Vegas Could Wheel and Deal NHL Defensemen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The facts are inconsequential, no one is going to admit their team will lose a good player until it happens. Just look at all the delusional fans convinced LV will take their team's worst contract, or that their GM will magically be able to protect every asset with any value.

Teams with extra Dmen will trade with teams with extra forwards in one for one trades.

There will be some decent players available.

The other unknown...will they be allowed to make trad3d with teams who give them X for picking only from a reduced list of players.

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
Vegas isn't getting Matt Murray, to even throw it out there as a possible scenario is comical. I also don't see any way that Colorado doesn't protect Zadorov and the Wild don't trade Brodin before losing him.

From what I recall, they have to protect three of their defenseman (Suter/Scandella/Spurgeon/Dumba/Brodin). If they move Brodin, they'd still lose one of their defensemen. They either keep all five or trade two IMO.

Also, not going to click on the article but wanted to see what people thought of the Senators expansion protection. The first five forwards are pretty much locks for protection while the last two are who I think will be protected.

Turris / Ryan / Stone / Brassard / Hoffman / Pageau / Dzingel
Karlsson / Phaneuf / Ceci
Anderson

This would leave the following notable players exposed: Methot, MacArthur, Lazar, Smith and Wideman. Who do you pick if you're Las Vegas? My bet is Methot but I wouldn't be surprised to see Lazar claimed.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From what I recall, they have to protect three of their defenseman (Suter/Scandella/Spurgeon/Dumba/Brodin). If they move Brodin, they'd still lose one of their defensemen. They either keep all five or trade two IMO.

Yeah, I'm betting Scandella gets taken in the expansion draft. I think that's a fair assumption, they'll be losing a top-4 defenseman but just not Brodin. They'll trade whichever one of Dumba or Brodin that they don't protect. Their defense will probably be something like:

Scandella-Boychuk
Johnson-Manson
TVR-Schultz

I mainly put in Schultz there because they're desperately going to need a PPQB and Schultz has been very good since coming to Pittsburgh, but you can replace him with another bottom pair OFD from a team.

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
Yeah, I'm betting Scandella gets taken in the expansion draft. I think that's a fair assumption, they'll be losing a top-4 defenseman but just not Brodin. They'll trade whichever one of Dumba or Brodin that they don't protect. Their defense will probably be something like:

Scandella-Boychuk
Johnson-Manson
TVR-Schultz

I mainly put in Schultz there because they're desperately going to need a PPQB and Schultz has been very good since coming to Pittsburgh, but you can replace him with another bottom pair OFD from a team.

I don't think they'd go for Boychuk personally. My bet is that they'd try and avoid all older players with longterm contracts that come with a heavy cap hit. That would be my strategy. Vegas has been put in a very good position by the league IMHO.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Considering Johnson and Beauchiman have NMC and under contract they both have to be protected leaving the Avs to pick between Barrie and Zadorov unless they protect 4 Dman leaving them only 4 other spots to protect players with.

Unless they buyout Beauchimen

Well, as it stands, Colorado has to expose one of the four, as they are the only four with contract next year and meeting the experience quota (and each team has to expose at least one D that meets an experience threshold and has a contract next year).

Easy fix, but true all the same!

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Well, thanks, you made me click the link to see if they actually suggested that could be possible. That's... something.

Yeah, the assumptions are a bit much. I don't like that we're supposed to assume that teams just allow themselves to lose key players. Let's face it, Anaheim would move Fowler before they lost him in the draft. You can't afford to just give away a 24 year old top pairing defenseman. You especially can't afford to give him away to a division rival. That's what Vegas will be. Anaheim doesn't want to be seeing Cam Fowler on the ice against them. They know better than anyone how good he is.

Even if we head into it trying not to assume that Anaheim will make Bieksa waive(or buy him out), that's just not good management. If it really got to that point, just for the sake of argument, they'd move him for good picks and prospects.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Scandella-Boychuk
Johnson-Manson
TVR-Schultz

Also, not going to click on the article but wanted to see what people thought of the Senators expansion protection. The first five forwards are pretty much locks for protection while the last two are who I think will be protected.

Anderson

This would leave the following notable players exposed: Methot, MacArthur, Lazar, Smith and Wideman. Who do you pick if you're Las Vegas? My bet is Methot but I wouldn't be surprised to see Lazar claimed.

There's a possible scenario where we could protect 4 defensemen, and the 5th one would likely be traded over lost for nothing. It would hinge on Pominville waiving his clause or being bought out, and Vegas would have their choice of Staal, Granlund, Haula or Zucker.

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
There's a possible scenario where we could protect 4 defensemen, and the 5th one would likely be traded over lost for nothing. It would hinge on Pominville waiving his clause or being bought out, and Vegas would have their choice of Staal, Granlund, Haula or Zucker.

That would be a good move on the Wilds part.
I assume you guys would protect Parise, Niederreiter, Koivu and Coyle as the forwards?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Anderson

teams can protect either:

7 forwards, 3 Dmen, 1 goalie
or
8 skater and 1 goalie

here is the thing...assume you are correct in who Ottawa protects and leaves those players exposed.

Ask yourself...other teams will see these lists as well. Someone might say Lazar is better than their 7th protected forward and make a trade to acquire him

There should be alot of player movements made prior to the expansion draft happening.

players like Fowler will not be sitting out there exposed. They will get traded first.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I laughed and stopped reading when I saw that Zadorov would be left unprotected.

Yep; this is the same guy who wrote an article about how the Jackets would face a "tough" choice between choosing whether to expose #3-4C William Karlsson or 12-points-in-10-games #1C Alex Wennberg. And in this here followup article, this here drooling idiot assumes we choose to expose WENNBERG.

I wonder, who else does he think teams are going to expose? Does he expect the Avs to leave Nathan MacKinnon dangling? How about Alex Galchenyuk from the Habs? Ooh! Ooh! No, I have it! The Flames will expose Sean Monahan!

Seriously, whatever HF got from these hopeless fools for their "partner" status, it wasn't enough. Not nearly enough.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Players can waive their ntc/nmc. Teams can also trade assets for LV to not take an unprotected player.

I bet we'll see a number of deals, where LV picks up a pick.

They will only do so when the pick they get is more valuable than the player they could have selected.

They won;t overlook a pretty good d-man to simply pick up an extra 3rd round pick. A team will have to pay big time to protect valuable assets.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
One can dream right?

CdH is trending towards being protected or being a trade chip, even Snow knows he has to figure out what he's gonna do with him before expansion.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Well, as it stands, Colorado has to expose one of the four, as they are the only four with contract next year and meeting the experience quota (and each team has to expose at least one D that meets an experience threshold and has a contract next year).

Easy fix, but true all the same!

That's such an inconsequential issue - any of Tyutin, Gelinas, or Weircioch, considering their caliber, would be delighted over an extension - it's not even worth mentioning.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Vegas isn't getting Matt Murray, to even throw it out there as a possible scenario is comical. I also don't see any way that Colorado doesn't protect Zadorov and the Wild don't trade Brodin before losing him.

so the wild trade brodin, and still lose one of scandella/spurgeon?

makes sense :laugh:

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I would be absolutely shocked for the Penguins to expose Maatta. Who would they protect in his place, Pouliot? Maybe if Pouliot has a really strong season and Maatta struggles.

Realistically, I think Brodin and Fowler are traded before Vegas can poach them, so Vegas will be getting Scandella and Montour from those two teams. They'll be getting defensemen like those two, Johnson from Columbus and a bunch of younger guys that are the 4th best defensemen on their teams (guys like TVR, Schultz/Pouliot, Petrovic and Schmidt). I think the forwards Vegas will get are guys like Killorn from Tampa, Jarnkrok from Nashville, Lowry from Winnipeg, Yakupov from St. Louis and Beleskey from Boston. In net, I'm almost positive they'll end up with Varlamov as the starter and Korpisalo as the backup

Maybe I missed something but I thought Montour was exempt?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Wennberg is going to be exposed? LOL. I mean he's only tied for his team's point lead... but yeah I'm sure he'll be exposed.

And as others above said, zero chance Murray is available. One of him or MAF will be traded long before either are exposed to the expansion draft.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Maybe I missed something but I thought Montour was exempt?

Pretty sure he is. Looking at his playing history, I only see 1 AHL season prior to this year - which means he won't have completed 2 seasons by the time the draft rolls around.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Highly doubtful Demers is exposed

Also Wennberg will be protected (Clarkson does't need to be protected due to injury)

This is the first time I've heard someone say that a player doesn't need to be protected due to injury. Clarkson has a NMC - which means unless he waives it (he probably would), he needs to be protected.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, Columbus is not exposing Wennberg especially when he's at or near the league lead in assists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad