Seravalli: Vegas looking to terminate Lehner deal after he failed to report for physical

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Yes, it is, for the very reason I already laid out. Lehner was expected to report for a physical at the same time as every other player. If your ridiculous theory were remotely credible, they would have required him to report at a different time.

We know Lehner has a history of mental health issues. He also has ongoing bankruptcy hearings. It's possible that either one or both of those things contributed to him not showing up, but I have no idea and will not speculate on it.

Just because you can't think of a good reason why Lehner would do this doesn't mean the terrible reason you came up with is plausible.

Wouldnt even say its a theory. I dont have enough at stake in this to be that. But i wouldnt be surprised if something came out later. On one side you have someone that likely has never forfeited millions before. And on the other, you have an organization with a history of being cut throat. Saying one is more ridiculous than the other is being a little naive and submissive. But you think its cut and dry. OK. So be it.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Seems like a pretty harsh penalty for missing a medical exam. Ya, Lehner should probably get fined, but fined 5M? C'mon. I mean, the medical exam is only a formality. Does anyone think that he will all of a sudden be declared fit to play by Vegas? Does anyone think that Vegas actually wants him declared fit to play?

Vegas is starting to become one of my least favorite franchises, now that the clown in ARI is out of the league.

It's also friggen ridiculous they couldn't get him to do a physical and everyone assumes he has to travel. When I bought whole life insurance, they sent someone to my house to do the physical to confirm my health for establishing the premium I would pay and I'm a nobody.

Millions are at stake. I find it bizarre that they failed to get Lehner to do a physical due to travel reasons, and that they couldn't put it on Lehner's tab to fly the NHL accredited personnel (or whoever/whatever requirements the insurance requires) out to do the physical.

The only logical possibility in my head is maybe they did and Lehner refused to meet with them for some of the mental health reasons already highlighted.

I mean, for $100K, you could probably hire a PI and pay for him and a team to do everything to find him then do the physical at whatever location he is.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I agree people should go easy on Lehner. Not sure why it's sometimes ok to pile on guys who have well publicized mental issues. He's one of the best hockey interviews out there and isn't afraid to say anything. I really respected him a lot after hearing him on a few podcasts.

I do however condone badmouthing Vegas. Fire away boys!
Oh, there's plenty of reasons to bash the VGK, just don't think how they are handling the Lehner situation needs to be included.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Could backfire for them if he shows up healthy enough to not be on LTIR lol. Should just let it rest and enjoy not being stuck with his contract on the cap.

That's not how it works. You can't just put a player on LTIR because you want to. They need to be assessed to determine their health.

If it's a multi-million contract, with the expectation of a full-year of injury, in many cases that contract will be partially or fully insured, which often requires a second, independent physical as well. Nobody who is "healthy enough" is on the LTIR despite what the conspiracy theorists around here will tell you.

Reactions: tantalum

Nikolajs Sillers

Jan 2, 2021
Robin-
200.webp

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
There are Swedes, Canadians and Americans currently playing in the KHL...

4 Swedish players have played games this year (the same 4 as last year).

It's definitely not their league of choice right now.

They had 26 in 2017-2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bartcal

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
There are Swedes, Canadians and Americans currently playing in the KHL...
There are four Swedes who can never play for the national team again and are shunned by the Swedish hockey community and media because they play in the KHL.

I'm pretty sure 99% of adults know what's happening. We're not stupid.
But you don't seem to understand how intertwined the KHL and the Russian government is.

• Haha
Reactions: Rafafouille

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why should Lehner continue to receive his contract if he’s going to refuse to report and fulfill his obligations?
This is puzzling for sure. Even if he knew he wasn't going to pass his physical, he still would have gotten paid his 5M if he reported. That's such a big mistake on his part. Sounds like some fishy business by Vegas.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I don't trust that team as far as I could throw them. Lehner probably just checked into a hotel room with a 5m bitcoin password in an envelope waiting for him in the safe. VGK terminates his contract and gets him off the cap, Lehner claims he's unable to pay his creditors, and then he returns a destitute pauper to Sweden as the cautionary tale the NHL uses to warn it's players about who to invest with, and lives a comfortable life with whatever BS occupation he will claim supports him.
It like Oceans 27 or whatever they are up to.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
What you conspiracy theorists don't realize is the Knights don't need to "get out of" Lehner's cap hit. Without terminating Lehner they'll have between 4-5m in LTIR space to use. If he gets terminated they'll have ~1m in space as of now, although they would be able to accrue cap to add at the deadline. Either way it's going to be similar numbers. The only thing really at stake here is the actual money Lehner is owed.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Vegas is already 4 million over the cap even without him on the roster, but cap space isn't the concern for them because it doesn't apply to them anyways.
Incorrect.

A bit less than $3.7M over the cap with him on the roster.

A bit more than $1.3M under the cap with him on LTIR or off the roster.

PS: Just saw that @Viqsi beat me to it... :cf:

Last edited:

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Yeah, I mean, Vegas is an easy target for the 'ruthless' narrative, but c'mon, all the guy has to do is show up and at least pretend to have chronic back pain or whatever and he gets 4.5 million bucks. If he can't even manage that, he deserves to have the contract terminated.
Right? I mean, show up for 1 physical to cash a 4.5mil cheque sounds like an easy deal.

offer me 1/10 of that and I'll take a physical, heck for that price I'd even take a colonoscopy if they needed it :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad