Seravalli: Vegas looking to terminate Lehner deal after he failed to report for physical

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Conflating the money someone earns with your ability to feel compassion or empathy says more about you than them

And thats not even an insult - plenty of good people happen to make lots of money. What, you befriend a millionaire and they go through issues, youd never feel for them?

The money someone earns doesn't change that theyre a person like you and I

That has literally nothing to do with what I said.

The comment I was responding to said "grow a brain and a heart" in reply to someone saying "they should terminate his contract". Saying that you should "grow a heart" so a millionaire athlete who has made $30 million already in his career can get an additional $4.5 million this year (when he has not fulfilled his obligations to earn that money) is absolutely silly.

That's not saying "rich people don't deserve empathy" in even the slightest. It's that saying "grow a heart" because an athlete may get his contract terminated for not holding up his end of the bargain is insanely dumb.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
But if he is suffering from mental health issues, why should he be punished?
I'm on disability for serious mental health issues, if I don't have the proper medical reports to give to the insurance company (and the government for disability pension), then I get nothing. I have panic attacks whenever I leave my home, and I still have to go. Why should he be any different because he plays hockey?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
People talking about lehner. He is also I believe in major bankruptcy. Who knows if his creditors/attending the states etc effects that

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
That has literally nothing to do with what I said.

The comment I was responding to said "grow a brain and a heart" in reply to someone saying "they should terminate his contract". Saying that you should "grow a heart" so a millionaire athlete who has made $30 million already in his career can get an additional $4.5 million this year (when he has not fulfilled his obligations to earn that money) is absolutely silly.

That's not saying "rich people don't deserve empathy" in even the slightest. It's that saying "grow a heart" because an athlete may get his contract terminated for not holding up his end of the bargain is insanely dumb.
I had the context but it didnt read that way initially

On the topic of Vegas terminating, id prefer if the deal is.. commissioner listed or something? Because if it turns out something happened then that could be liable for an argument by the NHLPA

Id agree there needs to be some sort of deadline but thats why id prefer his contract exempted momentarily until we have answers

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I had the context but it didnt read that way initially

On the topic of Vegas terminating, id prefer if the deal is.. commissioner listed or something? Because if it turns out something happened then that could be liable for an argument by the NHLPA

Id agree there needs to be some sort of deadline but thats why id prefer his contract exempted momentarily until we have answers

Yeah I should have done a better job at explaining. I obviously hope Lehner is okay, that’s the #1 thing. I just think it’s silly to say that terminating his deal is “punishing him” and saying “grow a heart” by doing it.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Yeah I should have done a better job at explaining. I obviously hope Lehner is okay, that’s the #1 thing. I just think it’s silly to say that terminating his deal is “punishing him” and saying “grow a heart” by doing it.
There I can agree - though its still slightly interesting since even the cheapest paid is making a pretty penny compared to the average person

But yeah Im surprised its not a bigger story - I assume the NHL must know of his whereabouts somehow, because if not thats a missing persons issue no?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
What a weird situation. It seems pretty clear he's not playing again, and it all seems extremely convenient that he somehow didn't manage to make it to his annual "check in" to confirm his medical status to just sit around at home and collect his cheques. But with this player, it's also entirely within the realm of possibility that he just ghosted to do his own thing, or wasn't in the right head space to show up and maintain his contract obligations, or who knows what really. So it's hard to really blame Vegas if they do decide to press on with termination of his contract...assuming there was no funny business in the scheduling of the medical or something else of that nature.

The NHLPA will almost certainly end up involved here if they press for termination though. With Lehner being an outspoken member with a lot to say on the topic of mental health, substance abuse, etc. If it looks at all like Vegas exploiting his mental health situation or similar instability to dodge their own financial and cap obligations, the union will be all up on them for that.

Reactions: Sniperberg

archangel2

May 19, 2019
On another site it suggested that Lehner's contract is no longer insured and that the money is now coming out of Vegas' physical money

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I've not gone through the thread to read everything that's been written. But I wanted to share a story.

A few years back there was a local (high school?) female goalie who was being harassed via chants from an opposing school. Like, it crossed the line many, many times.

Here on HF I posted something about how their family was reacting to it (obviously not positively). Eventually, this post made it all the way to Lehner via, I believe, his agent. They reached out to me via PM to see if I could get them in touch with the affected goalie's family. Eventually they did:

"Thank you for your help. I was able to reach the girls mother. I’m currently facilitating a call and/or video chat between the girl and Robin Lehner."

They didn't need to do that at all but I found it extremely touching.

We all have our demons and I hope Lehner is doing okay.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I'm on disability for serious mental health issues, if I don't have the proper medical reports to give to the insurance company (and the government for disability pension), then I get nothing. I have panic attacks whenever I leave my home, and I still have to go. Why should he be any different because he plays hockey?
Because he is in a union.

Reactions: biturbo19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad