Value of: Varlamov to the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Fair enough,

I'm just personally going to look at Jack Campbell's entire 79 game body of work as the Leafs starter and choose to look at the first 60 starts where he was basically our MVP and choose to accept the ~19 starts where he was completely below average. Lots is made of his S% month by month, when in reality he was the only reason we were winning with any consistency until the COVID pause.

I still have a ton of faith in Jack. I don't expect other fanbases to understand that. But when Jack is on his game his ability to track the play is outstanding. I really think he will be fine. Mrazek on the other hand is a complete dumpster fire, and would love to move him out. I genuinely think he is the worst fit for our crease. Way too busy. I would love Varlamov, but just not at a price that makes any sense for the Islanders to move him.

I'll also note, that I really don't think this is a year where TOR can do much damage anyways. So I'd prefer retaining our picks and rolling the dice with what we have. We have been hemorrhaging picks in years past and with the terrible news about Rodian Amirov, we need to keep our 1st IMO. Some may disagree with that, but the Leafs still have a lot of decent prospects close to making an impact (Knies, Robertson, Holmberg, Abruzzse, Neimela, Steeves...etc). I just don't see this immediate need to go "all in" this year knowing how deep the Atlantic Division playoffs will be. No matter what, the Leafs will likely be playing TB, FLA, BOS or CAR in R1. It would take a complete miracle for the Leafs to advance past the divisional component of the playoffs onward to the ECF and beyond. f*** they'll be in tough just to get past R1. For me, I really think our "All-in" years are the next 2 after this season. I know the hockey world will love another Leafs R1 exit, and I pray that doesn't happen, but we are almost guaranteed to be an underdog in any R1 series. It's really not all that unlikely if you ask me. Just the way she goes. I've waited over 30 years for a cup, I can wait a handful more. Just don't mortgage the future for a sliver of a shot at the hardest trophy in pro sport. Take your shot when you actually have a good chance

The problem is neither Jack, nor Marazek have been on their game since Novemer.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Either a 1st or something around Knies/Robertson is what I’d want as an NYI fan.
Nick Robertson? Nick Robertson who scored at a PPG pace in his draft year and is 5'9" and hasn't scored as a pro Nick Robertson? I'll take a 2nd round pick instead and take my chances, thank you very much.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nick Robertson? Nick Robertson who scored at a PPG pace in his draft year and is 5'9" and hasn't scored as a pro Nick Robertson? I'll take a 2nd round pick instead and take my chances, thank you very much.

Nick Robertson actually has scored as a pro

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Nick Robertson actually has scored as a pro
I didn't mean he has never scored as a pro. I mean he hasn't scored as a pro to the extent I'd trade Varlamov for him (ie, I'd rather have a 2nd round pick).

1 goal and 1 assist in the NHL and .75 points per game in the AHL doesn't excite me for a guy who isn't built to be a bottom 6 player.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Leafs' first rounder is fair for Varlamov.

Add another impact piece to the trade if you want NYI to take that horrid Mrazek contract on.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Ignorance is bliss.
Alternatively, bliss is ignorance when you overvalue your team's prospect. Robertson is a smallish, skill guy who doesn't project as a bottom 6 player. And he hasn't been setting the world on fire producing points. Not saying he's a lost cause by a longshot, but I'd say there are red flags and would prefer a different asset in a trade. He seems to be on a Jost trajectory, and he got traded today so the Avs can improve their bottom 6 and get a bit of cap space.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Varlamov lives in the US in the offseason. Think he has for some time now. Sorokin, from what I can tell, does not. IMO it is very risky for NYI to go into next season without a starting goalie. It's a really unusual time, and I don't think any of us really know what could happen next year. Given that, I think NYI ought to keep their goalies.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Alternatively, bliss is ignorance when you overvalue your team's prospect. Robertson is a smallish, skill guy who doesn't project as a bottom 6 player. And he hasn't been setting the world on fire producing points. Not saying he's a lost cause by a longshot, but I'd say there are red flags and would prefer a different asset in a trade. He seems to be on a Jost trajectory, and he got traded today so the Avs can improve their bottom 6 and get a bit of cap space.
There aren't red flags. Admittedly there's been health issues but he's progressing well and has a similar track record to his brother. He may never reach his brothers level but he will be an NHL player and id wager a pretty good one at that.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Jost? you need to watch Robertson more

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I dunno...maybe the Leafs second round pick?

22 first round pick, 22 second round pick, and Mzarek for Varlamov?
No way should or will the Isles take on the Mzarek contract. Why would they trade away Very to get a much worse goalie and only save peanuts on the cap as well as being on the hook for longer?

Toronto will need to find a different taker for that contract, but I can see the Isles taking on the likes of Dermott and Campbell

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Maybe the leafs could trade mrazek to a team like Buffalo or Arizona but I don’t see the isles taking him. Varlamov would do well in toronto tho. He has been good this year despite his record and injury at the beginning of season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad