Proposal: Vatanen to EDM for Yakupov, Nurse

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

6God*

With ANA posturing to sign #1 Dman Lindholm and a pretty stacked-looking defense heading forward, this deal would

a) open up room for a Lindholm+Rakell signing
b) Give ANA a young cheap left-shooting winger to address poor depth on that side (with untapped potential)
c) A young stud-in-the-making in Nurse

The Oilers get:

a) the proven 2nd pairing RHD PP QB they've been looking for
b) end the Yakupov saga
c) effectively open up the 2RW spot for Pulujarvi, fill 3RW hole with a FA/trade

Any takers?

ANA roster after trade and signings:

Yakupov(2.5)
-Getzlaf-Perry
Rakell-Kesler-Silfverberg
Ritchie-Vermette-Cogliano

Lindholm-Despres
Fowler-Bieksa
Nurse(0.9)-Stoner

Oilers roster after trade and signings:

Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
Lucic-Draisaitl-JP
Pouliot-RNH-Boyes/Pirri(1M)
Hendricks-Lestestu-Kassian/Pakirinen

Sekera-Larsson
Klefbom-Vatanen(4.875)
Davidson-Fayne/Oesterle

I think both teams win both now and in the long-term heading into next season. Thoughts?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
The Ducks have absolutely zero need for Nurse. Vatanen also isn't going to be traded immediately after signing long term.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
As an Oiler fan I'd do it.

I doubt the Oilers organization would though. I think they value Nurse far more than they should.

Ducks get worse in the short term and trade Vatanen to a division rival. I guess they save a bit of cap room, although not really all that much.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
with fowler, lindholm, depres, theodore and larsson as young LHD, i dont see nurse as a need

PS. nurse would not take theodores spot lol it would be

lindholm-manson
fowler-depres
theodore-bieksa
stoner-montour
then nurse lol

6God*

As an Oiler fan I'd do it.

I doubt the Oilers organization would though. I think they value Nurse far more than they should.

Ducks get worse in the short term and trade Vatanen to a division rival. I guess they save a bit of cap room, although not really all that much.

I don't even see them losing that much. Both Fowler and Lindholm can score 40 points if given the opportunity to do so (what trading Vatanen would do).

They have like 6M to sign Rakell (50pt pace scorer) and Lindholm (Likely to ask for 5.5M+), with still some holes up front.

I think this gives them the cap relief they need to make the signings, plus some solid up-and-comers in Yakupov+Nurse.

I just don't see the pointe of having Nurse in the fold with Sekera-Klefbom locking that position down for the next 5+ years. Hell, even Brandon Davidson is trending to be a top-4 defenseman one day.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The issue is we are division rivals and we are helping out ANAs depth on the wing, plus we would be giving them Nurse.

So I'm clear, in a vacuum Vatanen is awesome for us. However, we have goals of owning the Pacific. ANAs on the down swing and I don't want to help them, their window is closing rapidly. SJS are still well ahead, ANA is conquerable in the coming years as Getzlaf and Perry lose a step and their bargain bin bottom 6 catches up to them.

Nurse might top out as a top 4, 2nd pairing defender. That's fine. He'll be 6'4 and well over 220 with elite skating and nastiness. Do we want to put in the patient years while he develops into a legit NHL Dman by the time he is 23-25? Essentially put in all the tough years from 20-23 dealing with his growing pains only to trade him before we get the benefit? **** no.

Value is fair for us (ANA fans might see it different). However, ANA is a rival and we need to conquer them. Their bottom 6 is a weak point going forward and their depth on D is a strength. We take the risk and I don't want to face Nurse for the next 10-15 years in the Pacific. This is a pass.

We'll develop our pup in Nurse, and when he's an alpha dog the Pacific teams are going to hate playing him. He doesn't need to be a legit #1 or even top pairing. We're good with Nurse as an anchor on our 2nd pair for the next decade plus. Nurse is already in some Sharks fans heads. After Haley's "lesson" or "destruction" as it was falsely termed via one username (Haley never even KOed Nurse and gave him huge props for fighting his own battles), Nurse finished the game +4 with an assist as we dominated the SJSs in their own building.

Develop our own they said, we're doing just that. We love what Nurse brings, so would every other team in the NHL if they're being objectively fair.

6God*

The issue is we are division rivals and we are helping out ANAs depth on the wing, plus we would be giving them Nurse.

So I'm clear, in a vacuum Vatanen is awesome for us. However, we have goals of owning the Pacific. ANAs on the down swing and I don't want to help them, their window is closing rapidly. SJS are still well ahead, ANA is conquerable in the coming years as Getzlaf and Perry lose a step and their bargain bin bottom 6 catches up to them.

Nurse might top out as a top 4, 2nd pairing defender. That's fine. He'll be 6'4 and well over 220 with elite skating and nastiness. Do we want to put in the patient years while he develops into a legit NHL Dman by the time he is 23-25? Essentially put in all the tough years from 20-23 dealing with his growing pains only to trade him before we get the benefit? **** no.

Value is fair for us (ANA fans might see it different). However, ANA is a rival and we need to conquer them. Their bottom 6 is a weak point going forward and their depth on D is a strength. We take the risk and I don't want to face Nurse for the next 10-15 years in the Pacific. This is a pass.

We'll develop our pup in Nurse, and when he's an alpha dog the Pacific teams are going to hate playing him. He doesn't need to be a legit #1 or even top pairing. We're good with Nurse as an anchor on our 2nd pair for the next decade plus. Nurse is already in some Sharks fans heads. After Haley's "lesson" or "destruction" as it was falsely termed via one username (Haley never even KOed Nurse and gave him huge props for fighting his own battles), Nurse finished the game +4 with an assist as we dominated the SJSs in their own building.

Develop our own they said, we're doing just that. We love what Nurse brings, so would every other team in the NHL if they're being objectively fair.

I don't see what he brings that Davidson doesn't in terms of on-ice product. Forget the big hits and fighting - Davidson will likely have the same effect in on-ice production and defensive play as Nurse over the next 5-10 years.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015

Yakapov is not the missing piece for their forwards. Nurse does nothing for them when lindholm,fowler, theodore, and larsson are LHD and 24 years and younger.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
I thought Despres was playing RD at times last year was he not? (I know he's LH)

youre right but that doesnt change that fact that he would be 4th on the ducks LHD chart. Larsson behind him so hes not a need and hes not the main piece that entices the ducks to move vatanen

6God*

Yakapov is not the missing piece for their forwards. Nurse does nothing for them when lindholm,fowler, theodore, and larsson are LHD and 24 years and younger.

Lol what is the missing piece or their forwards that they can possibly fit under their cap. Do you not recognize the relative cap emergency the Ducks have right now with Rakell (likely to get 3.5M+) and Lindholm (likely to get 5.5+) due for extensions?

Would you make that deal for Fowler instead?

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
Lol what is the missing piece or their forwards that they can possibly fit under their cap. Do you not recognize the relative cap emergency the Ducks have right now with Rakell (likely to get 3.5M+) and Lindholm (likely to get 5.5+) due for extensions?

Would you make that deal for Fowler instead?

rakell is not getting that much im sure. they will probably bridge him. And no nurse cant be the main piece because the ducks are stacked on LHD

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't even see them losing that much. Both Fowler and Lindholm can score 40 points if given the opportunity to do so (what trading Vatanen would do).

They have like 6M to sign Rakell (50pt pace scorer) and Lindholm (Likely to ask for 5.5M+), with still some holes up front.

I think this gives them the cap relief they need to make the signings, plus some solid up-and-comers in Yakupov+Nurse.

I just don't see the pointe of having Nurse in the fold with Sekera-Klefbom locking that position down for the next 5+ years. Hell, even Brandon Davidson is trending to be a top-4 defenseman one day.

:laugh:

Have you ever played playoff hockey at any level? (save the futility jokes, I've lived through the decade of darkness with the Oilers) Nurse is the type of high character player who will sacrifice his body to win. Can't measure that or find a spreadsheet to show that, guys rally around that. Same as football. Same as rugby. Same as lacrosse.

Teams will hate playing Nurse when he realizes he's the baddest man on the ice. He's still a lanky kid growing into his body. When he fills out and grows into becoming a man by his mid 20s or so, look out NHL.

For how good the Dmen are in the Pacific, we see it. The Cali fans get to see it regularly. I'm sure the Cali fans know what good Dmen look like, tell me honestly if you wouldn't want a kid like Nurse on your team right now in his early 20s with time to shape him into a 2nd pairing beast of a Dman? I think if you're being reasonable, you'll say ****ing rights, I'd want Nurse all day in my organization.

He's not Doughty, but he can be a slightly lighter Byfuglien with elite skating and the same nastiness in his game. Maybe not the offensive output as Buff, but his skating is in another tier compared to Buff. Nurse might already be among the elite of NHL Dmen in terms of skating.

6God*

youre right but that doesnt change that fact that he would be 4th on the ducks LHD chart. Larsson behind him so hes not a need and hes not the main piece that entices the ducks to move vatanen

Let's be real. Larsson is nowhere near Nurse's level right now. He's trending great, but as it stands Nurse is more NHL-ready than he is.

Lindholm Manson
Fowler Despres
Nurse Bieksa

Is how I imagine your depth for next year (don't know which of those RD gets more minutes tbh).

Yak is cheap and adds untapped depth to your wingers. Let's be real- that's a DRYYY set of wingers you have up there.

After Perry, Silf and (signed) Rakell you are reaching for scoring there.

And that's assuming Rakell gets signed without making a deal to open up cap space...

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Larsson (not Adam Larsson) is a beast. He'll be a top 4 Dman at the minimum in 3-5 years for you guys. Top pairing upside, he looked good for Sweden against his peers this year. Theo coming up, you have cheap options.

You're not really sacrificing anything by moving Vatanen relative to his skillset. You have such a deep pool of young D talent. We're sacrificing a lot and making an enemy better. Makes no sense.

If ANA wasn't in division, I'd likely consider pulling the trigger if he was going out East and we got someone of Vatanens talent in return.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Tough one for me because of Nurse's physicality and potential although I am unsure of whether he'll reach it or not. That said if we made this trade we'd be a playoff team IMO.

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Vatanen
Davidson-Reinhart
Fayne

I could definitely live with that defense especially with the crap that we've seen paraded in front of us on D since Pronger left. I think that I'd pull the trigger as an Oilers fan.

6God*

:laugh:

Have you ever played playoff hockey at any level? (save the futility jokes, I've lived through the decade of darkness with the Oilers) Nurse is the type of high character player who will sacrifice his body to win. Can't measure that or find a spreadsheet to show that, guys rally around that. Same as football. Same as rugby. Same as lacrosse.

Teams will hate playing Nurse when he realizes he's the baddest man on the ice. He's still a lanky kid growing into his body. When he fills out and grows into becoming a man by his mid 20s or so, look out NHL.

For how good the Dmen are in the Pacific, we see it. The Cali fans get to see it regularly. I'm sure the Cali fans know what good Dmen look like, tell me honestly if you wouldn't want a kid like Nurse on your team right now in his early 20s with time to shape him into a 2nd pairing beast of a Dman? I think if you're being reasonable, you'll say ****ing rights, I'd want Nurse all day in my organization.

He's not Doughty, but he can be a slightly lighter Byfuglien with elite skating and the same nastiness in his game. Maybe not the offensive output as Buff, but his skating is in another tier compared to Buff. Nurse might already be among the elite of NHL Dmen in terms of skating.

Sounds like what people were saying about Ladislav Smid.

I'll be honest about Darnell. His physicality and aggression excite me - it's a nice characteristic to see. But he leaves his position too much to exhibit these traits - and it rarely changes the outlook of the game/play when he does it.

His skating is elite, his shot is wildly inaccurate but strong. His ability to make breakout passes is average at best. His defensive positioning is average but trending towards strong heading forward. His ability to read the ice in front of him is average.

Again - I see a lot of "flash" but not much substance in him. People get excited talking about his physical tools as Doughty/Subban-esque - but the difference between them and the Rundblad's of the world is the toolbox. Nurse is by no means Rundblad - but I don't think the on-ice gains we get from his tools won't be as much as people are making it out to be.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
Let's be real. Larsson is nowhere near Nurse's level right now. He's trending great, but as it stands Nurse is more NHL-ready than he is.

Lindholm Manson
Fowler Despres
Nurse Bieksa

Is how I imagine your depth for next year (don't know which of those RD gets more minutes tbh).

Yak is cheap and adds untapped depth to your wingers. Let's be real- that's a DRYYY set of wingers you have up there.

After Perry, Silf and (signed) Rakell you are reaching for scoring there.

And that's assuming Rakell gets signed without making a deal to open up cap space...

wheres theodore? theodore is better than nurse right now. But yes larsson and i even said he is behind nurse. so why move a great young RHD for something you have a ton of.

6God*

wheres theodore? theodore is better than nurse right now. But yes larsson and i even said he is behind nurse. so why move a great young RHD for something you have a ton of.

Forgot about Theodore. Jeez the Ducks churn out elite defensemen like an assembly line. They truly have no need for Nurse. What a disgustingly good depth chart.

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
Larsson (not Adam Larsson) is a beast. He'll be a top 4 Dman at the minimum in 3-5 years for you guys. Top pairing upside, he looked good for Sweden against his peers this year. Theo coming up, you have cheap options.

You're not really sacrificing anything by moving Vatanen relative to his skillset. You have such a deep pool of young D talent. We're sacrificing a lot and making an enemy better. Makes no sense.

If ANA wasn't in division, I'd likely consider pulling the trigger if he was going out East and we got someone of Vatanens talent in return.
Exactly. Larsson is looking great. So trading vatanen for another good young LHD when they already have lindholm, fowler, theodore and larsson would be dumb asset management.

The only one with Vatanens skill set is Montour and Theodore. But Vatanen is a RHD and those are always sought after.

6God*

I feel a player like Benoit Pouliot would meet a lot of the Ducks needs - is there any way Vatanen+capdump are made available for him?

lindholmie

Feb 22, 2015
I feel a player like Benoit Pouliot would meet a lot of the Ducks needs - is there any way Vatanen+capdump are made available for him?

you must have missed those pouliot + yak proposals lol. They were always the same. Pouliot is old and has never reached 40 points etc...
Putting cap dumps to a vatanen trade is again dumb asset managment. I dont see him being trade when he just re-signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad