Rumor: Varlamov won't waive for Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
And probably most Canadian teams.

NHL needs to solution their provincial/state tax disparity or get rid of the cap.

Canadian teams make the NHL the most money but bc of higher tax rates, players don't like playing here.
I wouldn't removing NTC or NMC clauses entirely. OR make them full and unwaivable. So they aren't given out like freaking candy.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It's very hard to predict, but it seems unlikely to me that Varlamov gets traded. His salary next year is a problem for the Avs, and retention (or taking back salary for 2022-2023) doesn't make any sense from NYI's point of view. I never thought it likely he would waive for EDM.

Reactions: The Pale King

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He has a 10 team no trade clause. Reportedly oilers, jets, sabres, kracken, flames are also on the list. I think a NYI fan posted the complete list.

So the oilers are not alone in teams he won't go to

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
..and probably said no to most Canadian teams as many players do.

NHL needs to solution their provincial/state tax disparity or get rid of the cap.

Canadian teams make the NHL the most money but bc of higher tax rates, players don't like playing here.

I'm sure going from paying 47.46% in NYI to 47.56% in Edmonton would be ruinous for him. Definitely not just a fan of the leagues richest team complaining that the Leafs can't just buy cups.

Also, if there were a huge disparity in tax between the two cities how would getting rid of the salary cap change that? He doesn't negotiate a new contract when he gets to Edmonton.

Semyon Varlamov Income Tax Calculator Results - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

This 100%. Great post.

It’s ironic how so many Canadian teams hire bad GMs and the no-state income tax teams and geographically favourable (sometimes both) hire genius GMs.

I do realize that many US teams have the same tax challenges as the Canadian teams but then ask yourself…
Between Edmonton and New York…
Better weather?
Less travel?
Lifestyle?
Fishbowl effect?
Pressure?

There is a reason no Canadian team has won a Cup in 30 years.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
A player not wanting to play with potentially two best players in the league. Its a shocker.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I'm sure going from paying 47.46% in NYI to 47.56% in Edmonton would be ruinous for him. Definitely not just a fan of the leagues richest team complaining that the Leafs can't just buy cups.

Also, if there were a huge disparity in tax between the two cities how would getting rid of the salary cap change that? He doesn't negotiate a new contract when he gets to Edmonton.

Semyon Varlamov Income Tax Calculator Results - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Regardless, there is no coincidence that if managed well, the top teams will be Seattle, Dallas, Florida, Tampa, and Vegas more often then not unless it's fixed.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That's a little surprising because he could actually make them a good team, Mcdavid, Driasatil and Kane, assuming they keep Kane, with an actual good goalie is a very good team.

Varlamov could be the piece in net they need.

I'm surprised he doesn't want to play with 2 of the top 4 players in the world

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
That's a little surprising because he could actually make them a good team, Mcdavid, Driasatil and Kane, assuming they keep Kane, with an actual good goalie is a very good team.

Varlamov could be the piece in net they need.

I'm surprised he doesn't want to play with 2 of the top 4 players in the world

Whatever his reasons they seem important enough to him to axe this trade. Holland is going to be a lot better at his job than he has been to land the goalie the team badly needs.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

kerrabria

May 3, 2018

I doubt that. People specifically don't want to go to Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Ottawa. Players waive for Vancouver all the time, and none of Toronto, Calgary, or Montreal have had difficulty signing free agents.

And I bet that Edmonton, Alberta has a lower overall tax burden than Nassau County, New York.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

They have no problem going to NYC or LA... There are many other things than taxes at play here, fans and media seems to be a significant amount of it (like it or it).

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I don’t think it’s about the money with EDM. They are a tire fire and hang goalies out to dry. Varlamov wants to win if he’s getting moved and EDM doesn’t have a shot.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I doubt that. People specifically don't want to go to Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Ottawa. Players waive for Vancouver all the time, and none of Toronto, Calgary, or Montreal have had difficulty signing free agents.

And I bet that Edmonton, Alberta has a lower overall tax burden than Nassau County, New York.

Actually a lot of players seem to have all Canadian teams in their NTC.

common12

Sep 10, 2011

Sounds like Canadians should start voting for people who will lower taxes. I dont see why the NHL should in anyway change their business model to favor high tax locations. The states have the same issues with the difference between states like California and NY to states like Texas and Florida.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad