That's ... hate? It's special rules for special guys.
Or you can just take 5 minutes to read into what’s actually going on and realize there’s nothing special about it

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Looks to me like what the NHL agreed to is that if a player report to your team they don’t have to count towards your team’s cap. Can anyone actually tell me why this is unfair or do people just hate Vegas so much that they don’t even care if what they’re saying makes sense?
Yup. I knew coming into this thread it'd be nothing more than "hurr durr Vegas bad."

This fat f*** can't even be bothered to show up to camp. It's a farce he's getting paid at all

Reactions: Roo

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
There's nothing special about it? Can you point me to another time when failure to report didn't lead to a contract termination?
that's essentially what's happening! they just aren't withholding his salary. Lehner (or his creditors) are the only ones winning. Vegas is getting exactly what they would have if it was officially terminated, except tehy're out 4.5m and the NHLPA has no reason to file a grievance in a month

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
that's essentially what's happening! they just aren't withholding his salary. Lehner (or his creditors) are the only ones winning. Vegas is getting exactly what they would have if it was officially terminated, except tehy're out 4.5m and the NHLPA has no reason to file a grievance in a month
Why would they grieve it?

All he had to do was show up. If the testing was somehow too dangerous for his bona fide injury, he has a separate avenue to grieve. That hasn't been reported. Nor likely will it since this is the NHL and Vegas.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
100% this should be a contract termination. He’s not fit to play, so he can’t fulfil the obligations of his contract. No idea why he is still getting paid. Terrible precedent.

But why does Vegas accept this? Best deal they can get? Can’t think so.

Reactions: VeteranPresence

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Why would they grieve it?

All he had to do was show up. If the testing was somehow too dangerous for his bona fide injury, he has a separate avenue to grieve. That hasn't been reported. Nor likely will it since this is the NHL and Vegas.
because their job is to protect the salaries of the NHLPA members they will file a grievance against any contract termination that isn't mutual.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
So can players just not show up for the physicals and the nhl will just void contracts?

Seems rather convenient. I wouldn’t be surprised if this becomes a common circumvention with some back room dealings to compensate.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
because their job is to protect the salaries of the NHLPA members they will file a grievance against any contract termination that isn't mutual.
And what would the result of that be? Vegas's position is that they require a physical, Lehner said he couldn't make it. If that was the end of it... does that not strike you as a little odd? There's no other time available for this doctor and this player to meet, do some hip flexibility tests and determine he's unfit?

Just don't claim this isn't a strange situation. Ad hoc management of a clownish league. Ad hoc interpretation of its governing documents. And since it's Vegas, where a player went from bona fide injured and on LTIR on Game 82 of the season and completely healthy within a week... it deserves scrutiny.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
So can players just not show up for the physicals and the nhl will just void contracts?

Seems rather convenient. I wouldn’t be surprised if this becomes a common circumvention with some back room dealings to compensate.

It's almost like contracts have terms both parties must adhere to

Reactions: JKG33

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Lehner is done. 240 pound goalies don't come back from serious hip surgeries.

Unfortunately he has psychological problems, which likely led to the no-show.

I have no idea how the contract thing will turn out.

I just hope Lehner gets help, finds mental stability, and can settle down and have a decent life going forward.

Reactions: Saga of the Elk

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
It's almost like contracts have terms both parties must adhere to
Seems like a rather easy way to navigate around the terms. Team pays player for contract but contract no longer counts against cap. Say a player then signs a 3 year deal for 9 million, and only plays 1 year. Seems like a simple way to get a player on a “team friendly” deal by stretching it out over voidable years like they do in the NFL.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Lehner is done. 240 pound goalies don't come back from serious hip surgeries.

Unfortunately he has psychological problems, which likely led to the no-show.

I have no idea how the contract thing will turn out.

I just hope Lehner gets help, finds mental stability, and can settle down and have a decent life going forward.
240 is underestimating it big time

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Lehner, 33, is still expected to receive the $4.5 million owed to him this season. Sources indicated the Golden Knights had a strong case to fully terminate the deal, which would result in no pay, but they didn’t want to pursue that path – as they were only seeking salary cap relief. From the NHLPA perspective, protecting a player’s earnings was of the utmost importance, and the resulting salary cap change is mostly immaterial – resulting in the agreed upon settlement. His $4.5 million is still expected to count against the players’ share of the 50/50 revenue split with owners.
I can see how this makes sense for everyone involved, just seems like a precedent that could be abused.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
I can see how this makes sense for everyone involved, just seems like a precedent that could be abused.

See that's the neat part: if you shout "no precedent!" it doesn't become one and no other club can ever use it to their advantage. Totally fair to the other teams who do not have a red phone to ring on Gary's desk when they need salary cap relief.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Pretty sure the overwhelming majority of players who sign big contracts don’t refuse to report to their training camp physical
We have 30 year olds signing 7 and 8 year contracts now for big money. this is going to get abused going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad